F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > BMW F30 LCI Headlight change
Extreme Powerhouse

01-03-2024, 10:07 AM   #1
Jakarl
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

BMW F30 LCI Headlight change

I have a BMW F30 (12/2015) LCI with Halogen Lights, and I want to swap them with normal LED lights. I found a cheap pair from another BMW F30/F31 LCI model and wanted to know if the installation will be easy and if my car support LED lights without needing to change any pins or anything else.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 10:35 AM   #2
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT

if you have halogen lights it would be easier, and probably cheaper, to go with aftermarket LED headlights. they make a version that plug right into the halogen connection, so you don't need to do any wiring modifications. I believe LED headlights are not plug and play with your car if you go the OEM route.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 03:25 PM   #3
Jakarl
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik View Post
if you have halogen lights it would be easier, and probably cheaper, to go with aftermarket LED headlights. they make a version that plug right into the halogen connection, so you don't need to do any wiring modifications. I believe LED headlights are not plug and play with your car if you go the OEM route.
I did find the aftermarket LED Lights as well but they are actually 2 times more expensive than the used original LED ones that I found. So, with original LEDs do you need to replace the pins or is it just more finicky do install them?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2024, 03:29 PM   #4
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarl View Post
I did find the aftermarket LED Lights as well but they are actually 2 times more expensive than the used original LED ones that I found. So, with original LEDs do you need to replace the pins or is it just more finicky do install them?
i bet the LED OEM lights are cheap because they don't have any of the modules attached to them, the computers that connect to the back of the headlight. the headlights won't work without them. that's just my hunch.

you also don't need those modules if you go aftermarket. As far as making the connections work with your car that came with Halogens, I don't know the exact answer to that unfortunately, maybe someone else can answer.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 07:08 AM   #5
Jakarl
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxik View Post
i bet the LED OEM lights are cheap because they don't have any of the modules attached to them, the computers that connect to the back of the headlight. the headlights won't work without them. that's just my hunch.

you also don't need those modules if you go aftermarket. As far as making the connections work with your car that came with Halogens, I don't know the exact answer to that unfortunately, maybe someone else can answer.
Are the modules needed only if you have Adaptive LED or do you need them for normal LEDs as well?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2024, 07:21 AM   #6
toxik
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakarl View Post
Are the modules needed only if you have Adaptive LED or do you need them for normal LEDs as well?
yeah both standard and adaptive have modules. they technically both use the same set of modules, same part numbers. i believe there’s 4 of them.
Appreciate 0