E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Abs/dsc/szl fault. Help needed!

12-09-2023, 06:06 PM   #1
vxllee_
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e91 320d, F11 520d

Exclamation Abs/dsc/szl fault. Help needed!

Hello,
I have a 2006 e91 320d that i got as a winter beater a few months back and it has been giving me a bit of a headache. I bought it for cheap because it had the common abs/brake/dct lights on the dash. Originally i thought it was just a bad sensor or a ring but it turns out i was wrong.
Upon investigation i noticed that the front right ws-sensor was not getting any voltage. I checked the wiring from the dsc module to the sensor and all seemed ok. I got a second hand dsc module from a junkyard and changed it since i thought that would be the issue but there still was not any voltage coming from the pins corresponding to the abs sensor. I tried to program the new pump using ista p, but for some reason the steering angle sensor adjustment always fails. I cant adjust it in ista d or tool 32 either. When i run diagnostics it gives codes 5E50 and 5E43, steering angle sensor: serial number: calibration required and adjustment required.
I cant read the szl with inpa, ista and tool 32. The live reading always stays at zero. All of this was happening without the szl being touched at all, and im wondering if it even has anything to do with the missing voltage at the abs sensor.
Has anyone had similar problems. Im starting to lose confidence with this fix Im not even sure these two thing are connected anymore since it seems weird that a szl not having been calibrated would affect the wheel speed sensor signal. I also tried to swap the szl for another one but had no success with the coding with that one either.
Is anyone able to help me sort this out?
Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2023, 03:30 AM   #2
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Sounds joyous. You need @gbalthrop.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 04:05 PM   #3
vxllee_
Registered
Rep

Indeed. Is @gbalthrop an expert on this matter? Im new on this forum so i dont know anyone by username.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 05:01 PM   #4
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Yeah. He's the resident electrics/diagnostics/wiring expert. Or at least he's one of them

Not sure why I can't tag him - doesn't seem to work in this browser. Maybe you can find him and send a PM?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 04:23 AM   #5
vxllee_
Registered
Rep

Thank you. Unfortunately it seems im am not allowed to PM anyone. Assuming its because my account is so new. I'll try to tag him once more in hopes he sees this thread. gbalthrop
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 05:54 AM   #6
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Just so you're ahead of the game - he'll need the last 7 digits of your vin so he can look up wiring diagrams etc
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 05:11 PM   #7
vxllee_
Registered
Rep

I managed to resolve the problem finally. Im updating this in case someone else has a similar problem.
I reinstalled the original dsc pump and module because i concluded that the replacement pump was not communicating with the szl. This ended up curing the steering angle sensor problem. I used inpa to bleed the brakes properly and after the bleeding procedure i opened up Ista P and ran the whole dsc programming and coding process. To my pleasant surprise the steering angle sensor adjustment went through and the lights turned off.
I dont know if the front right abs sensor is supposed to get a 12 V supply because before these programmings i was not getting any. But since my lights are now out im thinking that maybe the sensor is passive?
Anyway it ended up being a software issue and im assuming that the previous owner had done something incorrectly since i ended up fixing it without replacement parts.
At least this experience introduced me to bmw standard tools and ista which is a great thing for the future.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2023, 05:43 PM   #8
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Nice one
Appreciate 0