BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-12-2023, 03:33 PM   #1
BeEmVee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive 40i

Roof rack cross bars color and design

Let’s say I have the black shadowline trim and want to add a roof rack. It seems BMW only makes this part in the silver/chrome color. Are there any nice racks that fit perfectly and come in a darker color? Even gunmetal grey would be fine. I just wouldn’t want an otherwise blacked out car to have a light colored roof rack.

Side question: Why are the X5 roof rails flush with the roof, but are raised such that there is a 2” gap on the X7? Thinking for example of transporting a Christmas tree.. this could be done the old school way with just rope on the X7, but not on the X5 as there is no gap to tie the rope down under the X5 roof rails.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2023, 11:01 PM   #2
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Thule wingbar has a black version.

E70 had raised rail but F15 and G05 has flush rail.

My observation is larger SUV / lower end car / older car tends to have raised rail for practicality reason, smaller car / luxury car / newer model tends to have flush rail for aesthetic reason I suppose?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 09:14 AM   #3
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Yakima has a solution as well.

Also REI has both Thule and Yakima products on sale at 20% through the 20th. I just ordered the Yakima racks (They are a US Company).

Or you could get the BMW OEM racks and then wrap the cross bar with black. I was going to go that route but after measuring the Yakima, I think there is a substantial difference in height, so I went ahead and paid the extra $300 for them.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 11:03 AM   #4
BeEmVee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscot View Post

Also REI has both Thule and Yakima products on sale at 20% through the 20th. I just ordered the Yakima racks (They are a US Company).

Or you could get the BMW OEM racks and then wrap the cross bar with black. I was going to go that route but after measuring the Yakima, I think there is a substantial difference in height, so I went ahead and paid the extra $300 for them.
Great info. And these racks clip right into the roof rails and fit securely?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 12:32 PM   #5
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5

Quote:

I used to think there is a substantial height difference, but at least after measure OEM vs Thule, the difference is like 1/4". I think the fact that OEM is silver make it stand out a lot more. I don't think wrapping the bar will work, because you slide things on top of the bar during installation of the attachment (say, a box), so wrap will be scraped off in no time. I think power coat of anodization, or other form of tougher finish may owrk.
      11-13-2023, 05:36 PM   #6
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah someone on here measured for me (I can't remember who but I thank them!) and they said it was about 1/4" but when I went to REI this weekend and measured the Yakimas they were about 2.5" tall which I think is more than 1/4".
I do know that Yakima has an old model of flush mounts that are discontinued and the sightline model is newer. Maybe that's the difference?

Anyway, I ordered some and I will report back here when I have both the X5 and the bars. Hopefully this weekend???
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 05:50 PM   #7
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah someone on here measured for me (I can't remember who but I thank them!) and they said it was about 1/4" but when I went to REI this weekend and measured the Yakimas they were about 2.5" tall which I think is more than 1/4".
I do know that Yakima has an old model of flush mounts that are discontinued and the sightline model is newer. Maybe that's the difference?

Anyway, I ordered some and I will report back here when I have both the X5 and the bars. Hopefully this weekend???
I think I am the one measured oem vs Thule windbar evo.

Maybe after you put yahima on the roof, can you measure from a roof glass to top of bar? I just out on oem in my 45e preparing for winter trip, I can do the same measurement tonight. So we can have apple to apple comparison.

Hmm, are you referring to this model? https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=lFRl04Mfr6k looks way more than 2.5" above the flash rail to me.

Last edited by eelnoraa; 11-13-2023 at 06:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 07:29 PM   #8
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Most of the aftermarket cross-bars have the bars, feet, and locks as separate items. That does mean that you might get to reuse them on another vehicle after buying new feet. The OEM bars for the X5 do fit some of their other models, so if you wanted to sell them later, that's potentially useful. The OEM ones also come with locks, which is usually an extra cost item for the aftermarket ones.

I wouldn't leave the bars on except when using them, so ultimate looks is kind of a non-issue to me, as I can't see them while driving, and when done, they come off.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 08:25 PM   #9
BeEmVee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Yes, please do report back!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2023, 09:26 PM   #10
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The 1/4” I refer to is difference between oem and Thule, measure from glass to top of bar.

Here is measurement and picture for oem:
- Glass to top of bar at the edge of sun
Roof - 4-3/4”. It does depend on where to measure. Center of the sunroof is higher, so to top of bar will be slight less.

- top of rail to top of bar - 3-7/8” (slightly less than 4”).
Attached Images

11-16-2023, 02:38 PM   #11
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eelnoraa View Post
Hmm, are you referring to this model? https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=lFRl04Mfr6k looks way more than 2.5" above the flash rail to me.
I think that's it. I measured it at REI and it didn't have the rubber adapter feet that you order separately based on your car, it looks like that adds another 1/4" or so, which IIRC would still put it at 3".

I pick up the car tomorrow. Should have the bars on after Thanksgiving weekend.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 06:17 PM   #12
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep

Well. I stand corrected. The Yakima is a hair under 5” from glass to top of bar at the edge of the moonroof.
I’m probably going to return and get the oem.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2023, 06:32 PM   #13
eelnoraa
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well. I stand corrected. The Yakima is a hair under 5” from glass to top of bar at the edge of the moonroof.
I’m probably going to return and get the oem.
did you get one and measured?
      11-28-2023, 06:46 PM   #14
mscot
First Lieutenant
Rep

I did. Once you add the rubber feet and factor in the angle that the body sits at on the rail its substantially taller than it seemed in the store.
I didn't take photos b/c I only installed one rail.

I'm going to see if my dealer will price match online like they did for the black grill and if so I'll get OEM and return these to REI. It will save me $200 even with the Yakimas being 20% off when I bought them.
Appreciate 1
eelnoraa2058.00