ST3FAN
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 xDrive40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 40i  [9.25]
Ceramic Coating for body and rims

I have a 2022 BMW X5 40i M Sport with the 22” Black 742M Rims. Absolutely love the look of the rims but they are a lot of work to keep clean.

Anyone have any recommendations for Cermamic coating they used on their rims that worked well?

The brake dust starts accumulating immediately within the first few miles of driving after cleaning them.

Also want to ceramic coat the body.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2023, 05:34 PM   #2
malvern_man
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 40i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST3FAN View Post
I have a 2022 BMW X5 40i M Sport with the 22” Black 742M Rims. Absolutely love the look of the rims but they are a lot of work to keep clean.

Anyone have any recommendations for Cermamic coating they used on their rims that worked well?

The brake dust starts accumulating immediately within the first few miles of driving after cleaning them.

Also want to ceramic coat the body.
My gloss black 22's are ceramic coated with Gyeon Q˛ Rim, faces and barrels. I 'top up' the coating with Gyeon Wet Coat ( this is a spray and rinse product ) every couple of washes.

The paintwork is ceramic coated with Gyeon Q˛ MOHS EVO.

Appreciate 3
ST3FAN3.00
eluded3065.50
      11-11-2023, 06:22 PM   #3
Norbimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i3 120, iX 50

I do ceramic coat my cars and highly recommend it as the maintenance is easier and it adds a certain degree of protection. However it is important to have the right expectations of the effect. The car and rims will be easier to clean, absolutely, but they will not be ”self-cleaning”, you will still accumulate brake dust, your car will get dirty and it will need to get a proper wash (contact) to get really clean.
Appreciate 2
      11-21-2023, 02:34 PM   #4
RPA8888
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbimmer View Post
I do ceramic coat my cars and highly recommend it as the maintenance is easier and it adds a certain degree of protection. However it is important to have the right expectations of the effect. The car and rims will be easier to clean, absolutely, but they will not be ”self-cleaning”, you will still accumulate brake dust, your car will get dirty and it will need to get a proper wash (contact) to get really clean.
This is good information and is reflective of what I've experienced as well. A ceramic coating or even a good polymer sealant will make a big difference when cleaning the wheels. Road film - particularly from driving in wet or raining conditions will still form on the car and wheels. Easily cleaned off however. The main advantage is that the process to clean either the painted exterior of the vehicle, or the wheels will be less likely to produce scratches to the finishes.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 02:03 AM   #5
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

What do people use for ceramic protection for DIY?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2023, 11:22 AM   #6
CGG
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G05 x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post
There are lots of different options. I use Car Pro products for ceramic coating - either CQUARTZ UK 3.0 or CQUARTZ SiC. The SIC gives a slightly higher gloss. Both are good products and easy enough to apply.

Of course the ceramic coating is only as good as the paint prep before coating. For body paint you should prepare with a good dual action orbital paint polish. I would just apply strait to the rims with no prep other than a good wash.
Appreciate 1
eluded3065.50
      11-22-2023, 03:07 PM   #7
RPA8888
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911

I've used the CarPro products too and have had good success with them. Gyeon products are also really great (the Gyeon Prep is the best product of its type I think.)
Many of the ceramic coating products are formulated from a very few sources in South Korea. Fundamentally they are all pretty similar I think.

I used the CarPro Cquartz UK 3.0 product on three of my cars (exterior paint and wheels.) There are some informative YouTube videos that help one become familiarized with the process. As has been stated previously, the finished outcome is largely dependent on the condition / state of the paint. Any imperfections in the paint will be "sealed" in so to speak unless they are properly addressed before the ceramic sealant is applied.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      11-22-2023, 09:14 PM   #8
modesa
Private
Rep
Drives: Maybe x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by eluded View Post

This guy tests a bunch

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08LCZ51BY

I use this one, seems to work pretty well, water beads off my paint and it cleans up pretty easily with just a pressure washer and a leafblower. Worth the $20.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 10:53 AM   #9
08bonnie
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: JLU Wrangler

Curious if anyone takes their wheels off to clean them. Once off, they would be a snap to clean and you could do an incredibly thorough job. How much of a pain would it be to remove the wheels with the standard jack and pry bar?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2024, 11:09 AM   #10
mobilejo
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G06 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08bonnie View Post
Curious if anyone takes their wheels off to clean them. Once off, they would be a snap to clean and you could do an incredibly thorough job. How much of a pain would it be to remove the wheels with the standard jack and pry bar?
I take my wheels off when I need to (not to clean them, I'm not that thorough) and it is very quick but get yourself:

- a good trolley jack,
- a good long bar for undoing the wheel bolts,
- a torque wrench
- and a wheel bolt hole alignment pin to make getting the wheels back on easier.

With the right tools its a simple and quick task but with poor tools its a total pain.

Amd yes, once off, if you wanted to clean them it would be a dream. You could clean the barrells and back sides properly, clean the wheel bolt holes & under the centre caps and apply your coatings,etc.

Last edited by mobilejo; 01-12-2024 at 07:07 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2024, 09:44 PM   #11
aussieintexas
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 SO/SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by malvern_man View Post
My gloss black 22's are ceramic coated with Gyeon Q˛ Rim, faces and barrels. I 'top up' the coating with Gyeon Wet Coat ( this is a spray and rinse product ) every couple of washes.

The paintwork is ceramic coated with Gyeon Q˛ MOHS EVO.
What colour is that?
2011 - 2006 E46 M3 Conv SMG Black/black - great (except for SMG) (Perth, Aust). 1st foray into M's -slippery slope (sold 2013)
ED 2009 E90 335i - Le Mans, (sold 2010)[URL="http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365925
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 07:09 AM   #12
chicagofan00
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60i  [10.00]
Quote:
As already stated, with the right tools it doesn’t take long to take the wheels on or put them back on but the overall process of doing them one at a time just to clean them would be a pain in the ass except maybe once or twice a year. To have to take a wheel off, clean it up really good, dry it off, clean up the calipers, dry them off, and then put the wheel back on and go around doing that 3 more times…I’d only want to be doing a wheels off cleaning if I had access to a lift.

Current - 2024 G05 X5 ///M60i in Java Green
Past - 2005 E53 X5 3.0i in Titanium Silver; 2008 E92 335i in Montego Blue; 2019 G01 X3 M40i in Glacier Silver; 2022 G80 M3 Competition in Twilight Purple
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2024, 08:00 AM   #13
ScaldedDog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Quote:
I clean mine when I do tire rotations but not between, even with a lift. We paid to have my wife's 45e coated, but I DIY'd my GX with Gyeon Mohs and Rim. It is every bit the equal of the commercial job, even with nearly twice as many miles. Rim does .ake cleaning the wheels much easier.

Mark
Appreciate 0