BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

11-14-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
CTB
Rep
Drives:

Has anyone found rear bars available for the 1?

Hi all. New member here, excited about the new 1-series coupe! I did a quick search and found so many threads about understeer that I thought this question would get lost in the shuffle.

EDIT: I originally had this in the "general" forum before I realized there was a suspension forum.

Without debating what is/is not needed by the car, I just wanted to ask what companies make aftermarket bars (and in particular rear ones) for the 1-series. If the coupe uses the same installation as the hatches, I would think that there is already a selection out there to choose from, given how long the hatches have been available in Europe. However, I have not yet found any, or anything that confirms if the coupe can use hatch bars. The Eibach site lists kits for the 1er, but not bar-only kits. As I live in the land of horrible roads, I'm not looking to lower or stiffen up the spring rates on a daily driver, so I'm looking for bar suggestions. I pretty much tune everything I get my hands on (it's the racer blood, I guess), and I'd bet the 1er would be no exception. Since I'm most interested in the 128i, perhaps the answer will be to graft on a 135 bar, but we won't know that for a while.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 10:48 AM   #2
stelthy
1 Series Wanna-Be
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Good question, I am thinking the same thing. A bigger rear bar is a quick and usually cheap way to reduce understeer. Which according to the reviews this car exhibits at slower speeds.

I was looking at the installs on the 335, and it looks a lot harder than the average rear sway bar install. And it looks like the 1 series coupe will have that same configuration.

It looks like we will have to drop the rear sub-frame down, while watching the brake lines...

I agree with you also that I don't want the harsher ride usually associated with springs, let alone coilovers. Sway bars have worked well for me in the past, and I usually leave them on the car when I sell it. Nobody usually even notices....
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 03:11 PM   #3
CTB
Rep
Drives:

I've got bars on my current daily driver which significantly altered the roll couples on it to my liking, and I've been very happy with the results for over 6 years. I'd bet the 1er will be a very good starting point (like my current car was) and that just a little tweak would make it just like I like. But so far, info is slim. Hopefully we'll find out something soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 08:48 PM   #4
rbh
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Swaybars for 135

Tire rack already shows them
http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...08&autoModClar=
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 09:17 PM   #5
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbh View Post
Very surprising. I would never get an aftermarket sway that wasn't adjustable though. I'm sure that in 5 months, we'll have a few more options available (and tested already by our European friends).
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2007, 05:04 AM   #6
CTB
Rep
Drives:

Ah, these were put up since I last checked Tire Rack. Looks like choices are starting to roll in. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 02:50 AM   #7
Mike Roberts
Sideways just kicked in, yo!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Hartge ones have been available for a while for the 1 over here, but the main factor is the front tyre width (and the crappy runflats) a slight increase in this will bring the neutrality back.

M3 control arms, ARBs, bushes and some other stuff....
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2007, 08:03 AM   #8
UR2SLOW1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Does anyone know the diameter of the OEM Sway Bars for the 135 ???
Appreciate 0