BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-29-2007, 04:06 PM   #1
C_Topher
Seņor Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Badge Delete?

Specifically, I want to leave off the "135i" designator on the back of the vehicle. Is this a real option from the manufacturer, or does the dealer rip it off? (I want the same for the dealer sticker, BTW, unless they are willing to cut me $500 for doing their advertising)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 04:11 PM   #2
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

I suspect that, if someone knows the correct order code, this can be accomplished with a factory order.

I agree 100% about dealer badges. :bs:
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 04:11 PM   #3
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

You can do it yourself with some fishing line, Goo-gone, and a hair dryer. There's no option for badge delete in North America.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 04:23 PM   #4
tommy
Benz Interloper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Benz C230, 1990 CRX ZcSi

Seriously, it takes two minutes to do yourself. Just do it as soon as you get the car.

Tell your dealership to not put any sh*t on your car, and they won't. I've never had a problem with them slapping their label on my car when they know I don't want it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 04:36 PM   #5
bradford
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 SGM 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post

Tell your dealership to not put any sh*t on your car, and they won't.
Yep, and that includes a front plate, even though they're required in IL.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 04:41 PM   #6
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
You can do it yourself with some fishing line, Goo-gone, and a hair dryer.
So BMW doesn't mount their badges using holes in the metal? Some manufacturers do, and that means you have to fill the holes and repaint.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 04:47 PM   #7
dieselchas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
So BMW doesn't mount their badges using holes in the metal? Some manufacturers do, and that means you have to fill the holes and repaint.
The only badge that has holes in the metal is the actual roundel, all the model designators on the trunk are adhesive. But it is a darn strong adhesive.

I am one for debadging. I like to keep the rest of the world guessing!
      10-29-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
Templedogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, Trailblazer SS, 1934 PU

I am one for leaving the badge on and being proud of what I am actually driving and letting the world know what it is. Removing the badge to me always makes me question if the car was wrecked or something and repainted. The worst though is removing and replacing with something the car is not.....that is plain stupid.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 05:09 PM   #9
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradford View Post
You can do it yourself with some fishing line, Goo-gone, and a hair dryer. There's no option for badge delete in North America.
And the sequence is:

- hair dryer to soften the glue bond
- fishing line/dental floss between the badge in question and sheet metal to remove the badge
- Goo Gone (or my favorite, 3M Adhesive Cleaner) to clean up the glue residue

Finish up with a little polish and wax and it's like it was never there!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 05:50 PM   #10
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templedogg View Post
I am one for leaving the badge on and being proud of what I am actually driving and letting the world know what it is. Removing the badge to me always makes me question if the car was wrecked or something and repainted. The worst though is removing and replacing with something the car is not.....that is plain stupid.
Well said Templedogg. How the hell did we get to a point in society where people actually believe they are improving their car by taking parts like the factory badging off? Its the most insanely stupid trend going right now. Oh wait...I get it, the car will be lighter and faster without a badge.

Remember all the fools in the early to mid 90s that wore their jeans hanging half way off their ass and their underwear sticking 3 inches up over their pants, a la Marky Mark? Those dumb asses most have all grown up and decided to start taking the badges off their cars.

Every decade there's sure to be another retarded trend that spreads like wildfire. What ever happened to baby Daytons and wheel spacers? 10 years ago, you couldn't beat wiggers out of that stupid crap with a Louisville slugger. And debadging is every bit as stupid.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 06:07 PM   #11
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

I like the idea of debadging. My 332ti is the perfect sleeper. I toyed with rebadging it as a 332ti, but I like it clean shaven better. :wink:

If anybody cares to think I'm an easy kill.. Bwhahaha..... 1. stomp with rt foot, 2. Watch image getting smaller in rear view (pure evil)
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 06:11 PM   #12
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
If anybody cares to think I'm an easy kill..
Most people who drive around interested in "kills" will be able to tell the difference between a 128i and 135i just by looking at them.

Besides, with 230hp and 0-60 in 6.1 seconds, the 128i will hardly be an "easy kill".

Why not take the BMW badges off, too. Maybe people will mistake it for an Elantra!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 06:13 PM   #13
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templedogg View Post
I'm in agreement with you. As if the darkened bumper wont give you away. Plus, it wont matter if its a 128 or 135i. There both gonna be quick as hell! But if thats what floats your boat go for it.
      10-29-2007, 06:25 PM   #14
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List

I know I will get flamed for this, but I hate it when people de-badge cars. Either you bought a smaller less powerful version of a car, or your ego needs a boost by blowing some poor unsuspecting fool away.

What's the purpose of de-badging?

--It's almost as bad as people putting M badges on a non-M car
      10-29-2007, 06:28 PM   #15
dieselchas
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
Well said Templedogg. How the hell did we get to a point in society where people actually believe they are improving their car by taking parts like the factory badging off? Its the most insanely stupid trend going right now. Oh wait...I get it, the car will be lighter and faster without a badge.

Remember all the fools in the early to mid 90s that wore their jeans hanging half way off their ass and their underwear sticking 3 inches up over their pants, a la Marky Mark? Those dumb asses most have all grown up and decided to start taking the badges off their cars.

Every decade there's sure to be another retarded trend that spreads like wildfire. What ever happened to baby Daytons and wheel spacers? 10 years ago, you couldn't beat wiggers out of that stupid crap with a Louisville slugger. And debadging is every bit as stupid.

WOW!!! Sorry man, I will pull my pants up. I did not know they went hand in hand.

I just like the cleaner look. To each is there own I guess.
      10-29-2007, 06:34 PM   #16
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

Don't get me wrong, I'm passionate and obsessive-compulsive so I go off the deep end in a second.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 06:36 PM   #17
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm passionate and obsessive-compulsive so I go off the deep end in a second.
This is true. I absolutely HATED you and didnt even know you many many months ago. So glad we dont collide as much anymore.
      10-29-2007, 07:17 PM   #18
redwood
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1999 BMW 328i

Badge deleting is very common in Europe. So much so that it is an option there. I believe I recall the E46 M3 having that as a no cost option in the U.S. too, but I could be wrong. I decided to debadge my 3 after seeing footage (on Fifth Gear I believe) on the streets and really liking the clean look it provides.

As for the original question, even if it is not an option, they are easy to remove yourself and there are no visible signs of it being there before if done right.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 07:36 PM   #19
kamakazitp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica

whats with all the debadge haters?

comparing it to wearing pants that dont fit? please. get a grip.

I don't debadge my cars because I think it will improve my car. I don't think it will make the car lighter or faster. Its nowhere near as "trendy" as baby daytons and wheel spacers. A lack of a tiny badge on the back won't ever be "out of style".

I'm not trying to fool anyone into thinking I have a lower model, so that I can beat them in a race. I also don't feel it necessary to advertise what type of car I have. I buy cars for myself and my own enjoyment, not to get "props" from people I don't know and don't care about.

The only reason I do it is because I like the way it looks. I like symmetry. So sue me. I think the back of car looks cleaner without all the uneccesary badging. The badges themselves actually serve no purpose. So why have them?

I fully understand if you want to leave the badges on, but I really don't see why some of you are getting so hot cause someone wants to take them off.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 08:08 PM   #20
semaj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakazitp View Post
whats with all the debadge haters?

comparing it to wearing pants that dont fit? please. get a grip.

I don't debadge my cars because I think it will improve my car. I don't think it will make the car lighter or faster. Its nowhere near as "trendy" as baby daytons and wheel spacers. A lack of a tiny badge on the back won't ever be "out of style".

I'm not trying to fool anyone into thinking I have a lower model, so that I can beat them in a race. I also don't feel it necessary to advertise what type of car I have. I buy cars for myself and my own enjoyment, not to get "props" from people I don't know and don't care about.

The only reason I do it is because I like the way it looks. I like symmetry. So sue me. I think the back of car looks cleaner without all the uneccesary badging. The badges themselves actually serve no purpose. So why have them?

I fully understand if you want to leave the badges on, but I really don't see why some of you are getting so hot cause someone wants to take them off.
I completely agree with you. I too like the de-badged look. I have a JCW MINI Cooper S and the first thing I did when I got home from the dealership was take off that JCW and the Cooper S badge off the rear boot. I like it because I enjoy the new added symmetry.

Now, some posters in this thread seem to get a little too hot and bothered over something that really is no big deal. Who cares if you saw an ///M Civic Type R. Sure, I think it looks a funny, but they like the way it looks, and if they believe it will boost their ego, then that should be perfectly fine. I don't care what the marketing department of BMW tells you, but your car is not an extension of who you are as a person. Live and let live guys!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 08:29 PM   #21
kamakazitp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2000 Celica

I do find it silly when people OBVIOUSLY misbadge their cars, and most of the time I think they are doing it just to get a laugh from people (ie ///M Civic or similar nonsense). Even if they are trying to be cool, they must not realise that everyone who actually knows what those badges are will know its on the wrong car. Either way, it doesn't get me excited.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2007, 08:57 PM   #22
Sigma
Rep
Drives:

Quote:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but debadging is FAR from a new thing from this decade. It's been done by auto enthusiasts since cars first appeared on the road and was immensely popular in the 60s and early 70s back when Detroit would put a massive motor in damn near anything they made with the badge on the rear often being about the only differentiation -- which would often be quickly removed. It was much more broadly practiced back then than it is today. Today the ricer tradition of upbadging is far more common than debadging.

Personally I don't do it to make people wonder what's 'under the hood'. I do it because the asymmetry of the rear with the badge bothers me. Not to mention having to wax around those damn letters.
Appreciate 0