BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-27-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
Legion5
Major
Rep
Drives: e92

*Put bargaining chip here* IS350 36k loaded.

Here's a funny situation, the local dealers in my area are offering amazing incentives on the IS350 sedan, and I wouldn't be surprised if they also were doing so in your area. For the base price they are offering IS350's with the Mark Levinson sound system which is what I was most into. I didn't even expect to get a good price, I was just looking to see the features I would miss on a 135i (I'm a sound recording technician so I like audio, and Japanese cars are known for their standard features which are a hidden cost of other manufacturers).

The IS350 though is a significantly overlooked car but the best part is in every conceivable dimension a 135i with some options makes no sense when compared to a good deal on a IS350, so saying that it would be silly not to have a 135i be a bargain for the enthusiasts. BMW's are one of the few track tunned cars around, and only a select few can really appreciate that over luxury. The IS350 is a great car and because of that I hope it will keep a nichy 135i in the lower 30's.

Let me first tell you, and this can be assumed as fact, the 135i's small size being a unique feature is going to be bullshit. I read the review on Top Gear which a lot of car people respect with an obsession, and even hardcore fans can see this for themselves. The 135i is NOT like a Miata, and not like a S2000. It's a Grand Tourer, just like every other upmarket car. At least according to Top Gear. That puts it in line to be competitive and therefore it must be competitive or joe shmoe will sink the series.

With that out of the way a 135i with the upgraded sound system and premium package makes no sense above 36k (Those are really the only options I want surprisingly..).

Let's compare, removing track use from the equation, because in normal driving track ability will not show up unless you are having way too much fun or doing something illegal. You can find everything with the setup I just mentioned on the IS350 done better than what we know the 135i to be now. I was shocked too.

Take real leather seating for example, Lexus actually has this standard, and not as a almost two thousand dollar option. That's value, and BMW has to match it.

Then take the BMW's free maintenance except for oil changes program, compare that with BMW's less than stunning reliability to the Lexus, which is very reliable, being a Japanese manufacturer after all. Would you rather be spending all your time driving a loaner and dropping off your 135i for free repairs and recalls, or having a car that has no aspect of it broken in the first place, and already has a track record built up to prove this, unlike Bimmer's business as usual lol.

On the Lexus you get FREE metallic paint, on the BMW you don't.

On the Lexus you get the equivalent of Idrive, a digital information center, Free.

On the Lexus you get a Free homelink system, on the BMW it's part of an option package.

On the Lexus you get a FREE automatic transmission (wait for me to finish), on the BMW you need to pay near two thousand dollar for this. However, the situation gets even weirder when we consider that the Lexus has a smart sequential-based transmission and BMW isn't even offering such an option like it's full SMG yet, and if it did, it would cost well over two grand. Lexus includes this amazing gem. (because the transmission really is smart)

Now that cost saving right there.

-

On the Lexus you have four doors, which is much more convenient for a GT car.

On the Lexus you get wayy more interior room.

On the Lexus you get a Mark Levinson sound system. Mark Levinson IS the best non-one off amplifier manufacturer in the world and one of the top 3 audio system manufacturers today. BMW has it's own proprietary system, it does not sound that great because they do not source their speakers from industry leaders. Instead they source them from Harman Kardon which has merged with various lower and higher quality companies over the years, to have an overall low quality product line. To put things in perspective H&K is such a BAD company they actually pulled out of the aftermaket audio segment, a segment which Mark Levinson supersedes in every way. YES their home audio can be good, but we are talking car audio and if they can't even meet the tier below exotic audio systems, which is aftermarket audio, then what business does H&K have mixing their middle of the line products with BMW wizardry? No amount of BMWness will help here.

Furthermore BMW is KNOWN for their lower quality in their logic 7 system in smaller cars. BMW gets worse and worse as space decreases.

Free Sun Shade.

Free Climate Control (we've seen EU spec 1ers with only AC).

Free Paddle Shifters ($100 option)

-

and with all of this it actually has a spare tire, holding it back, but making the tires not suck.

Like I said, bargaining chip. These are not small issues to take into account either. With a BMW like the majority people you WILL be spending $500 on the metallic paint for Monaco Blue or Sedona Red or SGM or Black Sapphire or whatever. I don't know about you, but $500 is a LOT of money to throw around.

To joe shmoe the 135i will see stiff competition, which will be uninterrupted after the M1 is released, so that's why I strongly feel a BMW 135i priced above it's high tier competitors makes no sense.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 12:28 PM   #2
dsm9
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Go open the gas tank and stick your member in there...I'm not knocking the IS350 by any means here it's a nice car but these are two different cars...compare apples to apples man
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 12:38 PM   #3
bimmernotbeamer
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

It sounds like your mind is made up! Enjoy your lexus!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #4
epecon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

Seriously though, what are you trying to accomplish with this post? You come to this particular forum to provide this info? I actually own an IS300 and enjoy the car but was greatly disappointed when the new version of the IS came out. The IS350 is a nice car but Lexus clearly cares less about the driving experience than BMW. No doubt there are certain things I prefer in a Lexus but tell me why is it that Lexus dealers are offering such great deals on the IS350? Is it possible that for what is supposed to be such a sporty sedan they are having trouble selling them? They don't even offer a manual option! You may not be a Lexus salesperson but your long rant just reeks 'Lexus employee'. Again, not a bad car and this is a free world but bark elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #5
Legion5
Major
Rep

Dude fanboy all you want, lol it just makes you look silly.

You BMW people just take thing in through 1 ear and out through the other.

I can make my own decisions thanks, but the crowd around the 135i is one of the car's biggest detractors for me .
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Enjoy your new lexus! bye!
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #7
1050Wien
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
2008 128i  [0.00]
Do you work for Lexus/Toyota?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 12:55 PM   #8
Feli_330i
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18’ M2

Wrong forum dude, I think this is where you want to go --> http://www.lexusforum.com/
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 01:09 PM   #9
335i=:)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan-blk/blk-Poplar

Have you driven a 335i and a is350 back to back? I did twice, in one day. If your a "driver". They don't even compare. The oner will kill the is350 in in every performance aspect hands down.

BMW builds drivers cars, not the perfect sound system.

Stop being a instigator and go somewhere else. All the posts you start are the same mindless banter, picking the oner apart.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 01:10 PM   #10
MontegoTwinTurbo
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6mt

So what exactly are you trying to convince us of??? First of all these cars are completely different. Lexus originally built the IS series in an attempt to "clone" the 3 series sedan and get into that market segment. Where they fall short is that a Lexus is not a driver oriented car. The lack of a manual in the IS350 and especially in their new "super sports sedan" ISF proves that these cars were not built for enthusiasts. Yes lexus has all the premium audio and are more luxurious than BMW and for those of you that have those priorities can go right ahead and buy the lexus. To me a lexus has always been a glorified toyota and it seems that the japs have always copied the Germans. So for those of us that want to row our own boats in small car thats tossable and fun to drive, the 1er will fit the bill, and that is why we are on this forum. Honestly what kind of response did you think you were gonna get posting that in a 1er forum?
Have a nice day and enjoy your lexus
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 01:11 PM   #11
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ito135i View Post

Stop being a instigator and go somewhere else.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #12
imported_MPower
Zoom Zoom
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

If you want the Lexus, buy the Lexus. But dont be so surprised when a forum dedicated to the 135i thinks otherwise. :wink:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legion5
On the Lexus you get a FREE automatic transmission (wait for me to finish), on the BMW you need to pay near two thousand dollar for this. However, the situation gets even weirder when we consider that the Lexus has an *SMG* BMW isn't even offering such an option yet, and if it did, it would cost well over two grand. Lexus includes this amazing gem.
You are very mistaken here. Firstly, Lexus does not over a sequential manual gearbox or anything technically similar. They offer an automatic with a manual mode but not a manual gearbox with hydraulically operated clutch. Additionally, an automatic gearbox on a BMW is 1,250 (not 2 grand). You get what you pay for with the BMW as the Lexus gearbox a) operates ridiculously and b) does not rev-match the downshifts.
      10-27-2007, 01:39 PM   #13
Legion5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by epecon View Post
Seriously though, what are you trying to accomplish with this post? You come to this particular forum to provide this info? I actually own an IS300 and enjoy the car but was greatly disappointed when the new version of the IS came out. The IS350 is a nice car but Lexus clearly cares less about the driving experience than BMW. No doubt there are certain things I prefer in a Lexus but tell me why is it that Lexus dealers are offering such great deals on the IS350? Is it possible that for what is supposed to be such a sporty sedan they are having trouble selling them? They don't even offer a manual option! You may not be a Lexus salesperson but your long rant just reeks 'Lexus employee'. Again, not a bad car and this is a free world but bark elsewhere.
We don't need people who try to back up our BMW appreciation with ideas like phantom steering response this and style that. The IS350 has the same road feel as a 135i, they both use low quality electronic steering and have sufficient brakes.

Also the IS-F the top model IS posts a faster time around Nuremberg with less HP than the M3, and the same people who set up the IS-F set up the 350 so I don't see the problem, unless Yamada Hanako had a slip with his camber gauge.

I think it's reasonable to assume the 135i should be economically competitive, I would feel bad and stupid and BMW zombie fanboy-like if I got this car and it was not competitively priced.

BMW already has a track record for making cars that have the 1er designation with low consumer value. No one could say the 1 series hatch was a bargain.

BMW automatics are $1450 as of today. My B about comparing it to a hydraulic SMG then, sorry. Though while the 350 does not revmatch, BMW automatics tend to short shift on launch. the IS's transmission is way closer to an SMG in performance then a BMW auto.
Appreciate 0