BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-23-2007, 12:29 PM   #1
the2doors
Rep
Drives:

Comfort Access?

I saw this keyless entry system listed as an option, is it safe to assume the car still has remote door locks standard? Also does anyone know what the Comfort access thing does and is it worth it?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
BimmerBoi2100
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Black 135i

It allows u to access your vehicle without taking out your key. You just touch the door handle and the doors unlock. You have to have your keys on your person though. One of the few options I plan on getting.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 12:43 PM   #3
THellURider
Private
Rep
Drives:

My understanding is,

It will unlock the doors for you as you approach the car
It will also allow you to start the car with the push start, without inserting a key.

As I hate the push start button right now, cause you have to insert a key, then turn it, then push the start button, I'll be getting comfort access.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 01:04 PM   #4
the2doors
Rep
Drives:

I hated the key fob thing that was on the loaner I used when my car was in the shop, but 500 still seems a bit high when the only real advantage is avoiding the annoying 3 step start process (incert fob, press fob, press start). Grrr why did they feel the need to imporve upon the key? I guess it was the same guy that felt run flats should be the new standard.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 01:08 PM   #5
zirrah
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by THellURider View Post
My understanding is,

It will also allow you to start the car with the push start, without inserting a key.

As I hate the push start button right now, cause you have to insert a key, then turn it, then push the start button, I'll be getting comfort access.
You hit the nail on the head. Without this option, push to start is almost silly imo. It's a very neat bit of functionality.

Maybe... we'll see how it compares to the M

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 01:09 PM   #6
THellURider
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2doors View Post
I hated the key fob thing that was on the loaner I used when my car was in the shop, but 500 still seems a bit high when the only real advantage is avoiding the annoying 3 step start process (incert fob, press fob, press start). Grrr why did they feel the need to imporve upon the key? I guess it was the same guy that felt run flats should be the new standard.
Ya, just cause it's trendy doesn't mean it's a good idea.

It's not a damned race car, it's a daily driver.

Push Button :
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 01:14 PM   #7
BtheMoneW
Private
Rep
Drives: MKIV 1.8T

Quote:
Originally Posted by THellURider View Post
My understanding is,

There is no turning of the key...simply put your foot on the break, push the key in, and hit the start button...thats how it is on the 3 series at least

Push start is sweeeet
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
135idrive
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives:

If you have the key on your person the doors will unlock for you when you grab the door handle. There is a small devise in the inside of the handle that detects your hand pressure and if the key is within close proximity the doors will unlock. Once inside you just press the start button. Be careful though, if you are not used to the system there can be unforeseen problems. I drove with my father this last Sunday to drop him off at the Raider game in his CL65. He was driving there and being in a hurry got out said see you later (key in his pocket) and I drove his car back to my place. On the way the car notified me that there was NO KEY DETECTED! So when I stopped and turned off the engine, that’s where the car was going to stay. Luckily I got a spot in front of my building.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 01:31 PM   #9
THellURider
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BtheMoneW View Post
There is no turning of the key...simply put your foot on the break, push the key in, and hit the start button...thats how it is on the 3 series at least

Push start is sweeeet
You're right. You don't turn the key in the E90.

However, I still think push start is dumb unless you have comfort access or something similar.

To each his own right?
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 07:23 AM   #10
marcosowns
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 FR-S

This always seemed like a very cool option to me, but I always thought it would suck if this failed (and there was no manual way to override it, which I assume there is).
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 07:31 AM   #11
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosowns View Post
This always seemed like a very cool option to me, but I always thought it would suck if this failed (and there was no manual way to override it, which I assume there is).
I think there's an actual key blade hidden in the fob that will allow you to unlock the car if the auto-lock fails. I also think that you can push the fob into the key slot to start the car even if you have comfort access.

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 07:50 AM   #12
marcosowns
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 FR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
I think there's an actual key blade hidden in the fob that will allow you to unlock the car if the auto-lock fails. I also think that you can push the fob into the key slot to start the car even if you have comfort access.
Good to know! This will definately be in my options list as well, perpetuating laziness.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 07:54 AM   #13
HAVIK
Rep
Drives:

On the new BMW you dont need to insert the key and turn it. You just insert the key and press the start button. Comfort access will be an option i will have on my 135i
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 09:19 AM   #14
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
yup
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 10:02 AM   #15
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
IIRC, This will do 2 things....
1- should be done occasionally to charge the fob battery
2- if fob battery is dead, insert to activate start button
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 10:07 AM   #16
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
IIRC, This will do 2 things....
1- should be done occasionally to charge the fob battery
2- if fob battery is dead, insert to activate start button

Comfort Access key fob does not need to be re-charged...!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 12:37 PM   #17
tklivory
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Comfort Access key fob does not need to be re-charged...!
This is true. The battery in non-Comfort Access keyfobs need to recharge in the slot under the Start button (so don't forget to do that with your second keyfob once in a while!) but the the Comfort Access has a standard battery that needs to be replaced periodically (not sure how often).

That said, I LOVE my Comfort Access. Being able to open the doors/trunk when my hands are practically full without needing to dig out my keyfob really comes in handy.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 06:53 PM   #18
djminkin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

It doesnt open your doors as you approach, you simply lift the handle and it opens. You tap the top of the door handle to lock it, when exiting. Its a nice option, but kind of pricey on the X5.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2007, 11:28 PM   #19
IvtecEM
#1 Addict
Rep
Drives:

Looks like a nice option but not for me, one less thing not to go wrong.
      10-25-2007, 12:07 AM   #20
Templedogg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i, Trailblazer SS, 1934 PU

Exactly, 1 less thing to go wrong. Not for me. I see a valet giving back the running car and forgetting to give back the fob or something dumb like that.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 02:37 AM   #21
semaj
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 135i N54

Garage List
2010 BMW 135i  [0.00]
I will be adding Comfort Access to my 135i.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2007, 03:35 AM   #22
sectos
Private
Rep
Drives: 325

Quote:
Originally Posted by djminkin View Post
It doesnt open your doors as you approach, you simply lift the handle and it opens. You tap the top of the door handle to lock it, when exiting. Its a nice option, but kind of pricey on the X5.
argh, I though the doors were locked automatically as you get away from the car
are you sure you really have tap the top of the door to lock it?
Appreciate 0