BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-20-2007, 09:12 PM   #1
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Twin-turbo triumph at “Engine Oscars” International Engine of the Year

Twin-turbo triumph at “Engine Oscars”
  • 3-litre engine from 335i sees International Engine of the Year Award title stay in BMW’s hands for a record third year in a row BMW takes a total of seven International Engine of the Year Award trophies in 2007
  • Porsche finally wins an International Engine of the Year Awards trophy
  • Evergreen Toyota Prius 1.5-litre hybrid engine still the top eco-friendly option says jury
BMW’s 3-litre twin turbo has today been crowned International Engine of the Year 2007 at the ninth annual International Engine of the Year Awards, which were presented at Engine Expo in Stuttgart, Germany.

BMW won additional International Engine of the Year Awards for its 2.5-litre inline six and 5-litre V10, but the Munich manufacturer was most delighted with the success of the 3-litre twin turbo, which also dominated the Best New Engine of 2007 category.

Peter Langen, BMW’s director of powertrain, commented: “This is a tremendous achievement and important recognition of the lengths our engineers have gone to in order to ensure the success of our turbocharged petrol engines. We are proud to once again be honoured as the manufacturer of the International Engine of the Year.”

Elsewhere in the prestigious Awards, which are independently judged by 62 motoring journalists from 30 countries, Volkswagen’s 1.4-litre turbocharged and supercharged TSI unit triumphed for a second year in the 1-litre to 1.4-litre class, with its larger sibling, the 2-litre turbo developed by Audi and housed in the Golf GTi and Audi A3, topping the 1.8-litre to 2-litre category.

Toyota meanwhile saw its 1.5-litre hybrid that powers the Prius named Best Fuel Economy engine and its 1-litre 3-cylinder from the Aygo and Yaris take the honours in the Sub 1-litre category.

Some of the loudest cheers were for Porsche, who finally won an International Engine of the Year Award trophy. Its 3.6-litre turbo engine in the 911 Turbo was voted the best 3-litre to 4-litre engine in production today.

International Engine of the Year Awards 2007: Winners

Best New Engine of 2007
BMW 3-litre Twin-Turbo (335i)

Best Fuel Economy
Toyota 1.5-litre Hybrid Synergy Drive (Prius)

Best Performance Engine
BMW 5-litre V10 (M5, M6)

Sub 1-litre
Toyota 1-litre (Aygo, Yaris, Peugeot 107, Citroën C1)

1-litre to 1.4-litre
Volkswagen 1.4-litre TSI Twincharger (Golf, Touran, Jetta)

1.4-litre to 1.8-litre
BMW-PSA 1.6-litre Turbo (MINI, Peugeot 207)

1.8-litre to 2-litre
Volkswagen 2-litre Turbo (Golf, Audi A3, A6, SEAT Leon, Skoda Octavia)

2-litre to 2.5-litre
BMW 2.5-litre (325, 525, X3, Z4)

2.5-litre to 3-litre

3-litre to 4-litre
Porsche 3.6-litre Turbo (911)

Above 4-litre
BMW 5-litre V10 (M5, M6)

And…
International Engine of the Year 2007

Word from the 2007 Presentation

The crowds packed into the Awards Presentation Hall on 9 May 2007 to witness BMW walk away with a record seven International Engine of the Year Awards. The triumph means that the Bavarian auto maker has been voted manufacturer of the finest powertrain in the world for the third year in a row by the jury of 62 motoring journalists.

Collecting the overall award, Wolfgang Hall, BMW’s director of gasoline engine development, said: “This is a great achievement and a fantastic feeling after four years’ hard work.” The 335i’s engine also won a further two Awards as it was named Best 2.5-liter to 3-liter engine, and Best New Engine of 2007.

BMW’s acclaimed 5-liter V10 engine claimed top spots in the Best Performance Engine and Above 4-liter classes. Herbert Bayer, manager of engine development at BMW M, enthused as he picked up the trophy: “It’s a great honor for BMW M to win these awards. In the last three years the V10 has won 11 awards and that is something I am very proud of.” In the 2-liter to 2.5-liter category, the Bavarian 2.5-liter six-cylinder came out on top, beating last year’s winner, the Subaru 2.5-liter flat four turbo, by 29 points.

Travelling from France to collect the award for best 1.4-liter to 1.8-liter engine – won by the 1.6-liter turbo co-developed by BMW and PSA – was Phillippe Keribin, engines project leader for PSA Peugeot Citroën. “For us, this prize is testament to our partnership with BMW,” he said.

The locals from Stuttgart were delighted to see Porsche dominate the 3-liter to 4-liter engine, and the company received a standing ovation from the Engine Expo crowd when its 3.6-liter turbo emerged victorious. A delighted Stefan Knirsch, Porsche general manager of base engine development, commented: “We are honored that the panel chose this turbo engine above many other great engines to win this category.”

There were also winners from the VW Group. In the 1-liter to 1.4-liter category, VW’s TSI innovation was triumphant. “We’re very proud of this award – the team has worked very hard to develop this engine, and I think it’s been an enormous success,” enthused Dr Herman Middendorf, VW head of gasoline development.

Meanwhile Kay Friedmann, who heads development of Audi’s inline four gasoline engines, picked up the 1.8-liter to 2-liter Award. Friedmann revealed his confidence after the engine won the category for a third consecutive year: “We received this award for the first time in 2005, and back then we promised FSI would be a trendsetter.”

International Engine of the Year Awards 2007 jury:

Argentina: Carlos Angio, Pablo Jorge Gualtieri;
Austria: Horst Bauer;
Australia: John Carey, Bill McKinnon;
Belgium: Etienne Visart de Bocarmé;
Brazil: Marcelo Moura;
Canada: David Booth, Marc Lachapelle, Jim Kenzie, Richard Russell;
China: Gary Tsang;
Czech Republic: Tomas Hyan;
France: Christophe Congrega, Thierry Etienne, Benoit Pérot;
Egypt: Mohamed Sheta;
Germany: Thomas Imhof, Georg Kacher, Jürgen Lewandowski, Juergen Zoellter;
Greece: Giannis Charpidis;
Holland: Jeroen Jongeneel;
Hungary: Gabor Szécsényi;
India: Hormazd Sorabjee;
Ireland: Padraic Deane;
Italy: Diego Eramo, Marco Marelli, Massimo Nascimbene; Japan: Yasuhiko Kawamura, Jack Yamaguchi; Mexico: Rogelio Rivera;
New Zealand: Brian Cowan;
Portugal: Joaquim Oliveira, José Vieira;
Russia: Leonid Golovanov, Mikhail Podorozhansky; Slovenia: Tomaz Porekar;
South Africa: Jake Venter;
South Korea: Charley Chae;
Spain: Arturo de Andrés;
Sweden: Norbert Andersson, Rolf Gildenlöw;
Turkey: Halit Bolkan;
UK: Farah AlKhalisi, Ken Gibson, Paul Horrell, Graham Johnson;
USA: Mike Allen, Dan Carney, Csaba Csere, Ken Gross, Patrick Hong, Frank Markus, Jim McCraw, Dennis Simanaitis, Chris Walton;
International Judges: Matt Davis, Peter Lyon, Greg Kable, Peter Nunn, Peter Robinson.

The International Engine of the Year Awards are presented by Engine Technology International magazine, published by UKIP Media & Events. The Awards involve the voluntary participation of 62 leading motoring journalists from 30 countries. Engine Technology International receives no advertising or financial support from any car manufacturer or distributor.

About the Awards | What's New? | Judges |
Categories & Results | Contact Details | Rules & Scoring | Previous Winners

©2007 UKIP Media & Events Ltd
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 06:56 AM   #2
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by dna550 View Post
Twin-turbo triumph at “Engine Oscars”
  • 3-litre engine from 335i sees International Engine of the Year Award title stay in BMW’s hands for a record third year in a row BMW takes a total of seven International Engine of the Year Award trophies in 2007
  • Porsche finally wins an International Engine of the Year Awards trophy
  • Evergreen Toyota Prius 1.5-litre hybrid engine still the top eco-friendly option says jury

OLD NEWS...............!

:hitcomput
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 10:17 AM   #3
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
OLD NEWS...............!

:hitcomput
SO?!?

Not everyone might have known that. Even if it is old news no need to get your panties in a bunch.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 10:27 AM   #4
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italteen3 View Post
SO?!?

Not everyone might have known that. Even if it is old news no need to get your panties in a bunch.

Really..? How many people on these forums don't know that BMW makes world class engines and have more awards than any other manufacturer in the world..?

Look back 15 years. How can you be considering a BMW and not know why they are so highly sought after..?

Sorry if my post rubbed you the wrong way, but I find it humorious how people complain about BMW's prices, then look past or overlook the engine, like it's any other.

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 11:15 AM   #5
Italteen3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i JB

Quote:
Really..? How many people on these forums don't know that BMW makes world class engines and have more awards than any other manufacturer in the world..?

Look back 15 years. How can you be considering a BMW and not know why they are so highly sought after..?

Sorry if my post rubbed you the wrong way, but I find it humorious how people complain about BMW's prices, then look past or overlook the engine, like it's any other.

-Garrett
The 135i is the first BMW I will have ever owned. Did I know that they have won a lot of awards for their engines in the past? Yes. Did I know everything in that article or see it before his post? No. All I am saying is that there is no need to over react. This forum is here for all BMW enthusiasts whether they have a ton of knowledge or a little about BMWs. So no need to react crazily man.

15 years ago I was 5 :wink:. My uncle was about my age now and he drove me around in his E36 M3. Been hooked since. So at that time 15 years ago all I knew about BMWs was that they were fast :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
joelk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray E90 M3

Quote:

-Garrett
and the proper way to educate people and avoid such oversight in the future is to discourage these types of posts? heh.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 11:44 AM   #7
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italteen3 View Post
The 135i is the first BMW I will have ever owned. Did I know that they have won a lot of awards for their engines in the past? Yes. Did I know everything in that article or see it before his post? No. All I am saying is that there is no need to over react. This forum is here for all BMW enthusiasts whether they have a ton of knowledge or a little about BMWs. So no need to react crazily man.

15 years ago I was 5 :wink:. My uncle was about my age now and he drove me around in his E36 M3. Been hooked since. So at that time 15 years ago all I knew about BMWs was that they were fast :biggrin:

Over react..? Sorry, you must've misunderstood me.. it's a 5 months old repost..!

Glad you liked the article. Perhaps you should google WARD's Automotive and read their publication too. You'll see they give out awards for Engine of the year.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2007, 01:30 PM   #8
IvtecEM
#1 Addict
Rep
Drives:

Yes it is old news but who cares, cheers to BMW again.
      10-22-2007, 07:47 PM   #9
tack
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: yugo

i question an award for an engine that overheats.
i don't get it. what is hype? the award or the overheating?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2007, 11:26 AM   #10
Garrett
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac View Post
i question an award for an engine that overheats.
i don't get it. what is hype? the award or the overheating?

Hmm.. the engine is overheating because of fualty/no Oil-cooler. Why BMW had so much faith in a twin turbocharged engine not overheating is pretty remarkable, what was even much more remarkable is that they had enough faith to manufacturer a car with that engine and not put an oil-cooler on the car.

THink on this... what other turbocharged car do you know of, that doesn't have an oil cooler..? It's incredible that the N54 is in thousands of BMW's without oil-coolers are are not overheating. When every other manufacturer out there, has to have an oil cooler in their turbocharged cars...!

This engine runs so cool that it doesn't need an oil-cooler for average daily driving...!

Thanks god it comes on the performance pack...!

-Garrett
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2007, 05:03 PM   #11
evolute
Registered
Rep
Drives: 95 M3, 01 325i

Talking

Gotta love the N54!!! Definately need an oil cooler though...
Appreciate 0