BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

10-17-2007, 05:44 PM   #1
TyrolSport
Rep
Drives:

Cloth sport seats for the US?

Hey guys-

First time poster, so be easy on the STFA comments. :smile:

I'm in the initial planning stages of purchasing a 135i. I plan on taking ED. Any ideas if I would be able to custome order Heated/Cloth Sport seats? Is this combo even available in the UK or other parts of the world? I do not like the standard vinyl or optional leather at all, and having cloth sport seats is a deal maker for me. If the cloth is heated, I'll pay above MSRP Any advice is appreciated!

Mike P
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 06:07 PM   #2
WolfsburgerMitFries
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 3er

I'd love to see cloth seats available, so would many others. There's a bad ass looking blue cloth setup that gets a +10 from me. Volkswagen does the same thing in excluding cloth from the North American market on certian models. Wonder why the Germans don't think its a good idea to have cloth here.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
128er
Captain
Rep
Drives:

NO CLOTH SEATS!!
-Steptronic
-Premium Sound
-Xenons

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 12:48 AM   #4
Icecold135i
I Fly Icecold No Mistakes
Rep
Drives:

No cloth seats will unfortunately not be available. There is a thread in the pictures and videos forum that has new interior pictures available, check it out cus it has a few nice pictures of the cloth/leather sport seats we WONT be getting. I also dont believe it will be possible to custom order something like this but I guess if you want them that bad, I dont know how the compatibility would work but you might be able to find someone in europe that would want to trade maybe...hell i dont know. Dont worry about posts like the one above, some posters are just harder then others, everyone has to start some where, I will say use the search button or just browse through the threads, there is alot of information out there that is super useful and you will like what people will have said. Its always fun to get an idea of what goes through the minds of the other people that have interest in the same car as you, take care and happy motoring, welcome to the board! :drinking:
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 01:17 AM   #5
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

As others have said, cloth seats aren't available in the U.S. and probably never will be. Similar to the situation with "moonroof delete" and 4-cylinder engines, BMW USA has decided that cloth seats are unacceptable for cars sold in this country. Period. It's very frustrating that Europeans have so many choices while Americans have so few. On the bright side, though, BMW sells the cars significantly cheaper here in order to maintain their share of the crucial and competitive U.S. market.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 07:51 AM   #6
RU_FASTR
Rep
Drives: E90 330i & E90 335i

I would even pay MORE to get those cloth/leather seats.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 07:54 AM   #7
TyrolSport
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for all of the responses. I figured since I was going to take ED, that it *might* be easier to sneak a custom order in. I guess we'll see. I'm inclined to ask what can be done while I'm over there to make my wishes come true.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 09:25 AM   #8
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

Funny, because the Millpoint cloth seats in the 318ti are highly sought after, to this day. They look almost identical to the 1er's cloth seats we've been seeing too, and they were given to the US market in 1995. Maybe because of lackluster sales numbers, they opted to not

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 11:42 AM   #9
asv
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

BMW will never have cloth seats in the US, because it wants to maintain its status as a "luxury car." If the 1 series came out of with cloth seats, even as an option, people would associate it with being "cheap."
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2007, 02:06 PM   #10
gbent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by asv View Post
BMW will never have cloth seats in the US, because it wants to maintain its status as a "luxury car." If the 1 series came out of with cloth seats, even as an option, people would associate it with being "cheap."
That may be true, but I have a news flash for BMW.
Those interior pictures of the Taupe, with acres of tan plastic as far as the eye can see, is nothing but cheap looking!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 09:09 AM   #11
kjtar
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Well, if they think cloth seats are going to dilute the brand image they're trying to preserve, there are lots of other cars out there you can buy. Just tell the sales droid that you're taking European Delivery of the car YOU want to buy, not the car BMW wants to sell you. Big difference. Vote with your $. Hell, I want wind up windows, no MP3 or Bluetooth or iDrive or any of that crap. Give me a good manual tranny, road hugging suspension, dependable electronics and mechanicals, and a car that will do 0-60 in around 6.5 seconds and get around 25 mpg in mixed driving and I'll be as happy as a clam. And make the exhaust sound good. Not too buzzy, certainly not too quiet, and I'll LIVE in the damn car...
Tom
Tulsa
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 10:02 AM   #12
Garrett
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfsburgerMitFries View Post
I'd love to see cloth seats available, so would many others. There's a bad ass looking blue cloth setup that gets a +10 from me. Volkswagen does the same thing in excluding cloth from the North American market on certian models. Wonder why the Germans don't think its a good idea to have cloth here.

I won't even sit in a car with cloth seats... they stink, have stains and are tacky...!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 11:02 AM   #13
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Ughh. I dont get the BIG fascination with cloth seats. This is a B-M-W. Yiiikes. I'm not going from a Honda with leather seats to a BMW with cloth. I'll even take leatherette over cloth. And that red leather/cloth combo featured above is straight up GAUDY IMO. When people start talking about ditching leather seats,and sunroofs, etc. many are going to wonder why you paid so much for such a barebones car.
      10-20-2007, 01:13 PM   #14
MikeT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
When people start talking about ditching leather seats,and sunroofs, etc. many are going to wonder why you paid so much for such a barebones car.
Well, different BMW buyers want different things. Some folks want a "luxury" car. Some folks simply want the badge. A few of us simply like the performance (powertrain, handling, brakes, etc.). Leather and sunroof do not improve the performance of a car, and the latter actually diminishes it a bit. Why do some people like cloth seats? For one thing, they don't get as hot. Other people just like the feel of cloth. If BMW makes cloth seats for the European market, and some buyers choose them, then they can't be all bad, right?
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 01:20 PM   #15
dna550
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbent View Post
That may be true, but I have a news flash for BMW.
Those interior pictures of the Taupe, with acres of tan plastic as far as the eye can see, is nothing but cheap looking!
Journalist test car in Sweden...already showing the dirt.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 05:06 PM   #16
kjtar
Registered
Rep
Drives:

What I guess I want, basically, is a stipped down sport coupe or hatch, even a Z4 coupe, but without the luxury components. I want a more visceral car, like the '78 308gt4 Ferrari I had for 4 years, but reliable, cheaper to maintain, and a slightly more comfortable ride. That's all. If BMW makes such a car, I'll buy it. If someone else does, I'll buy it from them. But I think BMW could (and has) done it. And, if they offer those things in the ROW market, then I don't see why I shouldn't be able to order it.
So there.

Tom
Tulsa
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #17
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
Well, different BMW buyers want different things. Some folks want a "luxury" car. Some folks simply want the badge. A few of us simply like the performance (powertrain, handling, brakes, etc.). Leather and sunroof do not improve the performance of a car, and the latter actually diminishes it a bit. Why do some people like cloth seats? For one thing, they don't get as hot. Other people just like the feel of cloth. If BMW makes cloth seats for the European market, and some buyers choose them, then they can't be all bad, right?
You make very valid points. Only problem is that people associate cloth with cheap.