BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-14-2007, 08:23 PM   #1
emm3tt
Out Driving
Rep
Drives:

People who buy cars before they are out...

I see all of these threads with folks who are on waiting lists, have already ordered cars, and have deposits down. Is this something that you do frequently? I can't grasp the concept of making a purchase as large as a car without driving, sitting in it, touching it, seeing it. Have you ever had buyers' remorse? :iono:

01 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 08:36 PM   #2
IvtecEM
#1 Addict
Rep
Drives:

Thats why you only deal with dealerships that will give 100% refund on ur deposit, just incase you dont like it you can walk away and never look back.
      09-14-2007, 09:32 PM   #3
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm3tt View Post
I see all of these threads with folks who are on waiting lists, have already ordered cars, and have deposits down. Is this something that you do frequently? I can't grasp the concept of making a purchase as large as a car without driving, sitting in it, touching it, seeing it. Have you ever had buyers' remorse? :iono:
Yeah, all the time. We're just crazy like that.

Nobody who has placed a deposit has actually bought the car yet. The deposits are fully refundable. All indications are that dealers will have cars to test drive before orders have to go hard. :iono:
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 10:09 PM   #4
emm3tt
Out Driving
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ster View Post
Yeah, all the time. We're just crazy like that.

Nobody who has placed a deposit has actually bought the car yet. The deposits are fully refundable. All indications are that dealers will have cars to test drive before orders have to go hard. :iono:
I guess that begs the question of why throw away your bargaining power when the dealer knows you're not going to walk away from the car. :smile:

01 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 10:20 PM   #5
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
Rep
Drives: on twisty roads

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2017 Porsche Macan GTS  [8.00]
2011 M3  [10.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [10.00]
2011 335iS  [9.60]
Emm3tt asks:
Is this something that you do frequently?

Yep, but only if I really like the car and the dealer agrees to refund the deposit if I don't like the car after test driving it or we can't reach a deal that is acceptable to me.

And no, I never have buyers remorse, once I buy something, that's the end of the story-- I don't worry about whether I could have gotten a better deal.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 11:56 PM   #6
M135
Professional Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
"I guess that begs the question of why throw away your bargaining power when the dealer knows you're not going to walk away from the car."

First question: why are you really asking this question?

If you want something bad enough, does a few grand really make a difference? If it does, then the process is not for you. Had I not placed a deposit, I already miss the first build shipment meaning I would be AT LEAST 3 months away after release to get in one. If I test drive one and don't like it, I have $1000 to spend somewhere else. Pretty easy really. Your buying power without waiting is not substantially more, BMW's sell themselves. If I walk away, they won't be begging me back in the door--someone else is already waiting for that salesperson and may purchase.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 01:22 AM   #7
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

I guess I'm with emm3tt...

Can't quite understand why anyone would pay more than necessary on a commodity item like a car... A couple thousand dollars to get something three months early when you'll get it eventually anyway seems like a pretty bad deal.

I guess I'm either too patient, or not materialistic enough.

I hope I don't have to turn in my US passport!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 06:43 AM   #8
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
I guess I'm ... not materialistic enough.

:roundel: :roundel:

Trust me, most people consider anyone who buys a BMW to be plenty materialistic.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 12:39 PM   #9
rgpie75
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
I guess I'm with emm3tt...

Can't quite understand why anyone would pay more than necessary on a commodity item like a car... A couple thousand dollars to get something three months early when you'll get it eventually anyway seems like a pretty bad deal.

I guess I'm either too patient, or not materialistic enough.

I hope I don't have to turn in my US passport!

I don't think anyone is really paying more than necessary. The deposit is refundable if they don't like the car and they will be paying MSRP. With the demand expected to be pretty high for these cars, it's not like you're going to pay $3,000 less just because you wait a few months. MAYBE you'll be able to get one for a bit less than MSRP 6 months after release, assuming you can even get one at all then. But it's very unlikely any dealer will be willing to sell for less than MSRP until supply can catch up with demand. That could take a year or more.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 01:34 PM   #10
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpie75 View Post
I don't think anyone is really paying more than necessary. The deposit is refundable if they don't like the car and they will be paying MSRP. With the demand expected to be pretty high for these cars, it's not like you're going to pay $3,000 less just because you wait a few months. MAYBE you'll be able to get one for a bit less than MSRP 6 months after release, assuming you can even get one at all then. But it's very unlikely any dealer will be willing to sell for less than MSRP until supply can catch up with demand. That could take a year or more.
+1

and to answer the original question, no I've never put a deposit down on a car like this before.

Why did I do it this time? It's because personnaly the car sounds like it's going to offer a lot of what my current DD does, only it it improves upon it in a way that makes me think I'll be enjoying this car until it's 20 yrs old too...

As for "getting a deal on the price", I'm not worried about it, I know that if the price comes in at, or under, what I'm prepared to pay, then that's what it will be worth to me, if it's too high, then I won't buy.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 03:12 PM   #11
Devon K
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: TBD

There is of course another issue with buying a new model sight unseen (or undriven) - and it also applies to those who do test but buy in the first few months of any new model's production run. Initial production vehicles are far more likely to have issues that need rectification (but sometimes they can't be fixed post-production). Many prefer to wait six months or a year for these bugs to be worked out. Think of the 335i's oil overheating issues caused by the lack of a decent oil cooler (which has now been added to the car IIRC.) That was a pretty major screwup on BMW's part, and early buyers were left holding the bag on that one.

The first-run risks should be lower with the coupe as it will presumably share some components with the well-tested 1 hatchbacks that have been in production for several years.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 06:10 PM   #12
Vornado
A swell fellow
United_States
Rep
Drives: Hot air balloon

what really gets me is people who want to be the first to own a 1st year car, then go on complaining about all the issues that come with a first year car, like they didnt know..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2007, 11:03 PM   #13
rgpie75
Registered
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vornado View Post
what really gets me is people who want to be the first to own a 1st year car, then go on complaining about all the issues that come with a first year car, like they didnt know..
If they didn't, you would never know what those problems were :biggrin:
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 02:57 AM   #14
SoulBladeZA
Rep
Drives:

For me it's rather simple, I have the previous big daddy of the 1er range. The 135i will just be more of the same, which makes me

Also, South Africa FTW! I'm second on the list at the biggest stealership in the country with no deposit. Only high end marques like Porsche etc require deposits here, but then only because they come in so highly individually specced that they might have trouble flogging it if you don't take it, usually a substantial deposit like ZAR 50k or 100k ($7k-14k)
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 07:53 AM   #15
Smokey
Lucky Lefty
Rep
Drives: on twisty roads

Garage List
2019 BMW M2 Comp  [0.00]
2017 Porsche Macan GTS  [8.00]
2011 M3  [10.00]
2013 bmw F25 msport  [10.00]
2011 335iS  [9.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vornado View Post
So cars don't have problems a year after they are released? I bought a brand new 2004 Honda Accord a full year after the model change only to discover that some of the Accords made that year had major transmission problems that required for them to be recalled. Thus, buying a car when it's first released or a year from the date of its release doesn't guarantee that you will have a problem free vehicle. Furthermore, the engine in the 135i is the same engine in the 335i, which has been out for more than six months, so I am not concerned about it.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 02:33 PM   #16
philippek
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

BMW is aiming the 1er at people who have never had a BMW before. For these people, it certainly would be pretty silly to order/commit to it before they've had a drive. For most it will be more money than they've ever spent on a car before, and to make that kind of a decision without a lot of research and a thorough walk-around and test drive would probably be unwise.

But there is also a significant demographic that has owned many BMWs who are queing up to get the 1er. For them, it's the probably the least they've ever spent on a new BMW. They're also quite familiar with BMW's driving dynamics and design philosophy. They've probably been early adopters and/or beta testers on a few BMW models in the past. This group knows what they're getting into, and for them it probably makes sense to pull the trigger sight-unseen.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 07:21 PM   #17
kurichan
Mr. Happy
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgpie75 View Post
Refundability of the deposit is totally unrelated. We're talking about pricing leverage. You put down a deposit on a car you haven't even seen, and you're giving up leverage. They can see you drool. You drool, you pay. If you're absolutely certain you want one, and don't want to pay more for it, wait. If you've gotta be the first guy on the block to have one (makes no sense to me, but everyone's different!), then put down your deposit and give up your leverage. You will get a worse deal.

On issues like this, people believe what they want to believe, regardless of the tried and true laws of supply and demand. If you're happy, that's great. But you WILL pay more.

If I get one, I'm doing ED anyway, so you should probably just ignore me.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 08:23 PM   #18
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

This car will probably sell for MSRP for at least 3-6 months. At least. I need a new car now and the 6 month wait I have to endure is long enough for me, I don't need another half year . The 500-1000 dollars I might save (in my market, this will probably be VERY optimistic) is just not worth it to me. Plus, my deposit is fully refundable in case something "suprising" should come along.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 08:49 PM   #19
M135
Professional Rookie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Garage List
2008 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
I still can't believe the bargaining power topic is still being brought up. It is a highly touted new model, tell me what new model out there has just been released with hype that dealerships bargain for anyway? Be lucky they are not marking it up beyond MSRP and be happy.

If the few grand is really that big of a deal for you, just wait. Personally I'll be running 12's in the 1/4 mile by then
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 11:25 PM   #20
Khobin~
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

[quote=kurichan;18999]If you're absolutely certain you want one, and don't want to pay more for it, wait. If you've gotta be the first guy on the block to have one (makes no sense to me, but everyone's different!), then put down your deposit and give up your leverage. You will get a worse deal.

On issues like this, people believe what they want to believe, regardless of the tried and true laws of supply and demand. If you're happy, that's great. But you WILL pay more.[quote]

It's not about being the first person to have it, at least not for me, it's about just not wanting to wait forever to actually get my hands one.

The whole idea that BMW is going to be trying to deal them off the lot within a couple months is rediculous. The only that would happen is if the car is a total flop.

Hell, even Mazda for the first 1-2 years when they brought out the 3, were hardly willing to budge at all on the pirce(at least the 5 different dealers I went to locally over the course that time) because the demand for it was there.

As you said, it's a matter of supply and demand, if the demand that is apparently here now continues, it will be a while before any "deals" will be had. If the demand isn't there, then sure, those that buy it right away will end up paying more, but personnally, if I love the car 1/2 as much as the one it's replacing, then I won't care, because either way I know what I'm prepared to pay for a 128, if the price is too high, I won't buy one, if it's where I want it, then I will, period.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 12:47 AM   #21
Sixspeed J
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm3tt View Post
I guess that begs the question of why throw away your bargaining power when the dealer knows you're not going to walk away from the car. :smile:
All the dealers I have talked say that it will sell at MSRP and they will not charge over that price. Also most every new car that just comes out will sell at MSRP or in the Mini Coopers case will continue to sell at MSRP for years until demand is slower. Thats how it works.

I know some people here might want to wait for a year until they get their car but some of us don't want to wait that that long. Just accept it and move on it is our money. Maybe you will pay less by waiting but I will have my car and be enjoying the heck out of that twin turbo 6:headbang:.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2007, 07:05 AM   #22
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

I see you live in San Diego, Kurichan. Believe me: there are plenty of people in this country who think it's insane to live in California because of the incredibly high cost of living (I think San Diego is an amazing city, BTW). But you live there anyway. Why? Obviously because you like it there and you're willing to pony up the bucks to be there instead of someplace else.

That's called subjective value preference. You're willing to pay through the nose to live in San Diego. Some of us are willing to pay MSRP for a 1-Series. Everybody here values different things differently. That's what makes the world a beautiful place. :thumbup:
Appreciate 0