BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-08-2007, 08:05 PM   #1
DimaGt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Aftermarket Suspension

I know it is early to say, but any of you guys will lower the suspension on your 128/135i? I would like to lower it with KW2 coilovers, or bilstein or something along those lines. I'm not big fan of using only springs (too many problems) But what do you guys think?...
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2007, 11:19 PM   #2
bimmer_fan
SF KREW
Rep
Drives:

can go wrong with kw's. i dont know what coilovers i want to use yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 11:35 AM   #3
335i=:)
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i sedan-blk/blk-Poplar

I think I'll go for the bilstein's with the automatic Sport and comfort modes available at the touch of a button in the cockpit. I can't remember the name, they just came out for the 3er though.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 02:19 PM   #4
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ito135i View Post
I think I'll go for the bilstein's with the automatic Sport and comfort modes available at the touch of a button in the cockpit. I can't remember the name, they just came out for the 3er though.
+1 million :thumbup:
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
1ster
Large Member
Rep
Drives:

Uh, why don't we wait and see what the stock suspension is like before we go changing it? The M-Sport 130is in Europe are very buttoned-down.

I would be wary of doing too much mucking with the springs and shocks unless I knew exactly what I was doing. A half-assed job could monkey with the calibration of the e-diff, stability control, traction control, etc.

I'm not saying there aren't improvements to be made, but it seems awfully early to be speculating about specific parts to be used.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2007, 08:20 PM   #6
DimaGt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

The only reason why I asked, it is because even with cars like BMW M3 at least E46, suspension seemed to be a bit too high/soft, so when you go through corners or accelerate, there is a bit too much dive and corner to corner transfer....So, given the fact that 135i must work in almost every country at least suspension would be one aspect that needs so work...Just a thought...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2007, 09:07 AM   #7
BMWeber
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ito135i View Post
bilstein B16 :thumbup:

I'm personaly going to get the bilstein PSS9 kit when it come out. Bilstein puts alot of teasting and enginering into the systems alot of other coil over kits are just parts.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 01:11 AM   #8
ichiban
Colonel
Rep

ohlins sportlines, bilstein and kw are my top picks. But I'm probably gonna end up riding on stock suspension for a while untill other people put springs/coilovers on their and pick from the best reviewed product. You should never rush when your modding your car, having regrets later is sooo much worse than just waiting for the right part.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 11:01 AM   #9
Stay a while and listen...
Rep
Drives: vr4

Ohlins is hands down a superior product. But you certainly have to pay for it.:frown:
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2007, 01:14 PM   #10
BMWeber
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zba857 View Post
Ohlins is hands down a superior product. But you certainly have to pay for it.:frown:
yup if It wasn't for the price I'd definitely go with Ohlins. but for bang for the buck it's hard to beat bilstein between quality, warranty and performance
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2007, 11:57 AM   #11
Ryephile
Not a Newbie
Rep
Drives:

I look forward to seeing what comes out in terms of coilovers or perhaps shorter Koni's and matched springs. The ride height of the tii concept is perfect, IMO, just that little bit of lowered aggressiveness!

..but before we go speculating that lowering springs alone are bad, let's wait and measure the stock suspension travel and bumpstops; then determine if/how much we can lower the stock suspension before it becomes too risky for bottoming out too much.
      11-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #12
J-Sud
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

KW Variant 2's or 3's. Thats the only thing i will ever go with. I have V3's on my GTI, one of the best upgrades i ever did.

just my .02
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2007, 06:02 PM   #13
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Very shortly after the car is available, TC Kline will have a Koni DA kit for the 1 series. H&R already lists some spring and coilover kits.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 09:13 AM   #14
Fair
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by DimaGt View Post
I know it is early to say, but any of you guys will lower the suspension on your 128/135i? I would like to lower it with KW2 coilovers, or bilstein or something along those lines. I'm not big fan of using only springs (too many problems) But what do you guys think?...
Like all factory BMW suspensions, these are very softly sprung and made to "understeer for safety". Like all McStrut BMWs, they also suffer greatly from a lack of negative camber in front. From reading first hand reports of auto journalists, even the 135i-Sport is about as stiff as a wet noodle, and especially soft in the rear.

This can all be fixed. :smile:

We've been working with AST to develop coilover suspension systems - camber plates, adjustable coilover shocks, and spring rates - to make the 1 series a more well balanced car, or a track terror, if that's what you're looking for. We've installed prototype AST4100 coilovers onto E90s, which share all the basic suspension components and many chassis dimensions, and have more AST set-ups ready for when the 1 series hits our shores. Signed up 1 series early adopters locally for testing both single and double adjustable set-ups. We're also lucky in that AST is in Holland, where they've had access to 1 series cars already.

We'll be ready... with any spring rates you can dream up. All AST shocks are monotube adjustables (not cheaper twin-tubes), include the strut housings (not inserts), and are 100% made in Holland.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 09:44 AM   #15
hancheyb
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Like Fair said, we're working on it as well. Just to point out a few features you might not see with other shocks. Our adjuster is easily accesible on the fronts and we will provide a cable extension in the rear so there's no need to cut up your interior.

As with all of our shocks, they are completely customizable (valving) and serviced by us in the States. We don't send them out to be refreshed or revalved.

Custom spring rates are always available with our kits.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 10:44 PM   #16
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

No love for Ground Control or TC-Kline?? They let you order your spring rates and offer all types of packages to fit what you want out of your car.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2007, 11:43 PM   #17
Ryephile
Not a Newbie
Rep
Drives:

I've heard some good things of AST. I also look forward to seeing the TC Kline and Koni come out with. I have to admit however, my current street-car fantasy is waiting for JIC/Cross to whip up an application.
      11-13-2007, 09:55 AM   #18
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

For those here that don't know Fair and hancheyb, they are long time, respected members/contributors at bimmerforums.com. It's great to have them participate on 1Addicts--they will provide knowledgable advice and solutions for those of us that want to improve the suspensiions on our 1-Series cars.
      11-13-2007, 01:46 PM   #19
DimaGt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair View Post
Like all factory BMW suspensions, these are very softly sprung and made to "understeer for safety". Like all McStrut BMWs, they also suffer greatly from a lack of negative camber in front. From reading first hand reports of auto journalists, even the 135i-Sport is about as stiff as a wet noodle, and especially soft in the rear.

This can all be fixed. :smile:

We've been working with AST to develop coilover suspension systems - camber plates, adjustable coilover shocks, and spring rates - to make the 1 series a more well balanced car, or a track terror, if that's what you're looking for. We've installed prototype AST4100 coilovers onto E90s, which share all the basic suspension components and many chassis dimensions, and have more AST set-ups ready for when the 1 series hits our shores. Signed up 1 series early adopters locally for testing both single and double adjustable set-ups. We're also lucky in that AST is in Holland, where they've had access to 1 series cars already.

We'll be ready... with any spring rates you can dream up. All AST shocks are monotube adjustables (not cheaper twin-tubes), include the strut housings (not inserts), and are 100% made in Holland.
Thanks for the info! Your product sounds good. What you guys represent is something I would like eventually to get. Stiffer, lower and no understeer...
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2007, 11:37 PM   #20
scottn2retro
Major
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hancheyb View Post
Like Fair said, we're working on it as well. Just to point out a few features you might not see with other shocks. Our adjuster is easily accesible on the fronts and we will provide a cable extension in the rear so there's no need to cut up your interior.

As with all of our shocks, they are completely customizable (valving) and serviced by us in the States. We don't send them out to be refreshed or revalved.

Custom spring rates are always available with our kits.
Are you guys going to make any stock class legal kits?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 12:28 AM   #21
menotakoala
Future Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: Civic Si Sedan

Won't modifications to the suspension void the warranty? Mr. T get picky about his car like that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda Motor Co.
Dear Joe, unfortunately, our service technicians were unable to reproduce the problem that you mentioned. Therefore, we will be unable to perform any work that you claim is necessary. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2007, 08:53 AM   #22
BMWeber
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by menotakoala View Post
Won't modifications to the suspension void the warranty? Mr. T get picky about his car like that.
I use to bring my E36 M3 to the dealer with track tires full track suspension and -3 deg camber in the front to get my front wheel bearings replaced under warranty. never had any problems :biggrin:.
Appreciate 0