Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > wheel/tire dilemma

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-10-2005, 01:59 PM   #1
wish1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Lexus sc400

wheel/tire dilemma

I thought I had this all settled and now I find myself secong guessing. Any real-world insight here would be appreciated.

I decided on the BBS LMs and placed the order for four 18x8 with Michelin 225/40/18s. I was planning to lose the run-flats.

When I took delivery of the car I met a guy in the dealership who owns an e46 m3 which he tracks, is affiliated with rogue engineering and seemed very knowledgable. He was emphatic not to use non-run-flat tires with this suspension. He thinks it will negatively effect handeling.

He suggested either stay with run-flats or do coilovers with the Michelins. I really don't want to get into doing suspension tuning. JamesC said he found no adverse effect running non-run-flat 19s. What about on 18s? Will the stock sport rear 255/35/18 tire fit on a 18x8 rim? I don't want to buy these tires and have the handeling/ride suffer only to be right back to the Bridgestones. Any thoughts?
      07-10-2005, 02:28 PM   #2
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wish1
I thought I had this all settled and now I find myself secong guessing. Any real-world insight here would be appreciated.

I decided on the BBS LMs and placed the order for four 18x8 with Michelin 225/40/18s. I was planning to lose the run-flats.

When I took delivery of the car I met a guy in the dealership who owns an e46 m3 which he tracks, is affiliated with rogue engineering and seemed very knowledgable. He was emphatic not to use non-run-flat tires with this suspension. He thinks it will negatively effect handeling.

He suggested either stay with run-flats or do coilovers with the Michelins. I really don't want to get into doing suspension tuning. JamesC said he found no adverse effect running non-run-flat 19s. What about on 18s? Will the stock sport rear 255/35/18 tire fit on a 18x8 rim? I don't want to buy these tires and have the handeling/ride suffer only to be right back to the Bridgestones. Any thoughts?
you really shouldnt use the 18x8 on the rear of the e90 if you plan on running a tire like the 255. Thats just too wide for an 8" rim. The 18x8 LM was designed more for the e36m3, where the front and rear offsets were very similar. But the e90 sedan takes the pattern of the e46m3 so you will need a lower offset and wider wheel for the rear and then you can fit larger tires.

If you are dead set on the 18" LMs, i would get this set:

FRONT: 18x8.0 +35
REAR: 18x9.5 +34

with that setup the front will look identical (off by 1mm) to the sport 18" wheels offered by BMW with the same tires

and on the rear the wheel will go out further by 15mm, which should fit fine and since its a 9.5 wheel you can fit tires going from 245, 255, 265, 275, etc.. Basicly you should be able to take the stock sport tires you have on your car and transplant them onto the new wheels in a snap. But again, I wouldnt try running the stock 255 on an 8" wide wheel, its just not made for that and it will definatly adversly affect the handling, wear, and god forbid it rolls off the wheel (because its just too big a tire) while you are driving.

the biggest problem with this setup is that it might be hard to find the 18x9.5 +34 wheel here in the USA, but a good wheel person can import it from germany or japan for you. PM me if you are serious and want a reference to someone who could probably get it.
      07-10-2005, 02:29 PM   #3
Mark
Administrator
Rep

Garage List
and if you want 19s you can just goto tirerack and they have it ready set to go, but its definatly very very $$
      07-10-2005, 02:58 PM   #4
wish1
Private First Class
Rep

I've already commited to the dealer with a deposit. He ordered the rims for me, they are on their way to him. Do you think it would be a mistake to go 18x8 225/40/18 Michelin all around and perhaps use a spacer in the rear?

At this point it would be a hassle to reorder different rims. I think the guy would be pissed and I would only want to ask him to do it if I determined this set-up to be a blunder.
      07-10-2005, 03:04 PM   #5
Mark
Administrator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I've already commited to the dealer with a deposit. He ordered the rims for me, they are on their way to him. Do you think it would be a mistake to go 18x8 225/40/18 Michelin all around and perhaps use a spacer in the rear?

At this point it would be a hassle to reorder different rims. I think the guy would be pissed and I would only want to ask him to do it if I determined this set-up to be a blunder.

Well, it wont be a blunder. I would first call him and ask if you can just change the spec of the rear from 18x8 to the 18x9.5. If the wheels havent been shipped yet from his source, this shouldn't be a problem.

You can run the 225 on an 18x8 in the rear without a problem, I just thing its a bit of a waste considering how generous BMW is being with giving us space for large tires -> large grip. The 225 PS2s will get the job done tho thats for sure, and your acceleration may be a bit better actually with the 225 and 8" wheels.

As for the spacer, its more for looks then anything, since the 8" wheel in the rear will look pretty bad (but looks are in the eye of the beholder right ? ) .. You can try a spacer, just make sure its a high quality one like H&R, because the low quality ones sometimes crack or wobble. And make sure you get longer lug nuts when you buy the spacers. With that wheel, you will need an extremly large spacer to make the wheel sit flush with the fender.. but without a spacer it will look similar to the stock look. If you are happy with the way the stock sport wheel looks on the body of the car, then it should be just fine and you wont need a spacer.

Hope this helps !
      07-11-2005, 11:45 PM   #6
wish1
Private First Class
Rep

Mark I am considering another alternative in my quest for the perfect e90 wheel. Do you think running the stock, sport run-flat 225/40/18 on a 18X8.5 rim would present a problem? Is 8.5 too wide for a 225 tire? Thanks for your input, you've been very helpful. Chris
      07-12-2005, 05:01 PM   #7
Mark
Administrator
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Mark I am considering another alternative in my quest for the perfect e90 wheel. Do you think running the stock, sport run-flat 225/40/18 on a 18X8.5 rim would present a problem? Is 8.5 too wide for a 225 tire? Thanks for your input, you've been very helpful. Chris
it depends on the tire itself, because a 225 from bridegestone is not the same size as a 225 from michelin. But overall bridgestones usually run a little bit wider and if its true for the runflats it wont be a problem on an 8.5" wheel. Usually 225 is a bit on the narrow side for an 8.5" wheel, but it will work for sure. I've personally run a 225 tire on an 8.5" wheel before and it was a perfect fit for me (i was using s03s tho)

good luck