BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-12-2007, 11:31 PM   #1
NewhouseEnt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: none

Body Observation

I can't believe no one (at least that I've read) has seen that the body dip below the doors everyone is screaming about, is off the Z4.

I don't hear anyone peeing in their pants over the Z4...

I don't know what the hoopla is about. I've seen Adobe mods with out and they both look... unnoticable.

It looks the same either way. Me loves it.

De-badge it, stick some super wide 19's on a Titanium silver and smoke the windows, it'll look perfect.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 01:06 AM   #2
kindtree
Private
Rep
Drives:

19's might be overkill on a car this size, IMHO. Especially without a spare. Unless you like standing at the side of the freeway....
      07-13-2007, 07:01 AM   #3
larryn
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '97 332ti, '21 X5 45e, '16 GT4

When the Z4 came out, people griped about that curved line incessantly. That was where the "flame surfaced" & "Banglized" terms came from.

Time makes people complacent. I think we are just getting used to it, if you've accepted the Z4 styling, which some haven't.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 07:05 AM   #4
Lips
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I actually loved the Z4 styling from the first time I saw it. My dad had one when it first came out and I loved that car. I guess that is why I like the 1 so much.
      07-13-2007, 11:43 AM   #5
eMINI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

BMW styling has just changed over the years... The cars used to be more reserved and elegant IMO. Now they seem to want to be noticed a bit more. At first (eg Bangle 745) this didn't appeal to me. However, over time, I've sorta warmed up to the designs of new BMW's... except maybe the 530's
2010 135i Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Red Leather | Poplar Grey Wood Trim | 6MT | Premium pack | M Sport pack | Heated Seats | HK Premium sound | USB | Smartphone integration | Automatic high beams
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 12:00 PM   #6
ibeam81
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII M235i, 2004 Acura TL

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMINI View Post
BMW styling has just changed over the years... The cars used to be more reserved and elegant IMO. Now they seem to want to be noticed a bit more. At first (eg Bangle 745) this didn't appeal to me. However, over time, I've sorta warmed up to the designs of new BMW's... except maybe the 530's
I've been more of a fan of BMW's older styling as well, but I too have warmed up to the newer look. It's definitely distinctive and tends to set BMW apart. The new 5 series body is probably my least favorite too, but even that is growing on me.

It's also interesting to note that other companies, such as Toyota, are copying some of the newer BMW design elements. Check out the back end of a new Camry or Avalon. Despite the Bangle bashing I have to give kudos to BMW for not resting on their laurels and striving to be better.

Anyway, I can't find much to say negative about the 1 series coupe. All and all, it's a beautiful design IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 12:17 PM   #7
eMINI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

Agreed. The more I look at it, the better I like it. Getting the ride height right will be important, since it seems a little tall for it's length.
2010 135i Coupe | Black Sapphire Metallic | Red Leather | Poplar Grey Wood Trim | 6MT | Premium pack | M Sport pack | Heated Seats | HK Premium sound | USB | Smartphone integration | Automatic high beams
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 06:23 PM   #8
kutch
Private
Rep
Drives:

Funny,
So many criticized BMW (actually C. Bangle) for the recent shapes.
But if you look back, who copies who for the most part?
So many cars through the years have sucked on BMW talent/ design/ looks, that you HAVE to do something to stand out. To continue to be different and lead the pack, you've got to make some big moves. Especially when the "Orient Express" is seemingly stealing the lime light of a few models...

This, CB did. And I'm quite sure no other auto manufacturer will be wanting to copy these swoops and slopes for a very long time...So in a way he succeed...
But at the same time he not only alienated other manufactures, but the buyers...
One Swoop and slope too many -for many...?

But hey, as others have said...We become forgetful, we change, and sometimes what used to , now makes us desire...Funny huh...?

Kutch
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 08:16 PM   #9
kindtree
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewhouseEnt View Post

I don't hear anyone peeing in their pants over the Z4...

The swoops and lines come together so much better in coupe form. That, you do hear people peeing their pants over. The new M Coupe is one of the best looking cars I've seen in quite a long time.

I was a bit disappointed when the E46 came out. I thought there were too many curves.... The simple lines of the E36 were perfect, IMO.... But as time goes on, I guess certain design philosophies just wear out.
      07-13-2007, 08:44 PM   #10
Séve
Private
Rep
Drives: 128i ZSP

Quote:
The new M Coupe is one of the best looking cars I've seen in quite a long time.
You're not kidding! I was at my local dealership the other day, and they had a gorgeous one -- black on black with some amazing wheels. Overall, though, it seems that recent BMWs look a little odd when they are "under wheeled," as compared to older models.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 09:05 PM   #11
Mahlzeit
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

The method to the Bangle madness:

BMW let CB screw the 7 series trunk up precisely b/c they knew the copy-cats, would copy it. Then of course once the copy-cats introduce the same nasty trunk design into the model line-up, BMW would de-tune the design to something less offensive. Which is exactly what happened.

-Mahlzeit
Appreciate 0