E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > New car BMW PDI

05-21-2006, 03:21 PM   #1
byoo79
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

New car BMW PDI

This is my first post, nice to meet y'all!

I have a quick question.

When cars arrive at the dealership to be sold, they usually get PDI'ed. Its sort of like a quick detailing to prepare for sale.

After reading through some of the messages on this board, is it better to not have the dealership to PDI it?

I am worry about scratches that might come of this with a careless BMW worker who wants to clean it fast.

The car I ordered is Jet black which is prone to swirl marks and scratches and I have instructed the dealer not to PDI it. I planned to just wash it when I get home or take it to a professional detailer.

Is there something in the PDI process that I cannot do? Special BMW wax or sealant that is applied?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2006, 03:39 PM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hello, and welcome

The real reason for the PDI is for the dealers technical staff to switch the cars computers from shipping mode to normal mode and for things like shipping protection and shipping blocks to be removed

Most dealers then wash and wax the car

You can ask them not to wax it ( they usually use cheap wax , but try and make it sound like some magical stuff )

The rest of the process they need to do themselves
      05-21-2006, 06:31 PM   #3
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue

My car was delivered in mint condition. Can't say that now, but my dealer did a wonderful cleaning job almost 1 year ago.
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect, MST turbo intake pipe, MST Cold Air Intake, JB4 on Map 2 with Catless DP produces awesome performance in Sport.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2006, 06:39 PM   #4
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

^^What E90Fleet said^^ Welcome to E90Post & Congrats on your new baby!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2006, 11:00 PM   #5
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Congrats!!! Enjoy the car!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2006, 11:35 PM   #6
Artz 330
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Z4M, 335i, 135i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
have the dealer wash the inside and outside of the car. The car gets shipped with a special chemical to protect the car from the salt water from the ocean when on the ship. Have them clean it because some people can have allergic reactions with it. My dealership didnt do too good of a job with the clean part of it on my girls new 325 that we just took delivery of. And she got irritated, her eyes would get all watery and she would sneeze every 5 minutes. My car was cleaned real well and she didnt have any problems. Well after i got mine from the dealer i went over it myself. I forget what the chemical is called that they used. I was just talkin about it the other day, now I am drawing a blank.
      10-31-2006, 02:46 PM   #7
sbkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i

I also ordered my E92 Jet black and instructed the dealer to not wash or wax it. I took it home and did it myself BUT I still ended up with swirl marks! I only use zaino products and high quality cotton towels and etc. Is it me or is the paint that soft on these cars?? I just can't imagine what could have cause these swirl marks! I guess I will be use my PC and 3M to get them out some time this spring...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 02:48 PM   #8
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artz 330
have the dealer wash the inside and outside of the car. The car gets shipped with a special chemical to protect the car from the salt water from the ocean when on the ship. Have them clean it because some people can have allergic reactions with it. My dealership didnt do too good of a job with the clean part of it on my girls new 325 that we just took delivery of. And she got irritated, her eyes would get all watery and she would sneeze every 5 minutes. My car was cleaned real well and she didnt have any problems. Well after i got mine from the dealer i went over it myself. I forget what the chemical is called that they used. I was just talkin about it the other day, now I am drawing a blank.
Cosmoline, right?
      10-31-2006, 03:44 PM   #9
gr8sho
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by byoo79
This is my first post, nice to meet y'all!

After reading through some of the messages on this board, is it better to not have the dealership to PDI it?
Welcome.

Your question is really best answered by someone that bought a Jet Black car at that same dealership. I can offer the following. When my car arrived at the dealership here in West Palm, it still had all the packing stuff on the car, plastic on the seats, foam blocks, etc. After I drove and inspected the car, I decided to take it. They needed a little over an hour to PDI the car. Paint was fine. I'm probably going to wax it for the first time since it was delivered sometime before the new year time permitting.

While this doesn't apply to Maryland, an added benefit of being able to intercept the car pre-PDI is that you can avoid getting the front license plate holder installed. To me the car looks much sweeter without it.
Jet Black - Burl Walnut - Black Leather - 6MT
Sport Package - Premium Package - Cold Weather Package
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2006, 10:58 PM   #10
IrvRobinson
Banned
Rep
Drives: X3

Dealers have to do a PDI ( pre delivery inspection )just like everyone said, but you just ask them not to wash the outside if it bothers you,but definitely let them detail the inside.We sell a lot of dark color cars,mostly the Luxury brands and black paint will always be the hardest to detail,so if it really makes you crazy to see swirl marks, try some other combinations,there aren't too many weird BMW's
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2006, 06:13 PM   #11
ParaDiddle
Private
Rep
Drives: 328xi Space Gray/ Coral Red

Yes. It's sprayed on the vehicle and coats many engine parts. It's to prevent rust from the saltspray while your car is on the ship. I've never known anyone to be allergic to cosmoline but as it burns off the hot engine parts (especially exhaust manifolds and turbos) it turns into a smoke which can be an irritant. The white smoke can be so prolific at times that people will pull over and call AAA or their car dealer. The cosmoline is washed off at the VPC but they can't get it all off the engine parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax
Cosmoline, right?
Appreciate 0