BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-04-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

Exclamation European Delivery: 1 SERIES???

I'm really contemplating flying to Europe for 2 days. I know BMW offers a 2-1 flight deal.

Anyways, remembered reading a great article that "test-drove" there EuroDelivery program. Nice write up that shows there SAVINGS also. Let me know what you think.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=115580
      07-04-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
Wiggum
Future N54 Owner...
Rep
Drives:

I would be interested, but I have a couple of issues...

1. What happens if the vehicle is damaged during shipment, is it yours because you already signed on the dotted line???

2. What is the major advantage other than the savings?? Driving for 2 days in Germany is a long flight ...

3. How is the car registered here? New, Used, ETC...
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

There should be insurance for the carrier (shipping). If I were doing it - it'd be a month - my wife could put up with about two weeks though. BMW provides insurance for 14 days. Be careful where you travel though - Austria, for example, requires an International driver's license and some other foolishness to drive their roads - also there a re some toll roads that you need to have electronic passes for - in Switzerland those roads require you to purchase a pass for a whole stinking year. Plan the trip well beforehand - a Garmin Nuvi 670 has Europe built in (navigation is a must when you don't speak the local language - especially if you climb into the Austrian Alps. The car's a new car - you've paid destination charges to have it shipped (I think it shows up at the dealership you arranged the purchase through). Again have an alternate means of transport available becuase the car spends some time on the boat over.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 08:46 PM   #4
ice13water
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

exactly how does this work u pick a counrty fly out there pick up a bimmer just like yours send ur few days there and the fly back and get ur real bimmer

how much does this cost
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 08:52 PM   #5
atr_hugo
No longer moderate
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 135i

Nope it's your car your're driving in Europe - BMW gives a discount for European delivery - but you pay your way over (airfare, hotels, food). It's a great deal if you want to go exploring in a car. If you've never been to Europe and/or not comfortable with the challenge of driving where English is not a first language then maybe it isn't a good option. But if you've never had a beer at JW Augustiner Braue in Muenchen, you haven't lived. ; -)
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 09:00 PM   #6
rossii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggum View Post
I would be interested, but I have a couple of issues...

1. What happens if the vehicle is damaged during shipment, is it yours because you already signed on the dotted line???

2. What is the major advantage other than the savings?? Driving for 2 days in Germany is a long flight ...

3. How is the car registered here? New, Used, ETC...
BMW needs a minimum 60 days before picking up your car. You order the car just as you normally would do. 14days before you leave you pay for the car either cash, finance or lease. You get to Munich you take a tour and take delivery. You can either drive or have it driven to the port and 6-8 weeks for the West Coast less for the East Coast the car is at your local dealer.

As mentioned you have 14 days worth of insurance while in Europe, once on the boat the carriers insurance takes over.

The major advantage is the savings but driving on the Autobhan aint bad either :biggrin:. When doing Euro you bypass BMWNA aka the middleman so this is where the savings come into play. Its about 7% of US MSRP.

The car is registered as "new" in the state were you reside. You dont even have to drive the car in Europe if you dont want to. Just fly in take a tour and pay to have the car driven to port and have it shipped back to the US for pick up at your local dealership. All included in the price except the fee to be driven to the port thats about $50.

I used to have people plan business trips around their pick up dates. Some would fly in sign papers and fly back. It is a great way to buy a car. I've never had anyone have a bad experience........well almost a boat did sink in the English Channel with 3000 cars.........OOPS!
      07-04-2007, 09:03 PM   #7
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossii View Post
As mentioned you have 14 days worth of insurance while in Europe, once on the boat the carriers insurance takes over.

The major advantage is the savings. When doing Euro you bypass BMWNA aka the middleman so this is where the savings come into play. Its about 7% of US MSRP.

The car is registered as "new" in the state were you reside. You dont even have to drive the car in Europe if you dont want to. Just fly in take a tour and pay to have the car driven to port and have it shipped back to the US for pick up at your local dealership. All included in the price except the fee to be driven to the port thats about $50.

I used to have people plan business trips around their pick up dates. Some would fly in sign papers and fly back. It is a great way to buy a car I've never had anyone have a bad experience........well almost a boat did sink in the English Channel with 3000 cars.........OOPS!
Awesome. I believe you. A few associates of mine have done it with their 335i's and loved it.
      07-04-2007, 09:56 PM   #8
davidl
Rep
Drives: 2006 Jet Black 325, 91 M5

I intended to do European Delivery. What could possibly be better, save money on the car and use the money saved for a vacation and being able to drive it on the roads thats it was made for.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2007, 09:58 PM   #9
Wiggum
Future N54 Owner...
Rep
Drives:

Interesting option...

I'd be inclined to think about doing that, a couple grand off the car ain't half bad, but after factoring in flights, hotels, and other expenses it's probably about even, but it is a trip to Europe...

Oh well, 9-10 months to decide...
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 03:00 AM   #10
IrvRobinson2
Banned
Rep
Drives:

ok guys, to answer all your questions about European Delivery, I will show you a few links from the website and blog I put together, that focuses on European Delivery. My site was recently featured in Wall Street Journal since it became so popular.

so, go to my website www.edBMW.com and read about the BMW European Delivery

also, my blog has tons of stories and pictures from people that have done EDs, so you can scan through them. There a lot of articles on how to do an ED and how to save money.

BMW Blog

like I said, read through it and if you still have questions, come back and ask, I will be more than happy to answer them
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 03:36 AM   #11
rimmer
Private
Rep
Drives:

Garage List
I dont have that problem!! Hahahahaha! My cars come into a port about 6miles from my house!!! yay!
      07-05-2007, 06:45 AM   #12
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvRobinson View Post
ok guys, to answer all your questions about European Delivery, I will show you a few links from the website and blog I put together, that focuses on European Delivery. My site was recently featured in Wall Street Journal since it became so popular.

so, go to my website www.edBMW.com and read about the BMW European Delivery

also, my blog has tons of stories and pictures from people that have done EDs, so you can scan through them. There a lot of articles on how to do an ED and how to save money.

BMW Blog

like I said, read through it and if you still have questions, come back and ask, I will be more than happy to answer them
Thanks for your help man. We really appreciate it!!
      07-05-2007, 07:23 AM   #13
Mike0105
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I'm planning on doing European Delivery with my 1 series when I order it. Generally speaking the ED MSRP is 7% less then dealers MSRP but their is still wiggle room below that listed European Delivery price. Typically you can negotiate another 3-5% off of that price.

Shipping is esentially free as it's included in the destination cost of the car, BMW provides 2 weeks of insurnace for free and more can be purchased if you plan on staying in Europe longer. I plan on picking my car up in Munich and driving to Venice then on to Milan and possibly Monaco. ED is something I've always dreamed of doing as I happen to think it'd be a really memorable way to see Europe.

There are some downsides, Gas in Europe is very expensive (7-8 US dollars per gallon) and like someone else mentioned some countries require you to buy toll passes or have an international drivers license. The other downside is how do you resist not checking the top speed of your new BMW on the autobahn =)
Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 07:28 AM   #14
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUKnight View Post
The other downside is how do you resist not checking the top speed of your new BMW on the autobahn =)
Mike
I plan on breaking her in on the autobahn!!! :biggrin:
      07-05-2007, 08:00 AM   #15
Mike0105
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
I plan on breaking her in on the autobahn!!! :biggrin:
More then likely I will too =) Can't think of a better way to seat those rings!
Mike
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 08:19 AM   #16
ice13water
Private First Class
Rep
Drives:

if u take euro delivery can they revome the electronicly limited 155 and just let it go all the way
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 08:22 AM   #17
danp
Private
Rep
Drives:

The (huge) BMW Welt and museum re-opens Spring 2008 so that would be an excellent time to go out, I plan on doing so!

http://www.bmw-welt.com/

(Welt = Brand experience, distribution centre, and forum for events and arrangements.)

You might also be able to get a trip round the production plant ?
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 09:10 AM   #18
IrvRobinson2
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUKnight View Post
I'm planning on doing European Delivery with my 1 series when I order it. Generally speaking the ED MSRP is 7% less then dealers MSRP but their is still wiggle room below that listed European Delivery price. Typically you can negotiate another 3-5% off of that price.

Shipping is esentially free as it's included in the destination cost of the car, BMW provides 2 weeks of insurnace for free and more can be purchased if you plan on staying in Europe longer. I plan on picking my car up in Munich and driving to Venice then on to Milan and possibly Monaco. ED is something I've always dreamed of doing as I happen to think it'd be a really memorable way to see Europe.

There are some downsides, Gas in Europe is very expensive (7-8 US dollars per gallon) and like someone else mentioned some countries require you to buy toll passes or have an international drivers license. The other downside is how do you resist not checking the top speed of your new BMW on the autobahn =)
Mike
true about the toll passes, but they're not expensive at all, and you don't need an international driver license, the US one is just fine in all the countries.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 09:11 AM   #19
IrvRobinson2
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by onehots2k View Post
Thanks for your help man. We really appreciate it!!
you're welcome. I know the program can be really confusing and that's the reason why I decided to build my website. I wanted to gather all the information in one place. That was the reason why Wall Street Journal wanted to mention my website as well
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 09:57 AM   #20
mikeo
Santa Fe Concorso
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M-sport 328i, '13 X1 28i

My wife and I are begining to plan a EDP for the 135i spring '08. We are Italophiles and will visit that wonderful country again in the 135i--probably all the way down to Sicily. Most likely will drop off the car at one of the Italian drop points (Milan or Rome?) and fly on home. probably take 2-3 weeks for the entire trip.
      07-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #21
IrvRobinson2
Banned
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo View Post
My wife and I are begining to plan a EDP for the 135i spring '08. We are Italophiles and will visit that wonderful country again in the 135i--probably all the way down to Sicily. Most likely will drop off the car at one of the Italian drop points (Milan or Rome?) and fly on home. probably take 2-3 weeks for the entire trip.
Mike, remember, if you drop off your car in Italy, someone will actually drive your car to the drop off point in Germany. Italy is the only country that does that. I'm not sure how you feel about having someone driving your car, but I just wanted to give you some heads up
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #22
Mike0105
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrvRobinson View Post
true about the toll passes, but they're not expensive at all, and you don't need an international driver license, the US one is just fine in all the countries.
I thought Austria needed an International drivers license?

Irv I have a question for you. Say I was trading a car in, would that be done before I took euro delivery or when the car actually came in and was delivered at the BMW dealer? I'm assuming when you place the order for ED you lock in your financing rate or Money Factor then just wait it out?
Mike
Appreciate 0