BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

08-01-2023, 09:04 PM   #1
emmix007
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

2024 x5 40i anxiety inducing ownership

I'm 450 mi away from home and will be driving back overloaded with unfortunate LCI breakdown experiences from other members.
What are the issues that are most common to lci specificaly 40i model? I have not seen any recalls other than idrive 8.5 update for my vin. What are the do's and dont's if bad messages start to appear in the middle of nowhere?
Appreciate 1
      08-01-2023, 09:08 PM   #2
TheCookieMonster
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5 50e

Garage List
2024 X5 50e  [0.00]
Most X5 owners out in the real world have no idea that these forums exist and are happily enjoying their cars without issue. Don't have anxiety over what you read here. I'm sure you're going to make it home just fine.
Appreciate 18
mojoJJ265.00
CeEl480.50
tooloud10790.50
Jasdha62.50
LDT1583.00
nZtiZia4714.50
Mixitt372.00
FredBa82.50
Go FasTA232.00
Mtn2Srf283.50
sygazelle11487.50
      08-01-2023, 10:29 PM   #3
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

I’d not worry too much and enjoy the car as is. BMW are known to have some minor issue but most are not catastrophic nor strand you on the side of the road.

To answer your question there is a number of LCI X5/6/7 mild-hybrid reporting issue with the transmission that has some 48v system integrated in. Those will give you “drivetrain malfunction” but in case you got that, you can always rely on the complementary bmw roadside assistance.
Appreciate 2
LDT1583.00
      08-01-2023, 10:38 PM   #4
aaaaaaaaaz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e (CB/Coffee)

Also for the most discussed issue - 50e battery valve, knee airbag recall, gas tank leak diagnostic module - all of them are not “break down” - you can continue driving safely until you have a chance to visit the dealership
Appreciate 2
Mixitt372.00
      08-01-2023, 10:54 PM   #5
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2020 RRS SE, 201

Garage List
More than likely everything will be fine. However we are living a rather nightmare at the moment with our 3 week old M60i at the dealer 550 miles away from home do to a drivetrain malfunction. We had to rent a car today as we have to continue on with our trip, leaving tomorrow. No known date our vehicle is going to be fixed. Transfercase is to be replaced we are told. The vehicle is going to have to be shipped up to Michigan after repairs are performed. Nobody at the dealer, roadside assistance or BMW NA gives corroborating info regarding who/how exactly we get reimbursed for the trip interruption (rental car mainly) and for how our vehicle is getting back to Michigan.
2017 BMW 530i xDrive Black
2005 BMW Z4 2.5i Jet Black
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2023, 11:14 PM   #6
emmix007
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 40i

[QUOTE=radmjk;30362080]More than likely everything will be fine. However we are living a rather nightmare at the moment with our 3 week old M60i at the dealer 550 miles away from home do to a drivetrain malfunction. We had to rent a car today as we have to continue on with our trip, leaving tomorrow. No known date our vehicle is going to be fixed. Transfercase is to be replaced we are told. The vehicle is going to have to be shipped up to Michigan after repairs are performed. Nobody at the dealer, roadside assistance or BMW NA gives corroborating info regarding who/how exactly we get reimbursed for the trip interruption (rental car mainly) and for how our vehicle is getting back to Michigan.

I hope bmw will do right by you! Thanks for sharing and please keep us updated! I'm sure many of us here will appreciate to hear your experience on how to navigate financial aspect like this.
Appreciate 1
JALS26.50
      08-04-2023, 09:26 AM   #7
radmjk
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i, 2020 RRS SE, 201

Garage List
Update on our three week old 2024 X5 M60i with Drivetrain malfunction. Our vehicle is stuck at Nashville, Tn dealer. We had to rent a vehicle to get back home to Michigan. Latest update we’ve received is that after several back and forth communications from dealer and BMW NA with failing diagnostic tests is that they want the dealer to replace the control module for the Transfercase short of changing out the Transfercase at this time. Problem is there are no control modules in the US or Germany to be installed in our three week old vehicle. Further, if that doesn’t correct the issue Transfercase will have to be replaced. Looking at a long interval without our brand new $100k plus vehicle.

The kicker is this was our boat tow vehicle. So now, can’t use our boat.

Obviously very frustrated.
2017 BMW 530i xDrive Black
2005 BMW Z4 2.5i Jet Black
Appreciate 3
abcsoup191.50
JALS26.50
      08-04-2023, 09:54 AM   #8
nalmog
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 xDrive40i

Hang on....you're telling me people are legitimately scared to take their BMWs on long excursions due to reliability issues and known transmission malfunctions? I'm waiting for my X5 to finish production, but this is extremely concerning. I have a lame mazda 6 currently and would never think twice about reliability on a long excursion (even with it having nearly 95k). Yikes, maybe I should have stuck with Japanese....
Appreciate 1
JALS26.50
      08-04-2023, 02:32 PM   #9
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalmog View Post
Hang on....you're telling me people are legitimately scared to take their BMWs on long excursions due to reliability issues and known transmission malfunctions? I'm waiting for my X5 to finish production, but this is extremely concerning. I have a lame mazda 6 currently and would never think twice about reliability on a long excursion (even with it having nearly 95k). Yikes, maybe I should have stuck with Japanese....
Any vehicle, new or otherwise, can have issues. There should be no reason to worry about taking it on a trip.
      08-04-2023, 05:01 PM   #10
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

The majority of vehicles don't have issues. People with problems tend to join forums, so you tend to see more posts for those that have issues...the vast majority of people don't, and don't post on forums. This is no guarantee that you won't, but is not something I'd worry about personally having bought more than a couple vehicles in their first year's release.
Appreciate 3
LDT1583.00
      08-05-2023, 08:06 AM   #11
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
The majority of vehicles don't have issues. People with problems tend to join forums, so you tend to see more posts for those that have issues...the vast majority of people don't, and don't post on forums. This is no guarantee that you won't, but is not something I'd worry about personally having bought more than a couple vehicles in their first year's release.
Second that. Two months after my 45e was delivered I took off on a 5000 mile RT. No problems whatsoever except that I was still trying to figure out how everything worked -- a long road trip is great for that. It was easily the most comfortable enjoyable road trip I've ever had.
Appreciate 3
LDT1583.00
aMIC31.00
      08-05-2023, 11:00 AM   #12
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Originally Posted by radmjk View Post
Update on our three week old 2024 X5 M60i with Drivetrain malfunction. Our vehicle is stuck at Nashville, Tn dealer. We had to rent a vehicle to get back home to Michigan. Latest update we’ve received is that after several back and forth communications from dealer and BMW NA with failing diagnostic tests is that they want the dealer to replace the control module for the Transfercase short of changing out the Transfercase at this time. Problem is there are no control modules in the US or Germany to be installed in our three week old vehicle. Further, if that doesn’t correct the issue Transfercase will have to be replaced. Looking at a long interval without our brand new $100k plus vehicle.

The kicker is this was our boat tow vehicle. So now, can’t use our boat.

Obviously very frustrated.
I do hope that there is some type of compensation under consideration for your inconvenience from BMW NA!
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 06:54 PM   #13
RNDe
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
I do hope that there is some type of compensation under consideration for your inconvenience from BMW NA!
What is the typical compensation for something like this? I'm going on 2 months waiting on a new transmission from Germany. Paid for the car and never made it home. lol Not sure what to ask for or what to accept if offered.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 06:57 PM   #14
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNDe View Post
What is the typical compensation for something like this? I'm going on 2 months waiting on a new transmission from Germany. Paid for the car and never made it home. lol Not sure what to ask for or what to accept if offered.
You need to open a case with BMW, the dealer does not provide compensation. It seems like in most instances it is a month's payment and sometimes you can get an extended warranty out of them also. It really depends on how much you push them and what the issue was. In your case I would ask for a buyback and then get a new vehicle.
radmjk240.50
      08-05-2023, 07:04 PM   #15
The Libertine
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Porsche Macan

Quote:
Agree on the buy back as well. It’s one thing if you even had an ETA as to repair completion; however, that is not the case let alone a firm diagnosis as to what to repair. BMW NA needs to intervene.
Appreciate 1
radmjk240.50
      08-05-2023, 10:37 PM   #16
RNDe
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Libertine View Post
Agree on the buy back as well. It’s one thing if you even had an ETA as to repair completion; however, that is not the case let alone a firm diagnosis as to what to repair. BMW NA needs to intervene.
I'm the one with the faulty EME unit. BMW wanted the dealership to replace the transmission instead of replacing the EME. So I think the diagnosis is pretty firm (just took a couple of days for the engineers to figure it out). The major holdup was waiting to get another transmission from Germany. It's on its way now, so the repair should be soon. However, it does seem that BMW NA needs to do something since it is not customary that a client doesn't make it home from the dealership when taking delivery of a newly delivered vehicle, then needs to wait 2 months for a transmission. I have thought about doing a buyback and reordering the car but now I can't order all the options my car had so I'm going back and forth on whether I should ask for something from BMW NA to keep the car (just not sure what I'd even ask for) and then hope that the issue is a one time deal vs doing a buyback and losing options. Tough call. Also, the dealership contacted BMW NA the day I took delivery so I'm thinking a case is already opened, but maybe I need to call too. I'll do that Monday.
Appreciate 1
radmjk240.50
      08-05-2023, 10:47 PM   #17
swainbmw
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 x5 40!

Garage List
Quote:
I'm the one with the faulty EME unit. BMW wanted the dealership to replace the transmission instead of replacing the EME. So I think the diagnosis is pretty firm (just took a couple of days for the engineers to figure it out). The major holdup was waiting to get another transmission from Germany. It's on its way now, so the repair should be soon. However, it does seem that BMW NA needs to do something since it is not customary that a client doesn't make it home from the dealership when taking delivery of a newly delivered vehicle, then needs to wait 2 months for a transmission. I have thought about doing a buyback and reordering the car but now I can't order all the options my car had so I'm going back and forth on whether I should ask for something from BMW NA to keep the car (just not sure what I'd even ask for) and then hope that the issue is a one time deal vs doing a buyback and losing options. Tough call. Also, the dealership contacted BMW NA the day I took delivery so I'm thinking a case is already opened, but maybe I need to call too. I'll do that Monday.
I would take the buy back you never know what’s next if they’re willing, take it and move on I say this with experience most generally when somethings a problem they continue, or it just never feels right
Appreciate 1
radmjk240.50
      08-06-2023, 03:09 AM   #18
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Sorry for asking but aren’t those critical parts as a drivetrain, valves,… subject to quality control?
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 04:22 AM   #19
Rob_G77
Major
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
Sorry for asking but aren’t those critical parts as a drivetrain, valves,… subject to quality control?
Faulty parts can happen with any auto maker. Sometimes it can be an assembly mistake. Lots of variables.

I think the bigger issue is that BMW continues to rely on certain parts coming from Germany which usually take several weeks to arrive. It really slows down the repair time.

Rob
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 08:31 AM   #20
particulardude
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: LR4 | L405 SC SWB

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCookieMonster View Post
Most X5 owners out in the real world have no idea that these forums exist and are happily enjoying their cars without issue. Don't have anxiety over what you read here. I'm sure you're going to make it home just fine.
#facts

Instagram@particulardude
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 10:53 AM   #21
streborx
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X7 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyd View Post
Manufacturers use an AQL (acceptance quality limit) system wherein a statistical random sample of incoming components is selected and put through various levels of quality checking. The assumption is that if x% of the production lot passes the quality check, then the entire lot is acceptable. Obviously, this relies on several variables, and if the quality test is deficient in checking some component characteristic, defects can slide through. The occurrence of multiple transmission failures post-delivery has undoubtedly modified BMW quality check procedures.

Some critical and high failure rate susceptible components (I'm thinking anything with a lithium battery) should be receiving 100% quality screening IMO, but who knows what actually takes place.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2023, 08:57 PM   #22
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Also note that each part is assessed as to the likelihood of failure, and what is stocked is based on that for repairs of defective parts. Transmissions aren't typically a high failure rate, so there won't be many, if any, stocked for repairs.

Infant mortality is a fact of life...if it made it out of the factory working, and through the dealer's prep procedure, there would be no reason not to deliver it to the customer. Luckily, it doesn't happen all that often.
Appreciate 0