BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-17-2006, 09:56 AM   #1
Harold
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3 Coupe

BMW 1-series in California... what does it mean for BMW 2-series coupe/cabrio??

This photo was taken in the San Francisco Bay area with distributor plates...

I wonder what this indicates, if anything about the 2-series coupe/convertible coming to the US :iono: Could this just be a 2-series test mule in 1-series clothing ? Will a 1-series hatchback (if any) arrive before the 2-series (if any). C'mon BMW give us some news or clues
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 02:45 PM   #2
Will L.
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Garage List
2001 Ducati 750 Sport  [0.00]
2003 Z4  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold
This photo was taken in the San Francisco Bay area with distributor plates...

I wonder what this indicates, if anything about the 2-series coupe/convertible coming to the US :iono: Could this just be a 2-series test mule in 1-series clothing ? Will a 1-series hatchback (if any) arrive before the 2-series (if any). C'mon BMW give us some news or clues
I was curious myself when I saw this. I don't know if it has any real meaning other than some lucky #$%# brought it over here. Would there be any reason to drive one around prior to any decision or announcement? Is there anything special about our roads that would require testing to determine things they can't on European roads/tracks? Anyone out there have any insight?

The London show should be starting very soon shouldn't it? Has anyone heard anything related to that? Is there any reason to be hopeful that we'll find out anything in the coming days?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 05:38 PM   #3
Declan
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garyhoov
I was curious myself when I saw this. I don't know if it has any real meaning other than some lucky #$%# brought it over here. Would there be any reason to drive one around prior to any decision or announcement? Is there anything special about our roads that would require testing to determine things they can't on European roads/tracks? Anyone out there have any insight?

The London show should be starting very soon shouldn't it? Has anyone heard anything related to that? Is there any reason to be hopeful that we'll find out anything in the coming days?
yea there is I think sometimes they bring cars over here for hot weather testing so this could be like a 1-series with a new engine tahts coming out that's doing hot weather testing here but doesnt necessarily mean the car will be sold here. I think its the M6 convertible thats being unviled at the British Car show.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2006, 07:09 PM   #4
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

As Declan mentioned, BMW often does alot of hot weather testing in Cali. I have also heard that BMW has been testing the 2 coupe/convert in the 1 series disguise in Munich, so maybe this might be the same thing.

One thing is for sure, I would be almost certain that is not just an individual who imported it, judging by the special plates.....
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 08:48 AM   #5
Declan
Private
Rep
Drives:

Here's what a person who has some inside contacts at BMW said about this photo:

As I explained previously BMW have only plans to introduce to the US market the Coupe and Cabrio off the E87 Platform.

With scoop sightings in the USA and Autospies claiming that the hatchback is definetely coming could not be further from the truth .

The 1er cars currently pounding US roads are specifically hot weather testing engines such as the low end turbo expected to be badged as a 123i when the 3dr sports coupe launches later this year.
Several Cabrios are now undergoing Hot weather testing in the USA now.
Uniquely for a BMW Internationally the Cabrio will appear first before the Coupe placing it directly in the target area for fun seeking young and old Californians. The Coupe will follow a few months after.

It is true that BMW considered a Z roadster based off the E87 platform but the project which got to the full size clay model stage was put on ice, The reason being that the Z4 was being replaced first - with the next Z4 BMW are intent on making a more focused Boxster rival leaving a space for a smaller Z model a small Z Coupe is also mooted but all this will happen if it does after the next Z4 and 1er are launched - in reality about 5 years.

Although the widespread plan for the current E87 spawned ideas from basic hatch - X and Z but for overlap of some projects where put on ice - concentrating on key market integration : Europe/Asia - 3dr /5dr hatch and US- 2dr Coupe /Cabrio.

Incidentally the E87 Cabrio has gathered as much exposure as possible to whet the appetites for the upcoming Coupe and Cabrio - Every BMW dealer in Germany has customer interest and pre-order for these coming models , And interest in the USA, UK Asia , Australia and other countries is further attracting immense interest. Not forgetting pre-orders.-
With no rivals on the horizon - look how Audi have moved forward the A3 Cabrio they know The overall look of the BMW thanks to the BMW Concept Car CS1, They know that after the fake panel disguise comes off in it's FEP stage in a few weeks. it is going to be extremely popular.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 09:08 AM   #6
Will L.
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2003 Z4  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan
Here's what a person who has some inside contacts at BMW said about this photo:

As I explained previously BMW have only plans to introduce to the US market the Coupe and Cabrio off the E87 Platform.

With scoop sightings in the USA and Autospies claiming that the hatchback is definetely coming could not be further from the truth .

The 1er cars currently pounding US roads are specifically hot weather testing engines such as the low end turbo expected to be badged as a 123i when the 3dr sports coupe launches later this year.
Several Cabrios are now undergoing Hot weather testing in the USA now.
Uniquely for a BMW Internationally the Cabrio will appear first before the Coupe placing it directly in the target area for fun seeking young and old Californians. The Coupe will follow a few months after.

It is true that BMW considered a Z roadster based off the E87 platform but the project which got to the full size clay model stage was put on ice, The reason being that the Z4 was being replaced first - with the next Z4 BMW are intent on making a more focused Boxster rival leaving a space for a smaller Z model a small Z Coupe is also mooted but all this will happen if it does after the next Z4 and 1er are launched - in reality about 5 years.

Although the widespread plan for the current E87 spawned ideas from basic hatch - X and Z but for overlap of some projects where put on ice - concentrating on key market integration : Europe/Asia - 3dr /5dr hatch and US- 2dr Coupe /Cabrio.

Incidentally the E87 Cabrio has gathered as much exposure as possible to whet the appetites for the upcoming Coupe and Cabrio - Every BMW dealer in Germany has customer interest and pre-order for these coming models , And interest in the USA, UK Asia , Australia and other countries is further attracting immense interest. Not forgetting pre-orders.-
With no rivals on the horizon - look how Audi have moved forward the A3 Cabrio they know The overall look of the BMW thanks to the BMW Concept Car CS1, They know that after the fake panel disguise comes off in it's FEP stage in a few weeks. it is going to be extremely popular.
:eyebulge: Wow! Great scoop! Is he implying that we should get something official soon?

All I need to know is that the coupe will be available on or about Nov. 2007, and I'll put a deposit down.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 04:14 PM   #7
Brookside
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i M-Sport

Yes, very nice scoop Declan...but there's a lot of info in there that's confusing.
Let me see if I've got this....
coupe badged as "123" with the turbo-charged engine? What happened to the 2-series designation?
Here's the Cs1 concept car that's mentioned...

Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 07:01 PM   #8
bmwfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I personally believe that car houses a different engine which is intended for the USA market in a 2-series bodied car (but exact same engine, drivetrain, ecu, etc just inside a 1-series body right now). That way they can essentially test the 2 series in the USA market where its going to get the most sales, without having to worry about shipping a cladded prototype here where there is less security from photographers, etc..

To me this is just one more step closer to the 2 series in the USA
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2006, 07:16 PM   #9
Brookside
Major
Rep

Yeah, that puts a logical explanation on it...especially in terms of
environmental controls...particularly CA's standards.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 12:46 AM   #10
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
All I need to know is that the coupe will be available on or about Nov. 2007, and I'll put a deposit down.
Looks like we are in the same boat here my friend. I graduate dec. 07' and plan on buying one of these as a gift to myself (assuming I get a good enough job).

However, I would like (for rather selfish reasons I must admit) for it to be released earlier so that the early production bugs can get worked out. Also, I would not mind being able to pick the top model, but really it probaly would not matter too much. I just hope that BMW delivers on the quality because in all honesty, I was not impressed with the quality of some of the early X3s. I did think the e90s were quite nice though...

And not to turn this into a rant or anything (oops :biggrin, but what is up with the convert. being released first? Do they really think it will be more popular than the coupe? It seems to me that this might show that BMW's priorities with this model might be a little confused IMO. I thought this car was supposed to be more focused, a truly sporting car, and then they release the least performance oriented version first? Hopefully this is all some gorilla marketing jumble, and not the truth....

Ok, I am done .
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 12:47 AM   #11
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfreak
I personally believe that car houses a different engine which is intended for the USA market in a 2-series bodied car (but exact same engine, drivetrain, ecu, etc just inside a 1-series body right now). That way they can essentially test the 2 series in the USA market where its going to get the most sales, without having to worry about shipping a cladded prototype here where there is less security from photographers, etc..

To me this is just one more step closer to the 2 series in the USA
Let us hope this is the truth....I have to admit, I am getting excited :headbang:.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 06:56 AM   #12
Brookside
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTX
And not to turn this into a rant or anything (oops :biggrin, but what is up with the convert. being released first? Do they really think it will be more popular than the coupe? It seems to me that this might show that BMW's priorities with this model might be a little confused IMO. I thought this car was supposed to be more focused, a truly sporting car, and then they release the least performance oriented version first? Hopefully this is all some gorilla marketing jumble, and not the truth....

Ok, I am done .
I am with you there...cabrio first? It makes no sense from a marketing standpoint when BMW customers have a roadster and cab to choose from already with the 3 series and Z4....it's the coupe that everyone is waiting
for....
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 10:36 AM   #13
Will L.
Private First Class
Rep

Garage List
2003 Z4  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTX

And not to turn this into a rant or anything (oops :biggrin, but what is up with the convert. being released first? Do they really think it will be more popular than the coupe?
It may not be more popular, but it will probably be more expensive. So people who are anxious to own a 2 series, and would prefer the coupe may take the cabrio (and pay a little more) to get an early one. It also gives them a chance to ramp up production with a lower volume model before cranking into full gear. So it may make some business sense (Like Porsche releasing the Cayman S before the basic Cayman).

And since the the cabrio will probably share 98% of its parts with the coupe, they can work some of those production bugs out on the cabrio, so that should be good for your situation (though I think modern develepment and design methods make the "initial run bugs" issue less of a concern than it was 10 or 20 years ago).
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2006, 12:08 PM   #14
LonghornTX
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
so that should be good for your situation (though I think modern develepment and design methods make the "initial run bugs" issue less of a concern than it was 10 or 20 years ago)....
You would think so, but my experience (having worked at a BMW dealership for a year) says otherwise. Ditto for Toyota and their new Camry....
Appreciate 0