E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Replaced spark plug tubes and engine won't start (N46)

07-08-2023, 02:24 PM   #1
lazeer321
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (E93)

Replaced spark plug tubes and engine won't start (N46)

Hi, i don't know what else to do so i am posting here to see if someone can help me.

I recently opened up the engine on my BMW 320i (N46 engine), to replace the spark plug tubes because there was oil entering the spark plugs, so i had to remove the VANOS units and then do the timing procedure of the engine, i am certain that the timing is on point because i've done the procedure 2 times just to make sure all the parts were in their correct position.

When i closed the engine after the timing procedure, i started it up, it started to crank like it didn't wanna start, but then it started and the rpms where oscilating between 1000 and 800, very rough, and when they started to drop, the engine was moving a lot, the rpms were moving between 700 and 500 very fast, like it was about to stumble, and then a check engine light came on the dashboard, and the engine turned off by itself.

I am getting error 296D: exhaust camshaft sensor, when the engine light comes on.

Is there a fuse to check for the sensor, or do i have to just replace it?

I forgot to mention that i have already swapped the exhaust camshaft sensor with the intake one, and the error is the same (296D: exhaust camshaft sensor), and before i started the engine i relearnt the valvetronic limit positions and resetted adaptations using ISTA.

Attached is a video of what is happening with the engine when i start it:

https://youtube.com/shorts/iljAVR85Lg0?feature=share

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 07:27 AM   #2
lazeer321
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (E93)

Someone? Please help
Appreciate 0