BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

06-22-2023, 08:40 PM   #1
srfmsk
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

What to do about cracked rim

Hi all,

I've got a 2019 X5 xdrive50i with style 742M wheels. My rear passenger tire started leaking air, so naturally I took it into Costco to have them take a look at it to see if a tire needed to be repaired. Unfortunately, what they discovered is that there is a hairline crack on the interior surface of the rim and they showed me that's where the tire is leaking. Is something like this generally repairable? Or is it usually necessary to replace the rim? I should have taken a picture when I was looking at it but I didn't. It looks like a very thin crack.

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 09:26 PM   #2
roamio
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 24 X5 M60i

If it was my car I wouldn't repair it. See below info from tire shop.

Can A Cracked Rim Be Repaired
Yes, and no. A cracked rim can be repaired if the crack is small and situated in an area in which it does not completely compromise the structural integrity of a wheel. This means that a singular hairline crack located on the middle or at the rear lip of the wheel can be welded without needing to replace the wheel.

On the other hand, if the crack is large, goes in multiple directions, is located on the front of the wheel, or severely compromises the structure of the wheel in any other way, it can not be repaired effectively.

In any case, there is no guarantee that a cracked wheel is ever going to be as good as it was before, so be sure to take your wheel to an experienced shop for more info on how and if you can repair it.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2023, 10:32 PM   #3
srfmsk
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 50i

That's a bummer. I guess better safe than sorry. What to do with an otherwise beautiful style 742M wheel?
Appreciate 0