BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

EXXEL Distributions

01-21-2009, 07:09 PM   #1
Fkellym3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 V8 414hp 4.0l stock car..

what do tow truck drivers know about towing the M3 with DCT

the other day..

I got my car towed because I wasn't aware that i parked illegally on the parking lot of the apartment complex

but my question is... if my car was a dual clutch transmissions, the tow truck driver could have damaged my car, right? ( tow truck driver did not put the car on the flat-bed, he just did a quick hook up and towed my car away)

I told the tow office employees that they were lucky that my car wasn't DCT and I clearly stated them that they can not just tow any cars that comes with DCT. ( they didnt understand what DCT was)

can they be liable for the damage?

it is my undrestanding that M3 manual book says that DCT can not be towed, it must be put on a flat-bed truck

( i wasn't mad that they towed my car because it was my fault for not reading the warning posted-signs)

top diagram is the Manual Six Speed

bottom diagram is the M-DCT

as you can see theres a huge "X" a no-no...

Last edited by Fkellym3; 01-21-2009 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 07:24 PM   #2
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
sorry to hear that.... I would think that they would have to lift the rear end and pull it from there. Shouldnt be any different that towing a automatic tranny car. let us know what came out of it since there are some other DCT owners out here
Good Luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #3
Fkellym3
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 V8 414hp 4.0l stock car..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ase2dais View Post
sorry to hear that.... I would think that they would have to lift the rear end and pull it from there. Shouldnt be any different that towing a automatic tranny car. let us know what came out of it since there are some other DCT owners out here
Good Luck!
considering that our M3s have pretty low ground clearance and it could scrape the front lips if the rear-end is pulled up.....would you agree?

i say to tow compaines to of the M's or any high end cars..
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fkellym3 View Post
considering that our M3s have pretty low ground clearance and it could scrape the front lips if the rear-end is pulled up.....would you agree?

Like they would...... tow truck drivers have no respect for your car at all. Some one rear ended my E55 AMG and as the flat bed was pulling it up to the bed, the they yanked out one side of front bumper and damaged the pump for the suspension underneath. That added several thousand dollars to the repair bill.
      01-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #5
ase2dais
//Mdicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: a Cop Magnet

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fkellym3 View Post

I agree, but I find the e92 front lip is less forgiving on my uphill driveway than my last e4 M3.... but if that ever happens and you need a light touchup let me know, since Im getting my rocker panel done sometime soon. and maybe you can file a claim against them or your insurance to run after them.

I see you added photo on your OP, thnks
that was helpfull
Appreciate 0