E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > 2011 E90 335xi N55 Exhaust Recommendations

05-18-2023, 07:54 PM   #1
Undecayed
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335xi

2011 E90 335xi N55 Exhaust Recommendations

Hello,

I've been looking for a decent exhaust for my car for a bit, but every other forum post links to dead pages, discontinued parts, or the exhausts that are still around aren't for the xDrive model. Looking for something $2000 USD or less, preferably cat-back but anything is fine. Any help with this is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 10:02 PM   #2
Richm240xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240xi

I have a Corsa exhaust on my 2011 e92 335i xdrive and it’s a perfect fit and sounds absolutely amazing, I have it paired with a vrsf catless downpipe, and it’s not too loud at all, and zero drone. I highly recommend it, I’m gonna be parting ways with it soon though because I want to do a custom single exit
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 02:08 PM   #3
Dansav7
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richm240xi View Post
I have a Corsa exhaust on my 2011 e92 335i xdrive and it’s a perfect fit and sounds absolutely amazing, I have it paired with a vrsf catless downpipe, and it’s not too loud at all, and zero drone. I highly recommend it, I’m gonna be parting ways with it soon though because I want to do a custom single exit
Did you do the catless downpipe yourself? Im looking at installing one but Ive heard its a pain to install them on xdrive models
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 07:03 PM   #4
Undecayed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was looking at a Corsa, but could only find it for non xDrive models. Do you have a link to yours? It sounded great on the videos they had, so if it's actually available somewhere I'd love to check it out!
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2023, 07:57 PM   #5
Xalithar
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 335I X-drive (2011)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I have a cobb exhaust for my 2011 335i xdrive. The best way to describe it is just a tier or two above stock in sound, there is a comfortable note in the exhaust with no drone what so ever. then when you want to hear it just roll the windows down and it will feel like you are resisting satan himself from mashing the throttle down. This is with the vrsf cattless downpipe. Another note to take on it it has both a resonator and a Helmholtz chamber which really quiet down the noise. I paid about 1650 all said and done. if you want a sound clip dm me and i can give you one.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 05:25 AM   #6
Richm240xi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansav7 View Post
Did you do the catless downpipe yourself? Im looking at installing one but Ive heard its a pain to install them on xdrive models
I had my shop install it and yea unfortunately on the e chassis it’s a big pain in the ass, from watching the work in my opinion the best way to do it if you don’t want to slightly lower the subframe is removing the passenger front axle, that should give you the room you need to play with
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 05:26 AM   #7
Richm240xi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecayed View Post
I was looking at a Corsa, but could only find it for non xDrive models. Do you have a link to yours? It sounded great on the videos they had, so if it's actually available somewhere I'd love to check it out!
They only sell one model for the e series and it fits both rwd and awd, I bought mine at extreme power house, right now they’re having a sale on it too for 400$ off, only 1,600, I would jump on it
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 11:45 AM   #8
Undecayed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They only sell one model for the e series and it fits both rwd and awd, I bought mine at extreme power house, right now they’re having a sale on it too for 400$ off, only 1,600, I would jump on it
Yeah I think that's where I was looking at it originally lol. It always worries me when they don't specify that it fits awd, but since you say it does, I'm gonna go with it. Sounds amazing in the videos they have, especially with the VRSF DP since that's what I'm gonna install soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 09:32 AM   #9
Javel
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 N55

Quote:
Yeah I think that's where I was looking at it originally lol. It always worries me when they don't specify that it fits awd, but since you say it does, I'm gonna go with it. Sounds amazing in the videos they have, especially with the VRSF DP since that's what I'm gonna install soon.
Would you mind following up on this? I was looking at purchasing the same exhaust lol. I myself have been looking and have been having trouble finding exhausts that fit xDrive models. I emailed extreme power house if it would fit my 2011 e90 with xDrive and they replied no. If it does fit then I want to jump on it as well, it does sound amazing in the videos
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 06:04 PM   #10
Undecayed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javel View Post
Would you mind following up on this? I was looking at purchasing the same exhaust lol. I myself have been looking and have been having trouble finding exhausts that fit xDrive models. I emailed extreme power house if it would fit my 2011 e90 with xDrive and they replied no. If it does fit then I want to jump on it as well, it does sound amazing in the videos
Sadly I haven't bought it or emailed anyone about fitment, some suspension issues came up and that took priority, and I don't wanna throw all the money I have currently at an exhaust (Recently turned 18 so not much in savings yet lol) but once I get around to it, I'll reply back to what I find out!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2023, 06:16 PM   #11
Richm240xi
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javel View Post
Not sure why they replied no, it fits in both e90 and e92 models, the only difference would be how far you adjust the exhaust tips. On the e90 chassis you usually adjust it about an inch shorter because the bumper doesn’t stick out as far as the e92
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 11:16 PM   #12
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

If you have a catless downpipe have you tried the golf tee mod? I thought golf tee + DP sounded phenominal on my old N55. There's always the VRSF offerings, the HKS legamax, the vanguard (knockoff of HKS), beluga/M2/circuit werks (another HKS knockoff on ebay), BMW PE or PE mod, etc.

Lots of options and likely all will sound great. The N55 is a naturally great sounding engine so while they may open up the sound to varying degrees, all will sound somewhat similar.

Btw the AE was the BEST exhaust for both N54 and N55. If you can find a used one, buy it.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 06:23 PM   #13
Undecayed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
If you have a catless downpipe have you tried the golf tee mod? I thought golf tee + DP sounded phenominal on my old N55. There's always the VRSF offerings, the HKS legamax, the vanguard (knockoff of HKS), beluga/M2/circuit werks (another HKS knockoff on ebay), BMW PE or PE mod, etc.

Lots of options and likely all will sound great. The N55 is a naturally great sounding engine so while they may open up the sound to varying degrees, all will sound somewhat similar.

Btw the AE was the BEST exhaust for both N54 and N55. If you can find a used one, buy it.
No golf tee mod, I did the alternative of unplugging the valve controller though. AFAIK the VRSF exhaust offerings are limited to muffler deletes, the actual exhuast systems are for non-xDrive only. The last I saw of the BMW PE was it going for like $5k, and while it does sound great, that's a little steep lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 06:57 PM   #14
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
No golf tee mod, I did the alternative of unplugging the valve controller though. AFAIK the VRSF exhaust offerings are limited to muffler deletes, the actual exhuast systems are for non-xDrive only. The last I saw of the BMW PE was it going for like $5k, and while it does sound great, that's a little steep lol.
Does anybody know why a rwd exhaust wouldn't fit an awd car? I've indeed seen mfg claim that rwd exhausts don't fit x-drive. But the downpipe is the same, and the exhaust side of the engine is opposite side of where the x drive fwd output comes out of the transmission. I can't see why anything would need to be different between rwd and awd.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2023, 07:15 PM   #15
cmbe92guy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i xdrive

Garage List
A good OEM alternative to the PE is the 335is muffler section. Significantly louder than the stock mufflers. Sounds great paired with a Catless downpipe. No drone at all. I got mine from Straight Six Autoparts for $450– they pop up periodically on marketplace/eBay. DM for sound clips.
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251690.50
      06-08-2023, 07:51 PM   #16
Undecayed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
Does anybody know why a rwd exhaust wouldn't fit an awd car? I've indeed seen mfg claim that rwd exhausts don't fit x-drive. But the downpipe is the same, and the exhaust side of the engine is opposite side of where the x drive fwd output comes out of the transmission. I can't see why anything would need to be different between rwd and awd.
Honestly I have no idea. Maybe different suspension/drivetrain set ups, and on the xDrive it blocks places where the rwd exhaust would go? I haven't really looked into it, I usually just take the manufacturers/part stores at their word on it lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 12:50 AM   #17
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1968768 or PE mod
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 06:49 PM   #18
Undecayed
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyzee125 View Post
$1200 is great, if it's still around after I fix my suspension and install my DP i'll jump on it.
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251690.50
      06-24-2023, 11:29 AM   #19
bimmerfan1972
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
I've done this twice now because I didn't like the first high flow cat I had installed. You really should lower the subframe, which is not difficult. Need to get some other things out of the way, like the passenger side engine mount bracket. Makes it a lot easier. But...the biggest PITA is the v-band clamp. It's like a Christmas miracle when that thing finally goes on properly. Other than that, the job is not too difficult, just time consuming.
      06-24-2023, 11:36 AM   #20
Dansav7
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i xDrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan1972 View Post
I've done this twice now because I didn't like the first high flow cat I had installed. You really should lower the subframe, which is not difficult. Need to get some other things out of the way, like the passenger side engine mount bracket. Makes it a lot easier. But...the biggest PITA is the v-band clamp. It's like a Christmas miracle when that thing finally goes on properly. Other than that, the job is not too difficult, just time consuming.
Do you think itd be possible through the passenger wheel well? Ive heard some people dying on the hill that its the best method and I don’t have access to a lift, only jack stands. At that point I’m thinking of doing it at a shop but it all depends on how possible it’d with the stuff/experience i have
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2023, 05:02 PM   #21
bimmerfan1972
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi

Garage List
Quote:
Do you think itd be possible through the passenger wheel well? Ive heard some people dying on the hill that its the best method and I don’t have access to a lift, only jack stands. At that point I’m thinking of doing it at a shop but it all depends on how possible it’d with the stuff/experience i have
It can be done on jack stands, but if you aren't comfortable with it, I would let someone else do it. I won't lie to you and say it is easy. Oh, also, I believe it is easier if you don't have x-drive, less stuff in the way. Not sure what you have.

Just looked at your signature, you have the same car I have except yours is manual. Yeah, it's a tough job for sure. Everything is easier if you don't have all wheel drive.
      06-24-2023, 06:03 PM   #22
flapeo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i x drive

I did my vrsf catless downpipe on my 2011 335xi without dropping the subframe. It was the biggest pain in the ass ever, imo i would just take it to a shop or drop the subframe.
Appreciate 1