E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > C350 vs 335I, just a slight comparison

01-17-2009, 09:30 AM   #1
tjnptel1
Cunning Linguist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
C350 vs 335I, just a slight comparison

Once a week every month, i have to drive down from Va. to NC. for work which is about a 400 miles round trip. This time, i had the opportunity to take my mom's C350.

Got a good chance to compare the cars.

I am not going to talk about the engine since the 335 blows it out of the water, i constantly found my self manually downshifting the auto in the c350 to remain in the 335ish power band. The 7 speed tranny in the c350 is a ridiculous over-kill. And I still found the gas economy the same as our cars.

The suspension is softer and more comfortable then our cars but it trades that for lack of better handling and steering response.

The navigation screen in the c350 is way better then ours, but the interface of our i-drive is better then that of the c350. The navigation functions also get disabled when car is in motion (though, i found out later that voice commands for navi is still possible which is kind of hypocritical 'cause you still have to look at the screen to see if the input is right)

The ipod interface in our cars is implemented better then the C350 and the sound quality is absolute crap compared to our cars. You can't control the ipod from the navi screen instead you are limited to controlling it from the instrument cluster. Though this is terrible, it gave me the ability to close the screen so it's not distracting. The great thing about the MB COMAND is that the navigation screen doesn't have to be open to be operated. The navigation instruction can be seen in the instrument cluster as well the audio functions. The speakers in the c350 lack quality. Our Logic7 is better then the MBs. The MB did have insane amount of sources. It has a built in HDD, compact flash card reader, a built in 6 - DVD changer (that reads MP3 dvds), Satellite Sirius radio, and iPod Interface. I didn't run out of music to listen to that's for sure. It also plays DVD-Videos when not in motion and the video quality is excellent.

The voice command on the MB is way better and more responsive then our cars. Why can't ours be this intellect?

The bluetooth interface is just as terrible. I synched it up with my blackberry but it couldn't bring the phone book to the car and if there was an incoming call, you wouldn't know who is calling because it won't automatically switch to the telephone function which is the only way to see who is calling.

The climate controls in our cars are better in the sense that you can customize it further then the c350 in the sense of the intenstity of the auto function and which vents get more air. There is also no "rest" function in the c350 which is quite annoying especially in 20 degree weather. The heated seats also gradually turn off automatically.

The seats on the C350 is not as comfortable as the 335i and both cars have the sports package. The c350 seats are not as adjustable as the 335i sport seats. The lack of memory seats in $40k+ car is completely retarded.

The cupholders on the c350 are way better then the 335i, they accommodate more sizes and are way more stable.

Only the driver's side and inside rear view mirror dims, not the passenger side. I hate not having the fact that the passenger side mirror won't auto fold down when you put it in reverse (may be because of the lack of memory seats) and no PDC on a $40k + car? wtf?

The car was absolutely rattle free even though it had 8k miles on the odo. I loved how quiet this car's interior is compared to our cars, even the rear shade didn't make a sound. One thing that i could find annoying is that to lower or raise the car's windows via keyfod is that you have it have it aimed at the door handle (it has a little ir receiver) So if you are not aiming it right, this function is pointless where as our cars you don't have to be pointed at the car but we all have heard the horror stories of this advantage.

Sorry for the long report, but overall for a car that's $42K, it's a great car but i think i would rather have a fully loaded 328i. Sucks my mom is a die-hard MB fan. I did get more compliments in this car as far as looks go then the 335i.
      01-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #2
RedGT3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: .2 GT3/M3cs

Great report thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 10:21 AM   #3
kidcolton
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 MG/SO DCMT

the new i drive system in the 2009 completely addresses almost every point you bring up. i have it in my 335 xdrive and love it. the screen and graphics have also been upgraded. system is very responsive, although voice command could be better. i also put in the audiophile sound system. the ipod interface is fantastic, it even charges the ipod!

my 06 325xi was returned in late november, i waffled back and forth between the c350 awd and the 335 xdrive, even after the benz dealer gave me the car on a saturday nite before closing and told me to return it monday morning, i couldnt fall in love with it. the 2 hours i spent with the 335 demo completely sold me. there was no turning back.

i admit, the benz c350 is a fine machine, but it was not available in stick.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 10:41 AM   #4
Aurora Bearialis
¡Barça!
Spain
Rep
Drives: Rainbow Sandals

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [0.00]
Finely done...
      01-17-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
Well Marbled
And slathered in sauce.
Rep
Drives: Like an escaped convict.
Location: Just off the information SuperHighway.I'm in the parking lot of the Strip Club w/ one of the dancers

Don't apologize for detail. It's what car geeks live for. Nice job.

I drove the C350 and I would have to say that if I was 10 years older.....
...it would be closer but still 335i FTW. Its just TOO quite and insular for me.
Same with the is350.

And I hated the plastics. I used to have a Golf that had nicer plastics than that MB.

THanks for the report.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #6
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

What year is the C350? I have a 2009 E350 and everything you say about using COMAND is either incorrect or it's an older version (although you said it's HDD which means a MY09.) Or, you don't know how to use it yet. Or, it's completely different in the E Klasse cars. (??)

Some examples: iPod works from both screen and cluster. 4GB Music Register works from both. Navi works all the time; can input while in motion, etc.. Blackberry pairs exceptionally well and loads addresses and the screen switches to phone with all calls. (ps., navi has POI with Zagat ratings; and you can call from the address on screen and all while in motion.) Voice control does just about everything but you have to first go through a voice recognition exercise so it knows the sound of your voice.

My only complaint is the somewhat numb steering and softer suspension, as you mention (at least compared to a BMW.) But again, I'm driving the E. The AMG "sport" package on my E (with lowered suspension and staggered 18" rims) does help a lot. So do better performance tires (no RFT on MBs, thank goodness!) Is it the AMG "sport" version? Do you have leather or MBTex? The leather seats are super comfortable, btw. (at least in the E Klasse....)

But these cars are cruising cars and not sport sedans. I bought it as a DD for comfort. That's where they really deliver. But are still nimble enough. They are also super safe (and with the pre-crash system, etc..)

For a sports sedan, I'd definitely get a 3er or 5er. The C and E are not sports sedans. If you want road feel and input, the BMW wins for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

nice write up.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 07:58 AM   #8
tjnptel1
Cunning Linguist
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
What year is the C350? I have a 2009 E350 and everything you say about using COMAND is either incorrect or it's an older version (although you said it's HDD which means a MY09.) Or, you don't know how to use it yet. Or, it's completely different in the E Klasse cars. (??)

Some examples: iPod works from both screen and cluster. 4GB Music Register works from both. Navi works all the time; can input while in motion, etc.. Blackberry pairs exceptionally well and loads addresses and the screen switches to phone with all calls. (ps., navi has POI with Zagat ratings; and you can call from the address on screen and all while in motion.) Voice control does just about everything but you have to first go through a voice recognition exercise so it knows the sound of your voice.

My only complaint is the somewhat numb steering and softer suspension, as you mention (at least compared to a BMW.) But again, I'm driving the E. The AMG "sport" package on my E (with lowered suspension and staggered 18" rims) does help a lot. So do better performance tires (no RFT on MBs, thank goodness!) Is it the AMG "sport" version? Do you have leather or MBTex? The leather seats are super comfortable, btw. (at least in the E Klasse....)
The C-class is a 2009
the E class and the C class COMANDs are different. Especially in the US where they numb down everything due to safety regulations. Which is why occasionally you will see people switching out US COMAND for Euro ones.
      01-18-2009, 08:24 AM   #9
Jns2001
Second Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: BMW 325i

On the lower end of the line, I test drove a MB C300 and my current 325i, I thought that the MB had better comfort than the Bimmer, It also had a little bit more power on the low end, my car needs to rev high to have the power delivered. As far as handling the BMW has a larger advantage on it, I was really in doubt until a dealer had a left over 2008 for 15K less than the MB, then I was sold.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 11:49 AM   #10
stickypaws
Dictator
Rep
Drives: people crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjnptel1 View Post
The C-class is a 2009
the E class and the C class COMANDs are different. Especially in the US where they numb down everything due to safety regulations. Which is why occasionally you will see people switching out US COMAND for Euro ones.
Yeah, the E and C must be really different. The only thing disabled in mine is the DVD playback while in motion (except you still get the audio portion.) Everything else can be input while driving. The Euro spec allows full DVD playback in motion.

I know people will switch out the US version for the Euro spec just to get the DVD playback function. But they cost a boatload $$ from the dealer. Most people that switch for the Euro spec are people with pre-2009 versions and want the much better HDD upgrade more than anything else.

p.s., that 7-speed tranny is actually a dream. It does save mpg, and you can set it for C mode and it will start out in 2nd saving mpg and comfort. However, once in S mode you can then train the tranny to act like you want it to (takes about 200 miles or so.) Use the paddle shifters at redline and the tranny will be trained to always go to higher rpms. It's a very, very smooth transmission. Especially once you train it and it sets the computer.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #11
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

The Corono rings aka Angel eyes look a lot better then the normal parking lights on the C350.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2009, 07:49 AM   #12
bmw-hoya
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego Blue 335i

Great review.

Did anyone else notice how everything is white? White house, white minivan, white 350, 335i etc. Just missing the white picket fence! Good look for the 'burbs, though.
Appreciate 0