E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > true confession....n54 oem pcv crankcase vent hose

05-01-2023, 05:12 PM   #1
E93Seattle (Racerbruce)
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is E93 & 2021 X3

true confession....n54 oem pcv crankcase vent hose

while upgrading the oem pcv valve to a ftp motorsport billet aluminum pcv valve, i purchased a replacement oem pcv crankcase vent hose; after trying for some length of time to disconnect the vent hose, i (again) watched videos of said hose replacement; i studied the oem replacement hose, hoping to find the answer as to how the freaking thing releases without breaking it; i studied the power brake vent line where its similar connection lands near the oil filter housing; i tried small screwdrivers asserting equal pressure; the connection next to the pcv valve @ the valve cover can't be squeezed by hand at 3-9 or at 12-6 due to no physical access; i went back to the internet and this time found long threads on bimmerpost where multiple souls had the same fate....many of these souls gave up and freaking pried it open - breaking the oem "squeeze" fitting to release the hose.

i confess - i finally did the same thing; my 2013 335is e93 dct is only ten years old @ 38K miles, and unsure if these squeeze type fittings and hose became heat damaged; i had read that if/when the pcv valve is replaced or if you increase boost psi, this hose should be proactively replaced; i installed the jb+ software that plugs into the tmap sensor and increases boost, so i wanted to do the right thing and replace the pcv crankcase hose.

anyone out there with a similar experience? i just couldn't find the "touch" to remove said fitting without physically eliminating this freaking fitting.

Last edited by E93Seattle (Racerbruce); 05-01-2023 at 05:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2023, 05:42 PM   #2
dmckmc
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i E60 (2008)

no luck pinching here either. end up using two small screwdrivers, one on each side of the clip to lift and wiggle if off.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2023, 10:46 AM   #3
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Oh yeah had trouble with it to. You definitely need to use small flat screwdrivers or pick tools to pry all 4 sides. First time I did it with not much issue but second time had to remove it I lost it and just broke it off to and figured I'd get a new one for preventative maintenance lol.
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2023, 02:17 PM   #4
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by E93Seattle View Post
while upgrading the oem pcv valve to a ftp motorsport billet aluminum pcv valve, i purchased a replacement oem pcv crankcase vent hose; after trying for some length of time to disconnect the vent hose, i (again) watched videos of said hose replacement; i studied the oem replacement hose, hoping to find the answer as to how the freaking thing releases without breaking it; i studied the power brake vent line where its similar connection lands near the oil filter housing; i tried small screwdrivers asserting equal pressure; the connection next to the pcv valve @ the valve cover can't be squeezed by hand at 3-9 or at 12-6 due to no physical access; i went back to the internet and this time found long threads on bimmerpost where multiple souls had the same fate....many of these souls gave up and freaking pried it open - breaking the oem "squeeze" fitting to release the hose.

i confess - i finally did the same thing; my 2013 335is e93 dct is only ten years old @ 38K miles, and unsure if these squeeze type fittings and hose became heat damaged; i had read that if/when the pcv valve is replaced or if you increase boost psi, this hose should be proactively replaced; i installed the jb+ software that plugs into the tmap sensor and increases boost, so i wanted to do the right thing and replace the pcv crankcase hose.

anyone out there with a similar experience? i just couldn't find the "touch" to remove said fitting without physically eliminating this freaking fitting.
I heard that thing was a female dog to remove so I ordered one before I did my valve cover and was glad I did. Just ripped it off and it crumbled but the new one was easy to put on.
Appreciate 1