E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > New York Plane crash

01-16-2009, 09:58 AM   #1
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
New York Plane crash

How scary. Cant believe how he managed to save it.... What a legend. Hope his miswah gives him some shamoan lovin' tonight.

Both engines Defucnt due to a ''bird strike'' Not often two at once re, usually just one.....

To land safely in water and not end up like this one is miraculous.

This was a hi-jacked plane which ran out of fuel so was out of control so made contact with the water at 175mph at an angle and tore apart. Many people lost their lives, many due to inflating there life jackets before leaving the aircraft and as water filled the plane they where floating inside and could not escape.

Here is a bird strike at Manchester airport 2007.

How scary is that. Imagine hearing the noise then seeing the smoke as a passenger, you would shit ya pants...

this is similar to what happened to the new york plane crash, although i am sure it must have happened alot higher up than the vid i posted as im sure it would have decked right away with both engines down and disintergrated.

So i assume it struck the birds after gaining some good height which helped a safe glide down.

I may be wrong though.

Thank god they had a experianced pilot (years and years and EX fighter pilot)
who kept calm and saved the day.

I have flown since i was only weeks old. 4 holidays a year growing up and lived in italy and flew back and forth...

Since i was 14 i have not liked fyling. Scared majorly. Not helped by watching programs like ''Air crash investigation''

I also found out that air travel is only safer than road travel by so much because its measured by miles travelled.... which gives it a major safety rating....

if it was measured on trips made and not miles it would bring it down much closer to road travel safety.

Anyone else not keen on flying?

EDIT TO SAY CLICK THE youtube links
      01-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #2
Budgie
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X1 25D M sport

Garage List
I love flying and i prefer not to comment on engine failures having seen many in my time.It actually occurs quite often.

A more scary stat is the amount i saw in Miami/Florida a few years back that had lightning strikes...now thats fun to see in the cockpit i can tell you.

The NY crash just tells me what ive known for 16 years of working on planes...

THESE GUYS ARE GOOD.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
MOB
Major
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M2 LCI

I'm not a fan of the landing part, but I put up with it
      01-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
I dont mind the landing, its like getting closer to being safe. The take off and engine failure during take coupled with the copious amounts of fuel on board still un-burnt is wha scares me.

Did you watch the vids?
      01-16-2009, 10:15 AM   #5
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Agree, the pilot did a phenomenal job to land the aircraft and keep it intact

Most water landings result in the aircraft disintegrating.

Amazing
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOB View Post
Landing is much better than the alternative
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 10:19 AM   #7
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Last June, i was coming home from Majorca, they were taking ages loading everyone onto the plane, once all on the pilot said sorry about the wait, some of the last borders would have seen the engineers checking out the bottom of the plane,

straight away my heart sank and i was so scared.

He went onto say the plane was struck by lightening on the inboard flight so they were checking for any cracks in the aluminuin...

ouch which anyone could guess would open up under pressure in the sky..

We were given the all clear but then i was worried that the engines could cut out at any time cuz of the electronics..

I was a wreck all the way home. Even made the miswah scared and she has always been fine flying.
      01-16-2009, 10:24 AM   #8
Budgie
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
Planes especially the new Airbus fleet are superb machines to work on/fly ...and stats say...if it stalls on the landing section...ull land well and safely more often than not.Taking off is another matter the odds are very much stacked against you with most having average 8k-kgs to 10k kgs of fuel on board.He knew the aera and luckily had enough speed to get to a waypoint,the tail is literally arse ended into water to stop the massive speed reduction inertia,then gently lay down.

Also under the belly is a ram air turbine that pops out to supply power in the event of a engine failure.

I could go mega technical but im not a sad bastard yet,but can assure you its the training these pilots get/refreshers,that make each incident easier to handle and deal with.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 10:34 AM   #9
Porscha!
Should be on www.retrorides.com
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 944

Garage List
I hate flying really can't be doing with it even though I've flown to lots and lots of places, long haul, short haul any you like but I've always hated it ever since September 11th and after seeing other crashes I also just don't think is natural for people to be up in the air,

Rather drive or sail any day of the week.

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 10:37 AM   #10
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porscha! View Post
I hate flying really can't be doing with it even though I've flown to lots and lots of places, long haul, short haul any you like but I've always hated it ever since September 11th and after seeing other crashes I also just don't think is natural for people to be up in the air,

Rather drive or sail any day of the week.
you may not be on my wavelength with cars, but you certainly are regarding air travel.
      01-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #11
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
LOL no I think we'll have to agree to disagree on cars. . . we may both be petrol heads but on a total different spectrum!

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 10:48 AM   #12
Aurora Bearialis
¡Barça!
Spain
Rep
Drives: Rainbow Sandals

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOB View Post
Everyone here says he landed, I say he crashed smoothly. If it's not on a runway or not on water with the special water planes then it's not landing it's crashing in my book. Which is a good book BTW... lol
      01-16-2009, 11:26 AM   #13
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

My missus is horrendous with flying - even a jaunt across to Marbella requires a doctors visit for Valium. Whenever we fly we always book a lounge, so that she can panic in private and drink copius amounts of vodka! New year was no exception.

She used to be fine, actually enjoyed flying and cites her now panic-status to (believe it or not) the air crash sequence in Final Destination!

I on the other hand could not be any more different. It takes all my effort (and the wife crushing my hand and whispering hail mary's) not to fall asleep as soon as I'm the seat. I am totally relaxed on a plane.

Not wishing to set off anyone's "wierdo alarams" but I do have a pretty morbid fascination with air crashes. I'm Not sure why, it's certainly not an interest I'd willingly choose, but for some reason I really am interested in them.

For the record, there have been a small number of successful 'small body' water landings (succesful denoting the fuselage not splitting open like a can of pilchards) but never one involving a large-body plane.

With regards to the clip Carlos posted of the highjacked jet running out of fuel and ditching; the pilot didn't have use of the flaps (the raim air system described by budgie doesn't allow full use of flaps on the Boeing 767), and was thus unable to slow the plane, hence it hit the water at close on 200mph - way too hot. Also the pilot was wrestling for control of the plane with a hi jacker, hence the left hand wing tip hitting the water and pulling the plane apart.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 11:32 AM   #14
Porscha!
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
That sounds awful, though I really can't understands what she flies for when she feels that bad, I hate planes but I don't get into a complete panic, if I felt like that I would always drive or sail!

Odd thing to have a fascination with and still be really relaxed on the flight lol takes assorts I suppose

Front Engined Porsche
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #15
Carrera RSR
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: BMW

By the way, the correct term isn't an 'air crash' its officially known as 'a chain of events that lead to an incident' If you can break the chain of incidents then the aircraft will not crash!!!

I used to fly years ago as a job. As Budgie will verify there are more 'incidents' than any of us will realise. Luckily most of us don't and flight crew are well trained to 'break the chain'.

Flying is still the safest form of transport on miles, journeys or passengers carried, end of. The most dangerous part is taking off then landing. 35,000 feet cruising is the easy bit. Unless your flying over Everest, then I suggest 38,000 feet.

I have had bird strikes (check the nose of aircraft often to see the blood splatters), lightning strike (i did swear very loudly that day), engine failure (can still fly on one, just), and a cabin door open on me at 120mph on the runway just after landing.

I've done the smoke filled cabin evacuation and its surprising how disoriented you are and how long it really takes to get out. Just try to sit as near an exit as you can. Also don't recommend being on a aircraft disintegrating at full cruising height and speed. It will really take your head off!!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 12:04 PM   #16
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Mucho respect to the pilot - cracking job.
      01-16-2009, 12:40 PM   #17
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

The pilot has earned all these accolades serious imo to pull that off without any casualties.

Its a nice story inbetween all theis doom and gloom at the moment.
      01-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #18
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
He was only doing his job.
      01-16-2009, 01:10 PM   #19
Budgie
Major
England
Rep

Garage List
As carrerarsr points out its only cos you dont work in that line that many things dont make sense to you the average punter...i do work on them and put it this way ive seen many things and horror stories in the globe and Russia recently that would put you off flying for life...in many cases ...literally your life is in grave danger.

Congo,Sierra Leone are by far the worst place for staff and planes ive EVER seen.

A technical log is something kept in the cockpit and inspected after each flight to record failures.Many planes ive seen have clear books and massive failures on board by still continue to fly.This doesnt happen in EU and bigger countries and most planes now have OBD/laptop repairs and manuals built in.

Many planes do still fly with minor faults uncorrect due to not having service agreements in countries away from home bases.These can be simple as a lightbulb out on ya seat to something a little more technical but not serious to ground it.

Have faith though i know many senior and junior captains and flight officers and these guys train hard ,have massive patience and perfect temperaments.Calm in a crisis is the perfect description for many,true pro's.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 01:39 PM   #20
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

I love flying...the concept of it all still fascinates me!

I also find the Aircrash Investigation programmes equally as fascinating (I think I know them all off by heart now!) but have to admit that combining the two doesn't appeal!

+1 to the pilot yesterday though - when you look at the course he was on and where he 'placed' the plane in the Hudson you appreciate the amount of skill he had. May have been a totally different story with someone else at the helm!
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2009, 02:04 PM   #21
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Lucky he was so experianced. Flown fighter jets before that big airbus was like driving a diesel taxi people carrier LOL.
      01-16-2009, 05:16 PM   #22
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Anyone else not keen on flying?
Wholeheartedly with you Fandango, totally dread holidays that involve flying.

Well its not so much flying, give me my own plane and i'd be ok, in fact i've done some private pilots lessons and loved it but GET ME OFF THIS F**KING AIRLINER!!!!!

Dunno why, maybe its the control thing.
Appreciate 0