F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > NBT Drive Cloning
Extreme Powerhouse

02-15-2023, 03:00 PM   #1
4x4kiwi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW Active Hybrid 3

NBT Drive Cloning

There seem to be a few people on here with a very good understanding of how to rebuild a drive for the NBT when it crashes. I have read all the threads I can find and if necessary will give this a go If/When the time comes.
My question is :- Is it possible to clone the existing drive, with something like Clonezilla or maybe Acronis - before it fails. I am under the impression it will just do a sector to sector clone, so should just copy all the partition sizes and all data including maps and manuals, that seem to be a bit harder to get back in the rebuild threads. I am also assuming there is a reason this is not possible. Perhaps these programs don't support the QNX operating system/format, or something to do with the way the drive is locked, although I would have thought this would all just get copied as well. Thanks for any help/information you can provide, as I know very little about it, but worry that at 10 years old now, my drive will fail one day.
David
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 04:07 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I haven't seen a reasonably easy method yet. I'd do it in a heartbeat if there was. I re-clone the SSD on my computer every six months, which takes about an hour.
Appreciate 0