E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Does anyone on here actively compete with a 335i/135i?

01-09-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
Eric@AMS
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Does anyone on here actively compete with a 335i/135i?

Part of developing products for a line of cars requires getting it into the hands of people that can really kick the snot out of it and make sure its going to last. Nobody does that better than a racer active in a series.

Long story short we are looking for just those people!

I would love to hear from some guys that are actively competing with their N54 or have a history of it and plan on doing so in 2009.

Eric
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Looking at Grassroots Motorsports..I know some guys are racing 135i's...but I dont know anyone racing a 335i. I have raced in Spec Miata for several years..but am not racing my 335i. I definitely put it thru paces while on track..since I instruct..and Time Trial. What exactly do you want to pursue? Oil cooler, bigger intercooler, camber plates, LSD, brake upgrades, clutch upgrades, and bigger turbos?

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

http://www.socaleuro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32201

this is the only N54 I have seen club racing. They were also written about in the Roundel mid-summer.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
Eric@AMS
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4to335 View Post
Looking at Grassroots Motorsports..I know some guys are racing 135i's...but I dont know anyone racing a 335i. I have raced in Spec Miata for several years..but am not racing my 335i. I definitely put it thru paces while on track..since I instruct..and Time Trial. What exactly do you want to pursue? Oil cooler, bigger intercooler, camber plates, LSD, brake upgrades, clutch upgrades, and bigger turbos?
We are looking for guys that can compete with our products to show the community what they are capable of

On a side note someone like yourself is not out of the question either if you can provide valuable input for us and the N54 Community

As far as what we are making...well just about everything you listed and whatever we feel is inadequate or needs room for improvement. I don't know if you have ever seen our EVO catalog but its quite the long list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by satakal View Post
http://www.socaleuro.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32201

this is the only N54 I have seen club racing. They were also written about in the Roundel mid-summer.
Thank you very much. I will look into this!

Eric
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 07:54 PM   #5
M3to335
Whats that smell?
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers, duh

As mentioned earlier, not many 335s are running in a series. I do enjoy putting it through the paces at the track though
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 01:26 AM   #6
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
What kind of series are you speaking of? I may compete at the SF region SCCA autocross this year... Not completely decided yet because I have 3 weekends in August that are taken up for weddings, and missing those may automatically bump me off the standings. I'll be in BSP.
      01-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #7
Gen_E92
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: slow

Garage List
2007 335i  [7.80]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowbow View Post
What kind of series are you speaking of? I may compete at the SF region SCCA autocross this year... Not completely decided yet because I have 3 weekends in August that are taken up for weddings, and missing those may automatically bump me off the standings. I'll be in BSP.
Are you going to be running r-comp? BSP will be very tough without them. I actually did better when I was in stock class than in BSP after suspension upgrade and running on Z1 star spec.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2009, 03:35 PM   #8
Chowbow
pew pew
Rep
Drives: 三三五i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen_E92 View Post
Are you going to be running r-comp? BSP will be very tough without them. I actually did better when I was in stock class than in BSP after suspension upgrade and running on Z1 star spec.
Yeah I'll definitely need R-comps whether I'm in FS or BSP. I can also run in the street tire classes (FS-T1 or BSP-T2).

Both classes are actually very expensive to run in. With FS, it's all in the shock tuning and you go through tires without real alignment options. I can easily throw $3k at the shocks (before tuning), and the tires are pretty expensive when running on the 18" rims.

BSP helps in that I can do some other mods to try and balance out the car, run camber plates to help get the car turning in, and the biggest help is that I can run 17" rims and save a lot of $$ on tires.

Any of the street touring classes can be MUCH cheaper to run in, but the 335i does not qualify since it has 2 turbos.

I am likely to run in BSP since I have friends who run in that class and it's good competition to push each other further. Most of them are Evos that places well and some insane Corvettes. I believe we have a national BSP champ in our region but he has not been attending with much consistency anymore. Otherwise, most of the guys I know in BSP would be toast!