BMW 2-Series Gran Coupe
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-08-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Scimitar335i
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Do you have haters or 1up-ers in your family?

Just curious. I find that with my family whenever I get something new for myself ie new car, clothes, computer, etc they are always trying to 1up on me. Its so annoying! Just curious how many of you also suffer from family hater/1up-er syndrome....
      01-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
asian010
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

yep
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
I think for my age i'm going quite well for myself. . .
So none that i can think of right now. . .
Definitely know alot of haters. . .
Mostly from coworkers and so called friends.

Who in your case?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 07:26 PM   #4
ejazbmw
blahhh
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235I

not me but my sisters who are older then me, my middle sister got her pharmacy degree and then my oldest sister went back to school to get her PHD in bio lol
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 07:41 PM   #5
FR305
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i Coupe

My grandpa is always hating every time I go to a family reunion. Always giving me shit about how he didnt have anything at my age. Then everyone starts with the same shit. This goes on for about 30min in wish the whole conversation is about how I am such a spoiled kid and shit. This is usually the same conversation we have every time I see them.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

that doesn't happen very often in my family we usually look out for each other but i know a lot of "friends" that hate on me when i get something new or change my fashion or something similar.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

it happens alot in our entire fam. (uncles and cousins etc).
      01-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #8
FStop7
I like cars
Vatican City State
Rep
Drives: M6

I don't know because I don't talk about that sort of thing with my family in the first place.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #9
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Instead of viewing it as a hatred/ 1 up thing, view it as a compliment.

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

My father in law usually 1 ups me, but I take it in stride:

I bought/set up a home theater system - He got a larger system
I bought a Nikon D300 - He got a D90
I bought an IMac 21 inch - He got the 24 inch

No problem with it though - He tends to like the stuff that I or my brother in laws purchases, sees the benefits, and then goes out a buys it. Once he's purchased - I know its been main streamed. (both him and my mother in law have Iphones now)...
      01-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #10
diablito
motorist
Peru
Rep
Drives: E90M, E93M

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS View Post

No problem with it though - He tends to like the stuff that I or my brother in laws purchases, sees the benefits, and then goes out a buys it. Once he's purchased - I know its been main streamed. (both him and my mother in law have Iphones now)...
thats classic the father in law...Good on you.
      01-09-2009, 09:02 AM   #11
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCS View Post

My Dad did the same thing when I got my 325i. He had been thinking of getting a BMW for a while and never actually did it. Well I got my 325i and he liked it, mine is fairly basic as well. Well 2 months later he goes and gets a near loaded 330i. That ass. It's all good though. My lease is up soon and I plan on getting a 335i, that will show him. For now

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #12
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivera.sa View Post
My grandpa is always hating every time I go to a family reunion. Always giving me shit about how he didnt have anything at my age. Then everyone starts with the same shit. This goes on for about 30min in wish the whole conversation is about how I am such a spoiled kid and shit. This is usually the same conversation we have every time I see them.
Ha....was like that for me, when i was younger during family get-togethers, my uncles will start talking about how they never had Video games and cell phones and dvd players and we are so spoiled we dont value life LOL
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 09:05 AM   #13
Whostheboss
Captain
Rep
Drives: a 9incher

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
My Dad did the same thing when I got my 325i. He had been thinking of getting a BMW for a while and never actually did it. Well I got my 325i and he liked it, mine is fairly basic as well. Well 2 months later he goes and gets a near loaded 330i. That ass. It's all good though. My lease is up soon and I plan on getting a 335i, that will show him. For now
then he'll get the //M
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #14
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
My father's side of the family (mostly his cousins) are all extremely envious people so we haven't talked to them in years because of it. As far as my familly that I talk to, and my real friends, there is no jealousy or hating from them, which is the way that it should be. I'm always happy whenever someone in my family or one of my friends is doing well for themselves... I don't get people.

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #15
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whostheboss View Post
then he'll get the //M
Nah, He won't want to drop that kind of coin. Besides the fact that he would be stretching to do so. I'll likely win the car wars since I'm a car nut and have no other expensive vices.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 09:30 AM   #16
TiAg335i
Trance Life
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

This is the way the world works unfortunately. Haters and 1-upers.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #17
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Not really my family, but my neighbor across the street back home. The kid has ZERO, and I mean ZERO friends besides me because they all came to realize what a jackass he is and stopped talking to him. His parents have always been really good to me though so I continue to put up with his shit because I know they appreciate me still being his friend. Hell, his own Grandma was talking to my mom one day and was telling her how when life really hits him, he'll be in for a rude ass awakening.

I got my 3 series over the summer (He was driving a 2006 C280) and you could see it in his face when he heard I got a BMW that he was jealous. So he was casually talking to me about it and asked how many miles the car came with (insinuating that I got it used). I just nonchalantly say 7 miles. You could see him get even more jealous when he realized I got it new. Anyways, his daddy got him a new C300 sport with just the automatic (so basically a stripped version) over Christmas break.

He calls me up, "Hey want to go to a movie tonight?"

Me: "Sure, when are you going to be back home?"

Him: "Oh, I'm at the Mercedes dealership."

Me: "Cool" (I'm gonna make him work if he wants to gloat)

Him: "Yeah man, I'm getting the new C. Dude, I didn't want to say anything before but your 3 beat my old car by a mile, but this new C, dude, you have no idea. It destroys the 3. It is on a whole different level, they don't even compete. This could take on the 5 series."

Me: Silence

Him: "Yeah man it's sooo nice inside"

Me: "Blake, I know they can't compete, OK? That is why I bought the 3 series. Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Automobile Magazine, Top Gear, Road and Track, and every single automotive publication out there can't be wrong. I don't even have the sport package and I could run circles around your car. I'm glad you think the C is the best car ever, but I'd put my trust in people who get paid to test cars for a living. So pull your head out of your ass and stop being a douchebag."

Him: "Alright, I'll talk to you later" and he hung up.

This is the same kid who argued Bugatti makes a four door car. I really can't stand him sometimes.
      01-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #18
tommydogsdad
On My Third Drop Top BMW!
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 335i Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
Not really my family, but my neighbor across the street back home. The kid has ZERO, and I mean ZERO friends besides me because they all came to realize what a jackass he is and stopped talking to him. His parents have always been really good to me though so I continue to put up with his shit because I know they appreciate me still being his friend. Hell, his own Grandma was talking to my mom one day and was telling her how when life really hits him, he'll be in for a rude ass awakening.

I got my 3 series over the summer (He was driving a 2006 C280) and you could see it in his face when he heard I got a BMW that he was jealous. So he was casually talking to me about it and asked how many miles the car came with (insinuating that I got it used). I just nonchalantly say 7 miles. You could see him get even more jealous when he realized I got it new. Anyways, his daddy got him a new C300 sport with just the automatic (so basically a stripped version) over Christmas break.

He calls me up, "Hey want to go to a movie tonight?"

Me: "Sure, when are you going to be back home?"

Him: "Oh, I'm at the Mercedes dealership."

Me: "Cool" (I'm gonna make him work if he wants to gloat)

Him: "Yeah man, I'm getting the new C. Dude, I didn't want to say anything before but your 3 beat my old car by a mile, but this new C, dude, you have no idea. It destroys the 3. It is on a whole different level, they don't even compete. This could take on the 5 series."

Me: Silence

Him: "Yeah man it's sooo nice inside"

Me: "Blake, I know they can't compete, OK? That is why I bought the 3 series. Motor Trend, Car and Driver, Automobile Magazine, Top Gear, Road and Track, and every single automotive publication out there can't be wrong. I don't even have the sport package and I could run circles around your car. I'm glad you think the C is the best car ever, but I'd put my trust in people who get paid to test cars for a living. So pull your head out of your ass and stop being a douchebag."

Him: "Alright, I'll talk to you later" and he hung up.

This is the same kid who argued Bugatti makes a four door car. I really can't stand him sometimes.
That is the best story. Way to put the bastard in his place.
      01-09-2009, 11:21 AM   #19
Indenial
Hotdog Vendor
Rep
Drives: a 335 hoe

The world drinks haterade.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #20
Desi
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i M-Sport X-Drive

Yep, my family is full of one-uppers. We bought a new house back in '01, they all one-by-one "out-did" us and bought larger houses. Whatever. I bought my Bimmer on my own by busting my ass at age 19, all their parents bought them cars (not on the same level as the Bimmer, but they were trying to "stay in the game"). Goes all the way down to Computers, Cell Phones, Clothes and even education. Most of my cousins didn't want to go to University, until their parents found out that I am working on getting into law school; now every single one of my cousins is in some BA Program and their families say they want to go on to do Law.

Whatever, its funny to look at them over-extend themselves. Go ahead and one-up us, we're not that vain. Bottom line is, your up to your eye-balls in debt trying to be "superior" whereas everything my family has is now 100% Mortgage free, I'm paying my way through school without a single dollar in loans (or scholarships, but not by choice), and I'm making my last payment on my car in the next couple of months (two years ahead of schedule).
      01-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #21
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
My family doesn't care about cars or material things that much. Thank God.

And Bugatti made a prototype four-door, the EB 218, almost a decade ago:

Appreciate 0
      01-09-2009, 04:37 PM   #22
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
My family doesn't care about cars or material things that much. Thank God.

And Bugatti made a prototype four-door, the EB 218, almost a decade ago:

hahaaaa omg owned so badly

Appreciate 0