THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum HK Underseat Subwoofers still not working..

02-03-2023, 08:26 PM   #1
jaxbmr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

HK Underseat Subwoofers still not working..

Please help! 2015 BMW M235i..

It’s been over 6 months since my HK subwoofers last worked. Both subwoofers died at the exact same time, they didn’t make any noise but they just shut off. I had people telling me it was my amp.. so I just recently sent it for a brand new bavsound revenant pro amplifier and full stage 1 speakers. Was disappointed to test it out and see my subwoofers were still not working.. I checked my error codes and all I have is a “Central Fault Memory Full”. What’s going on??
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2023, 10:27 PM   #2
kschwiggy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Conv.

I'm having the same problem... 2016 M235 and my subs have no output. I recently installed the Revenant Pro and no luck. I have the Ghost subs on order and will swap them in to see if the HK subs just died.
Appreciate 1
jaxbmr0.00
      02-06-2023, 10:30 PM   #3
jaxbmr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kschwiggy View Post
I'm having the same problem... 2016 M235 and my subs have no output. I recently installed the Revenant Pro and no luck. I have the Ghost subs on order and will swap them in to see if the HK subs just died.
Thanks bro. Please let me know. I have an appointment at bmw tomorrow as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 02:21 PM   #4
mecodoug2
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i MT

Suggest taking a resistance measurement from the amp end (with speaker wires unplugged) to see if the voice coils are shot. If you get a number near infinity, they are shot. If you get an ohm or a few ohms they are good.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 01:05 PM   #5
jaxbmr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxbmr View Post
Thanks bro. Please let me know. I have an appointment at bmw tomorrow as well.
Quote:
BMW was no help. Left me car there for 2 days and just got a call and they said they can’t do anything because it’s an aftermarket amplifier, even though the amp clearly isn’t the problem..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 08:57 AM   #6
kschwiggy
Private
Rep

Sorry to hear that. My Ghost subs arrive today, but I may not be able to install until tomorrow. I'll follow up after I do.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 11:38 AM   #7
jaxbmr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. My Ghost subs arrive today, but I may not be able to install until tomorrow. I'll follow up after I do.
Sweet. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 09:16 AM   #8
kschwiggy
Private
Rep

I swapped in the Bavsound Ghosts. There seems to be more bass now, but not a dramatic difference. Sound in the car still seems very treble-heavy, even if I set treble to -3 and bass to +3 (the max settings that Bavsound recommends. I also felt the subwoofer grilles for vibration while playing, and there is some, but not as much as I expected. That said, the subs are brand new, so I will need to break them in over the next few days.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2023, 11:59 AM   #9
jaxbmr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I swapped in the Bavsound Ghosts. There seems to be more bass now, but not a dramatic difference. Sound in the car still seems very treble-heavy, even if I set treble to -3 and bass to +3 (the max settings that Bavsound recommends. I also felt the subwoofer grilles for vibration while playing, and there is some, but not as much as I expected. That said, the subs are brand new, so I will need to break them in over the next few days.
That’s awesome, yeah I have seen some people add sound deadening on the inside for more direct punch. But I believe bavsound did mark a 12 hours break in before they go crazy. But, Was the stock subwoofers the problem as of no bass? They haven’t cut out at all? They still work after like 5 minutes or under alittle pressure? Please let me know bro! Thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 01:58 PM   #10
kschwiggy
Private
Rep

Yeah they seem to be working fine. I about 3 hours on them this morning, and will update after I get close to 10-12 hours.

When I pulled the old subs, the driver's side sub had corrosion on it. Maybe the previous owner spilled liquid onto the sub and caused it to get stuck or fail early.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2023, 08:14 AM   #11
kschwiggy
Private
Rep

Out of curiosity, I swapped the Bavsound Revenant Pro back to the HK amp last weekend. What a difference. There was almost zero output from the subs with the Revenant Pro amp, and the mid range speakers were working very hard. After swapping back to the HK amp, the Bavsound Ghost subwoofers really came alive. I returned the Bavsound amp, but am keeping the subs.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2023, 08:41 PM   #12
jaxbmr
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Out of curiosity, I swapped the Bavsound Revenant Pro back to the HK amp last weekend. What a difference. There was almost zero output from the subs with the Revenant Pro amp, and the mid range speakers were working very hard. After swapping back to the HK amp, the Bavsound Ghost subwoofers really came alive. I returned the Bavsound amp, but am keeping the subs.
The subwoofers worked with the revenant pro amp though? Did they go the full 12 hours and did they still work?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2023, 06:21 AM   #13
kschwiggy
Private
Rep

They worked with the Revenant pro, but output was very low. I only put about 6 hours on the subs before swapping the amp back to HK. The subs play just fine with the HK amp, so I don't think another 6 hours of break in would have made much difference with the Rev pro amp.
Appreciate 0