E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > New E91 - random thoughts so far.

05-14-2006, 04:16 PM   #1
Jibber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xiT

New E91 - random thoughts so far.

I've had my new E91 for about three weeks now and I've been so busy that I really haven't had time to post, but now thought I'd share a few random thoughts:

- Amazing. I'm still in awe of this car. The first night I picked it up I sat in driver's seat, in the garage for hours learning all the controls, etc.

- Driving is fun again. I feel like I just got my license or something. The handling is so smooth and responsive. Brakes feel a bit touchy though. They certainly work! I'm getting used to them though.

- Oddly, the aluminum gear shift against Poplar doesn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would. It makes sense in it's own way, matching other interior items. Still, I'm going to get a Poplar one when I get a chance.

- Bluetooth is great. What a perfect system. I bought a Motorola v557 and I'm going to get the docking cradle. I can't wait till the MOST iPod adapter is out.

- While I think all the colors have their place, I'm glad I went with Monaco Blue. It is dark but it has a chameleon effect similar to Arctic, but not quite so dramatic. It does get dirty fast but I'm always cleaning it anyway.

- I think the field of view to the rear could be better. I'd like to get those Euro rear view mirrors installed.

- The blinkers really threw me off at first but now I like 'em.

- What's the deal with the glove box flashlights not always being there? Mine was absent so I had them send me one. But where are they all disappearing to? Is there some crazed BMW employee hoarding thousands of them somewhere with some bizarre plot in mind?

- I'm liking the mats and they're not sliding at all for me. I'll have to Scotch Guard them ASAP. I think I'll get a full set of the all-weather mats too just to be complete.

- Chrome exhaust tips are a no brainer. Just ordered a set. Still not sure if I'll go with blacklines. I'm 50/50.

- Just about an hour ago I narrowly avoided an accident that I'm sure most other cars wouldn't have been able to. It was like a BMW safety commercial. I was out and about just enjoying the ride after some cleaning. moving through an intersection at about 40mph a crappy car just ahead and to the left of me swerved violently to the right, right into me, almost. I had that flash of "OMG I can't believe this just happened. I just got this car, now it's going to have to go to the shop. Loaner car. Insurance. Oh no." run through my head as I reacted.

I swerving to the right and punched it to avoid the car to my right, slightly behind, which left me just about to hit the curb. I swerved back and the next thing I know I'm back on the path, and everything is fine. Like nothing happened. Hardly even a screech was heard. It's hard to imagine how close I came; Must have been centimeters. Anyway, the point is that this car really does what you want it to do naturally. Without breaking a sweat.

- I'm seeing a ton of E90s now in LA, especially in Santa Monica. All colors. It doesn't really bother me as I like the car. And I've only seen two E91s so far.

So that's just my random thoughts so far. Sorry for no pics yet, but when I do them, I want to do them right. And thanks so much to E90Post! It's honestly making the car that much better.
      05-14-2006, 04:20 PM   #2
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Jibber - Congrats!! Glad you reacted and missed that close call!! Very nice write up. Thanks for sharing with everyone. We need to see some nice photos!

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
dtelle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d Touring still in making..

so US drivers have found a new argument to drive a E91:

it is more exclusiv and rare that the E90...

I hope it is the last crazy car that your E91 will cross on the road!!
      05-14-2006, 10:01 PM   #4
Jibber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks guys.

A few more random thoughts:

- The U.S. front plate holder is a bit too much. I wish there was something a bit sleeker.

- I'm thinking of some change holding options. Hopefully I can find something that's not too cheesy.

- I want to buy the OEM alarm in large part just to make the clown nose functional.

- Are there any thin, high-quality license plate frames available? I'd even like something rubber that just wraps around the edges of the plate itself. Nothing cheap or plasticy.

- Trash! Again, any high-quality options available?
      05-14-2006, 10:41 PM   #5
ages944
Captain
Poland
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

you don't like the coin holder that comes with the car?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2006, 11:11 PM   #6
winnibago
Long Roof
United_States
Rep
Drives: Automobiles

Garage List
Jibber,

Congrats on the e91... I have yet to see another e91 on the road.. It's definitely not for everyone.. I take you get the name "jibber" from snowboarding? If so, its a large part of why I got mine. 3 hr drives, gear, snow, ice, safety and better-than-SUV gas mileage.

2006 E91 Msport "330xiT" ---- 2009 997.2 Launch ---- 2019 G05 Msport w/ 3rdRow
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2006, 11:12 PM   #7
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibber
- Oddly, the aluminum gear shift against Poplar doesn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would. It makes sense in it's own way, matching other interior items. Still, I'm going to get a Poplar one when I get a chance.
Well it does match the iDrive knob nicely so it's out out of place there.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2006, 11:15 PM   #8
KL2DC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 428i,E90 328i, E85 Z4 3.0i

Garage List
2015 F36 428i  [0.00]
2011 E90 328i  [0.00]
2006 E85 Z4 3.0i  [0.00]
Jibber: great review and congratulations!

Just want to bring up that Bimmian now carry color-coded/painted license plate holders (whole unit that is black in all e90s). This might be of interest to you. Check it out at: http://www.bimmian.com/NPH/90/1

Official DC Metro Registry - Current, New & Prospective Area Members Roll Call!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2006, 09:59 AM   #9
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Wonder when woodie I-drive knobs will become the rage?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2006, 09:35 PM   #10
Jibber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KL2DC
Jibber: great review and congratulations!

Just want to bring up that Bimmian now carry color-coded/painted license plate holders (whole unit that is black in all e90s). This might be of interest to you. Check it out at: http://www.bimmian.com/NPH/90/1
Thank you! That is indeed very interesting. At work this morning I was staring at my front plate trying to visualize that Bimmian mount. I'm sure people think I'm looney.
      05-15-2006, 09:41 PM   #11
Jibber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnibago
Jibber,

Congrats on the e91... I have yet to see another e91 on the road.. It's definitely not for everyone.. I take you get the name "jibber" from snowboarding? If so, its a large part of why I got mine. 3 hr drives, gear, snow, ice, safety and better-than-SUV gas mileage.
Thanks!

I'm actually not a snowboarder, but more-or-less I got a touring for the same reasons. I don't want to be compromised. My last vehicle was an SUV, as I chickened out of getting a wagon back then. The whole 4WD and bad MPG was a waste of money for me personally. Now I truly have the best of both worlds.

Btw what is a "Jibber?"
      05-15-2006, 09:45 PM   #12
Jibber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

BTW I'll get the pics as soon as I can. 1) I have a pretty decent camera but it's been hiding from me. 2) I swear this car is bringing good work luck because I've been seriously busy as soon as it arrived at the dealership. I was actually hoping things would be slow so I would have time to play with my new toy.
      05-15-2006, 09:55 PM   #13
winnibago
Long Roof
United_States
Rep
Drives: Automobiles

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibber
Thanks!

I'm actually not a snowboarder, but more-or-less I got a touring for the same reasons. I don't want to be compromised. My last vehicle was an SUV, as I chickened out of getting a wagon back then. The whole 4WD and bad MPG was a waste of money for me personally. Now I truly have the best of both worlds.

Btw what is a "Jibber?"
Good going... Snowboarder or Not, either way, you have great taste in cars I too have a gas guzzling beast from hell (lifted 5-spd, LR discovery, usually saved for extreme weather or 3+ passenger situations)

"Jibber" is a loosely used term to describe Snowboarders who like to hang out in the terrain parks, looking for any man-made or natural terrain feature to "jib" on.. (very common in lower altitude mountains such as Bear mtn, Mtn. High - which are close to L.A.)

"Jibbing" is synonymous with a dated term: "hot-dogging"

Either way... congrats again! and post some pics when you get a chance!

2006 E91 Msport "330xiT" ---- 2009 997.2 Launch ---- 2019 G05 Msport w/ 3rdRow
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2006, 12:17 AM   #14
Lost Rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: R NineT, X1

Garage List
2014 BMW R NineT  [0.00]
2015 X1 xdrive  [9.00]
Nice write up, glad could avoid that jerk in the other car.
I also love the exclusiveness of my E91, I've yet to see another E91 ever.
      05-16-2006, 10:48 PM   #15
Jibber
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTown
Nice write up, glad could avoid that jerk in the other car.
I also love the exclusiveness of my E91, I've yet to see another E91 ever.
Thanks ChiTown! Actually I'm still deciding but I have a feeling someday the rails will go. Maybe a Euro E91 owner will want them.

So I've seen three E91s so far in LA, one of them where I'm working ATM:

- Black (don't know which version.)
- SG
- TiAg