E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > The ultimate truth: clay and sealants

01-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

The ultimate truth: clay and sealants

I'm confused as I still don't have clear if clay does wipe away sealants (as Zaino or jetseal).

Probably discussed but I keep reading different versions
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Yes. Clay will remove all product from your paint.
      01-05-2009, 06:07 PM   #3
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
well that's that i guess
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 07:35 AM   #4
exceldetail
Rep
Drives: A gas hog

IMO, it "compromises" your protection. That meaning, it doesnt remove it but it certainly does take away a portion of it.
Of course you will find others who say it removes it all, and yet other will lend it doesnt hurt it.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 09:22 AM   #5
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by exceldetail View Post
IMO, it "compromises" your protection. That meaning, it doesnt remove it but it certainly does take away a portion of it.
Of course you will find others who say it removes it all, and yet other will lend it doesnt hurt it.
I'd have to agree. I've done a couple tests and found that some products will still bead and hold up after using a clay bar. The more contamination on the paint, the more of the protection you'll remove as the grit can easily cut away at the protection. It certainly will remove loose or weak protection if it has already spent some time on the vehicle.

George
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #6
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

also the type of clay.. it will lift debri b/c it is sticking out above the clear coat..granted the lsp's are also but what would be easier to pick up dirt or a sealant that has bonded with the clear..the dirt so yes you will have some of the lsp removed but not all..

it is gliding over the sealant picking it up slowly but if you take the dirt off and move on after only 3-5 swipes then how do you expect it to remove something like a sealant of a hybrid wax that bonds with the paint.. when i have clayed it still beads after..maybe not as good but it does..i would say the difference between a clay like cg blue and the more aggressive cg gray clay is very big..and as such it will remove more sealant...

in the end it is all type of clay and lube, pressure and how many passes. is it possible to remove it all yes is it likly no..

reason i deffinitely know this is true is the very first time i clayed a car i was told i didn't need a cleaner after..i had major bonding issues with zymol concourse i never had when i used hd cleanse (which i now prefer swissvax cleaner fluid by a huge margin)....sure enough i had a bonding issue.. i did a test spot and used hd cleanse on the same panel after and applied the wax the same way and it worked perfectly..i was using zymol clay and lube.

can you do it with clay yes it is possible but it takes too long and using a cleaner adds oils to the paint at least one like swissvax cleaner fluid does..why do something half assed anyways? i now clay cleaner fluid jetseal 109 then usually a swissvax wax on top and i get awesome protection for over 4 months easy and at 6 still have nice beads.
Appreciate 0