E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Good Deal?? (UK)

05-13-2006, 07:10 PM   #1
BMW to BMW
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Exclamation Good Deal?? (UK)

Hi Guys,

I am new to this forum, so Hi!!!

I was wondering if I have got a good deal...please could you advise me...

I am buying a new and factory order 325i SE...
The 'On The Road' List Price of the car is £34,015

I am part exchanging a 1999 T registered BMW 323i SE
-Manual
-Metallic -> Steel Blue
-Leather -> Dove Grey
-Wood Trim -> Poplar
-Automatic Air Conditioning, with pollen filters and air recirculation
-Multifunction Steering Wheel
-Electric Lumbar Support
-CD Changer (6 Disc)

----59,300 miles --- Mint Condition ---Full BMW Service History --- Just had oil service, MOT and Taxed for 10 months....

The Deal I have got so far is a £25100 changeover cost...

The Price on the new car is £31,040 on the road

The Price on my part exchange is £5,940

Is this a good deal...??? Can I do any better??? How much is the dealer making out of me????

Thanks for your help...I need to make a decision on this asap!!

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2006, 07:13 PM   #2
shimshimhada
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portal

Is the "On The Road" List price the same thing as MSRP?

Do you UK folks have an edmunds.com kind of tool that lets you know the invoice prices?
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
BMW to BMW
Private
Rep

Hi,

The On The Road List Price is the price of the car in the brochure + options and including the Road Tax (Road Fund License - 12 months), Delivery, Fuel and First Registration Fee...

I don't think we have anything like edmunds.com (although I may be wrong) it would definately help to know what the dealer profit percentage or amount was on a car when it came to making a deal!!

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2006, 10:31 AM   #4
thebigman
Private First Class
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E90 320d SE

If it was me, I'd buy a year old M3 for that kinda money.

Good luck tho, the E90 is a cracking car
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2006, 12:34 PM   #5
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
thats a lot of cash i would try getting rid of your car first in the autotrader or something u low miles so its about 7 years old so u been doing 8k a year thats good someone should buy it, give it a good wash and stick it in, u never know,whats £40 if u get 3k back or more stick it in for £7500, on the bmw site i seen used cars at 06 plates for £30000 330i sports some at £32000 330d 05 sports more spec than se, or u get a better deal buy right out, just think i lot of cash good bye, least a few month old one has blew its money, have a look around
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2006, 04:28 PM   #6
DonnyGirl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 325 SE + sports susp SG

Thumbs down

Its not clear what options you are going for, but it looks a pretty strange deal to me. Unless you are talking about the E92 Coupe. I negotiated my E90 325SE, Metalic, Leather seats, sports suspension, folding mirrors, sports steering wheel, High Gloss, Hi Fi Speakers and 5 Year Service& Maintenance for £29K On the Road price, from COOPERs in Banstead I took the quote from What car with me, basically got £1600 off their 'On Road Price', but not a particlarly great deal for my old 15 year old E30. The £31K quoted price looks like a 330 or 325 M E90 Sport with options to me, even for the E92 Coupe, I would expect a 330i.

Last edited by DonnyGirl; 05-14-2006 at 04:40 PM.. Reason: realisatio
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2006, 05:32 PM   #7
BMW to BMW
Private
Rep

Exclamation

Hi,

Thanks for all your advice so far...I hope this extra information will help...

The car I am ordering is a new and factory order E90 325i SE.

The invoice list looks like this:

E90 325i SE £25055
Metallic Paint £ 535
Dakota Leather £ 1220
Star Spoke Alloys Style 159 £ 225
Automatic Gearbox £ 1490
Electric Folding Exterior Mirrors £ 165
Comfort Access £ 430
Floor Mats £ 75
Electric Front Seats + Driver Memory £ 890
Lumbar Support - Front Seats £ 205
Burr Walnut Wood Trim £ 300
Professional Navigation System £ 1970
BMW Assist £ 0
Voice Control System £ 0
Bluetooth Phone + Telematics £ 535
Anthracite Headlining £ 135
-----------------------------------------------------------------

+ RFL, Delivery, Fuel and First Registration Fees £845

TOTAL £34015

My car is in 'Glass' Guide' for £5140....I also thought this was very low for my car and I was expecting it to be around the £7500-£8000 mark easily....

The way the deal is being broken down is £31040 for the E90 and £5940 for my trade in, thus the £25100 changeover cost...

I would really appreciate any further input that you all have.

Thanks for your time and help!!

Last edited by BMW to BMW; 05-15-2006 at 01:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2006, 05:48 AM   #8
Dangerous Al
Enlisted Member
England
Rep
Drives: E90 320i SE

Hi, First thing, get a quote from the internet, best deals I found were at http://www.onlinecarslimited.com.

This worked out at around 8% off list. I then went to my local dealer and used this to get the best deal I could out of him. I ended up with just over 7% off list including the extras. If you are getting around 7% or better off list then you are doing OK. If you are getting less than 7%, argue for more or go somewhere else.

The on the road price on your car 325SE with Auto box is £27,305 without any extras. I priced it up with your options and it comes to £33,990 on the road. Your price of £31,040 is therefore a discount of £2,950 or 8.6% which I would say is a very good deal and as cheap as is available on the internet. That is a lot of extras though, are you sure you can't live without some of them?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2006, 08:21 AM   #9
330m
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 330i

BMW to BMW,

Take it in 2 parts:

First concentrate on the price for the new car, forget your Px for the time being. Using a 'drive the deal.com' printed quote (which gave 7% off OTR inc VAT on all E90's) I managed to easily get 8% off a new 330i M Sport in January 06 from Williams manchester.

Then once you've got that price in writing, start bargaining with your trade in. Treat the two separately, you can always sell yours privately before the new car turns up if a better offer comes along. I also got them to come down on the finance APR closer to loans I had been offered elsewhere.

Then keep pushing on your Px. I got £500 over book for my trade in. Just don't give in and don't believe their BS. (if you have a trade contact with a glass's price guide, that's very helpful so you can know the figures they are playing with on your Px)
      05-15-2006, 08:26 AM   #10
330m
First Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigman
If it was me, I'd buy a year old M3 for that kinda money.

Good luck tho, the E90 is a cracking car

I thought the same until I couldn't get insurance for less than £4000 for an M3.

The E90 330i suddenly became very appealing. (£800 ins). And it's a huge leap foward in drive and feel over the old E46 330's

'new 330i - Close to Greatness....' as EVO magazine said!
      05-15-2006, 08:41 AM   #11
DWUK
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330d Sport Auto

I agree with Dangerous Al..........anything above 8% is pretty decent in my opinion - I think the dealer margins are only about 7%!

I pushed like silly on mine and got about 8.8% off the car, but there was lots of fiddling, ie tell them to drop the mats in for free, as they are dealer fit, the dealership could easily rustle some up from the back - hey it saves you £75!
Timing of the buy is sooooo important - some dealers are keen to meet targets (for their bonuses), bought mine at end of the 1st qtr, just after the 06 plate rush.........so got not only a good deal I also got the car on an 06 plate. You could try and "revisit the dealer mid June"

Agreed with the "price it up on the Internet" thing as well, did just that, and the web could either just match or only slightly beat the quote from my dealer, of course I went with the dealer............got a golf umbrella, touch up paint kit, my mats, champagne and a FULL tank of gas (not the lets just top it up with £45 excuse) thrown in as well, talk about timing!

The only other way you could do it, bargaining wise, I heartily agree on the "do you need all those options" comment........why don't you get the dealer to scower the network and see if they can find you a model thats already built. This gives you a better bargaining position not only on the fact that the car is ready and the dealer can turn the thing around asap (hits his/her target sooner) BUT you could get more for your part ex - well it is a 8/12 week build cycle.

Just my thoughts.............
But honestly - for a custom build car, the discount your getting is pretty good in my opinion.

Best of luck with the search..........you'll love the car for sure
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2006, 03:20 PM   #12
DonnyGirl
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 325 SE + sports susp SG

Wow that really is a stack load of options, on a 325 SE. Just remember than in three or four years time it will be viewed by dealers just as a 325 SE with some attractive options. So its really going to depreciate hard. I guess you really have to believe in all those options, and not worried by depreciation. I just wonder about whether the BMW Prof Nav system is going to look very attractive in 5 years time. It could look pretty dated, unless BMW are going to provide hardware and software upgrades. Electric seats ? - I guess if you have multiple drivers.
But its your choice, and a 'good deal' at 8% off list price. Personally I would drop some of those options and go for either a 330i SE, or M Sport version, or the new Coupe version. Personally I thought the 5 year Service/ Maintenance was good option.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2006, 05:59 PM   #13
BMW to BMW
Private
Rep

Hi,

Firstly thank you for all of your help on this!! It is much appreciated!!!

I agree I have really stacked the car with options...the reason I have gone for the 325i SE is that it really does do everything I need it to do performance wise and is the sensible choice with regards to insurance and fuel economy etc.

To be honest, you can see that my previous car was not too heavily speced, and that was fine. However I recently bought a Jaguar and that has well and truly spoilt me into the luxury of motoring!! Also I must admit I am no longer the young chap I once was and comfort features such as electric seats and lumbar support really do suit my lifestyle and age now!! Things like the Professional navigation unit are in my opinion a waste of money for me. I already have a fantastic navigation system in my Jaguar and can't see why I need one in the second car...although my wife doesn't feel the same way and thus it is there!! However seeing as I have to put the Navigation on...I feel that the Professional one offers the best deal for me...if I had bought the Business version, I would have had to have added a CD Changer to allow me to play CD's in the car and thus this would have brought the cost up to the same as the Professional version which comes bundle in my case with Voice control, BMW Assist and a better navigation system with larger display.

Although I know a lot has been added to the car, I think I will enjoy it all the more for it!!

Having taken all of your advice and having reviewed the deal, I have decided to go ahead and placed the order today!!!

The part exchange value is actually fairly good, as the Glass' Guide does state that the car is worth £5140, and they have offered me £5940, which is £800 over book and seems fair to be honest!!

All in all I am very happy, and grateful for all your advice!!

Thanks
Appreciate 0