SomeClown
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 XDrive45e

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 45E  [0.00]
Preconditioning - Unreliable App

Is there any way to precondition my 45e besides using the MyBMW App on my phone? I ask because it seems like every other time I want to use the App the servers are down and can't send the request to my vehicle.

Overall, I'm over the moon with this car. In this one aspect, however, it feels like a step backward. We got buried with snow overnight and now I have to go sit in the car to precondition it while my wife, with her much less expensive vehicle, simply remote starts and waits in the house for it to warm up.

I hope I'm missing something and there's a better way.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 07:29 PM   #2
Mattl0806
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Garage List
2022 x5 m50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeClown View Post
Is there any way to precondition my 45e besides using the MyBMW App on my phone? I ask because it seems like every other time I want to use the App the servers are down and can't send the request to my vehicle.

Overall, I'm over the moon with this car. In this one aspect, however, it feels like a step backward. We got buried with snow overnight and now I have to go sit in the car to precondition it while my wife, with her much less expensive vehicle, simply remote starts and waits in the house for it to warm up.

I don't have an answer to your preconditioning, but couldn't you have started it up and went back inside with your wife rather than sit in the cold car? I guess once you're out there it's a sunk cost
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 07:37 PM   #3
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Is the server, or is it the cellular connection?

A nice addition might be to put a WiFi client in the vehicle that could be used when the cellular was marginal. It would let it also get map and other firmware updates directly, rather than through the phone as is done today on OTA updates.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 10:57 PM   #4
volodp
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep
Drives: 2021 G05 45e, 2022 iX40

Quote:
You know you can also use (or set) a button on your vehicle key for that, right (if your vehicle is within the reach, of course)? Other than that I don't think there are any ways. It's either the app, the key or preprogrammed preconditioning which you can set from the vehicle before you leave it.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 10:58 PM   #5
mad villain
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
If you are close by you can press the lock button on your key 3 times and it should start
FiatLux11.50
      11-30-2022, 11:44 PM   #6
FiatLux
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 535i, X5 M50i

Also, if you haven't done so, remote start needs to be enabled on the car in order to use it via key fob or the app.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2022, 11:54 PM   #7
SomeClown
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 45E  [0.00]
I'll have to look into these suggestions, but, as far as I'm aware, the 45e is very different in this regard. For instance, the preconditioning happens from the battery system and not from the engine. So, to heat or cool the car you don't start the engine at all. And, as far as I know there is no way to remote start the engine.

Additionally, I looked in the menu of the car and found the place to do something with the key fob and there is no option to assign a button or anything to do with preconditioning... just several options for the back trunk lids, top and bottom.

I can assign preconditioning to start on a schedule, but I don't have a regular schedule so that's not useful. When the app is working and can communicate with the car, life is good. Right now, however, the last status update I have from the car is the afternoon on the 29th. When the app is working, I always get an alert when I plug the car in and when it's done charging, so I know something is wonky.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 12:20 AM   #8
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

Try resetting iDrive by holding down the volume button (about 30-seconds) until it reboots and see what happens. Just like your computer once in a while needs a reboot, your X5 can benefit from one as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 04:57 AM   #9
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by volodp View Post
Quote:
You know you can also use (or set) a button on your vehicle key for that, right (if your vehicle is within the reach, of course)? Other than that I don't think there are any ways. It's either the app, the key or preprogrammed preconditioning which you can set from the vehicle before you leave it.
no, not the U.S. our key fobs don't have the programmable DIAMOND button that EU-spec 45e have. we have the alarm PANIC button in lieu of that which cannot be reprogrammed

the OP already mentioned that scheduled preconditioning won't help him because his schedule isn't regular.
Appreciate 2
volodp199.50
      12-01-2022, 04:59 AM   #10
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiatLux View Post
Also, if you haven't done so, remote start needs to be enabled on the car in order to use it via key fob or the app.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad villain View Post
If you are close by you can press the lock button on your key 3 times and it should start
this is both incorrect information. the 45e doesn't have Remote Start. that feature is found on ICE-only variants. the 45e is a PHEV and designed not to idle an engine
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2022, 05:16 AM   #11
Trek4ward
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

My app has been wonky lately too. Took me forever to finally get a change to my climate schedule to the car the other day. The app gives no indication there is a "server" issue, but I'd have to believe that would be the only explanation as I had a strong cell signal and the car was 30 feet from me.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 05:43 AM   #12
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

this issue has been reported by many over the past few weeks. (search for multiple threads)

can try:
telematics reboot
update apps and services
double check Data Privacy settings
restart phone
logout, login MyBMW app
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 07:21 AM   #13
volodp
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
no, not the U.S. our key fobs don't have the DIAMOND button that EU-spec 45e have. we have the alarm PANIC button in lieu of that which cannot be reprogrammed
Ah, OK, didn't realize that. I was wrong then.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4726.50
      12-01-2022, 09:28 AM   #14
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by volodp View Post
Quote:
no, not the U.S. our key fobs don't have the DIAMOND button that EU-spec 45e have. we have the alarm PANIC button in lieu of that which cannot be reprogrammed
Ah, OK, didn't realize that. I was wrong then.
personally, i would love to be able to program preconditioning on my fob. do you use it often?
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 09:56 AM   #15
11001X101
Captain
Rep
Drives: 10101X101

I didn't know the 45e doesn't do engine start. Does preconditioning without engine on even cool/heat the car up enough? On a different note, the GLEs do not have that feature to start from fob and if started with app, the car will shut off when door is opened. Interesting enough, their owners don't seem to mind at all.
Hope the OP gets it ironed out. I've never had issue with the app or fob remote start.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 10:02 AM   #16
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10101X5 View Post
I didn't know the 45e doesn't do engine start. Does preconditioning without engine on even cool/heat the car up enough? On a different note, the GLEs do not have that feature to start from fob and if started with app, the car will shut off when door is opened. Interesting enough, their owners don't seem to mind at all.
Hope the OP gets it ironed out. I've never had issue with the app or fob remote start.
it heats/cools very well! i use it at least twice a day all year round (scheduled before morning commute and ad hoc when leaving work since my departure times vary). on the 45e, HVAC is completely powered by the high voltage battery. the prerequisite is it has to have enough charge available as it runs for 30 minutes
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 11:32 AM   #17
LOFT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

It's sub-optimal because you have to go out into cold, but while my BMW app on my phone was down for three weeks, I activated pre-conditioning by the touch screen in the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 11:46 AM   #18
SomeClown
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5 45E  [0.00]
Quote:
this issue has been reported by many over the past few weeks. (search for multiple threads)

can try:
telematics reboot
update apps and services
double check Data Privacy settings
restart phone
logout, login MyBMW app
I will run through this list, thanks. I've done the telematics reboot and that didn't do anything. And the phone isn't the issue because the MyBMW app in the car can't load anything (trips, destinations). Discovered that the News app hasn't pulled news since the same time as everything stopped working, so it's definitely something on either the car or server side (e.g.; not the phone).

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll keep poking at it.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4726.50
      12-01-2022, 12:20 PM   #19
volodp
Second Lieutenant
Czech_Republic
Rep

Quote:
personally, i would love to be able to program preconditioning on my fob. do you use it often?
LOL. Not at all. I have the schedule set for the working days and use the app in all other cases. My problem with the button on the remote is that it doesn't give you any feedback. You assume it works. I tried a few times and it worked but don't have a real case for using it.
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4726.50
      12-01-2022, 12:32 PM   #20
mad villain
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
this is both incorrect information. the 45e doesn't have Remote Start. that feature is found on ICE-only variants. the 45e is a PHEV and designed not to idle an engine
Interesting didn't know it was different for ICE vs PHEV
nZtiZia4726.50
      12-01-2022, 12:36 PM   #21
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mad villain View Post
Interesting didn't know it was different for ICE vs PHEV
preconditioning has some advantages:
- some countries forbid engine idling, so preconditioning allows PHEV/EV owners to heat/cool the interior in those countries since it doesn't require the engine to run.
- it can also be done in enclosed spaces without fear of CO buildup.
- it runs for 30 mins vs Remote Start's 15-minute run time. AFAIK, it doesn't have the '3 strikes and you're out' stipulation that RS does, either
Appreciate 2
      12-01-2022, 02:43 PM   #22
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep

All HVAC functions in the PHEV are electrical...engine heat nor a/c compressor are run off of the engine, only the batteries.
Appreciate 0