BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Hybrid Audio, Morel, or Helix?

11-30-2022, 08:47 AM   #1
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M5C

Hybrid Audio, Morel, or Helix?

I've been out of the custom audio world for about two decades now, but found a local shop that does great work that I'm going to have put in a 10" sub and amp for starters in my trunk. We've also discussed having custom pillar enclosures made for new midranges, and adding a DSP.

What I'm curious about, is the three brands I listed in the post title -- Hybrid Audio (Legatio line), Morel, and Helix/Match -- are those considered high end brands these days? I could care less about loudness, I'm completely after nothing but sound quality. The shop is recommending I go with a HA Legatio sub and Helix/Match amp/DSP, and eventually Legatio mids/tweeters up front in the custom pillar enclosures (that was my choice over trying to make them fit in the door midrange slots).

They have some of their work available for viewing on their site: The Car Audio Shop

Side note: they also recommended Bavsound as a great drop in replacement for the stock speakers and said they do installs with them often for folks who don't want to go the custom route. I'm going to have them install my Bavsound Ghost subs when they do the 10" sub in the trunk. He said they basically act as great low-end midranges since the midranges in the doors are too small to get good low end.

edit -- they'll install anything you want, those are just the brands they're licensed dealers for and recommend

Last edited by omgmike; 11-30-2022 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2022, 07:20 PM   #2
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

PM me about audio. I'm a car audio competitor and former national champion, and part owner in a speaker manufacturing company. I'll be glad to chat.
Appreciate 1
omgmike359.00
      12-02-2022, 12:01 PM   #3
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
PM me about audio. I'm a car audio competitor and former national champion, and part owner in a speaker manufacturing company. I'll be glad to chat.
done!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 12:08 PM   #4
michaelbuzby
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp 2022 M5 2023 M3

I have the Morel and they will be installed mid-January. They will be replacing the Bowers and Wilkins.
Appreciate 2
omgmike359.00
BMW3DK35.00
      12-24-2022, 01:17 PM   #5
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelbuzby View Post
I have the Morel and they will be installed mid-January. They will be replacing the Bowers and Wilkins.
Are you having any custom work done or is it play and play in the stock locations?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2023, 01:40 PM   #6
michaelbuzby
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M Comp 2022 M5 2023 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgmike View Post
Are you having any custom work done or is it play and play in the stock locations?
Sorry for the delay in replying. Was in Hawaii.

All plug and play at this time.

Plan on adding 8channel amp, larger sub. It will be a Class A/B amp. As they are much larger than Class D amps, problem is space for the amp.

Speakers go in on Thursday. I'll be sure to post pics post install.
Appreciate 2