BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-20-2022, 05:12 PM   #1
casperM4
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

How to clean evaporator in X5

6 months after service center replaced and cleaned the AC, the vinegar smell came back. Not sure why I keep having this issue, the first incident occurred a year after purchase (brand new 2021) and I had to take it in and paid $500 for cabin air filter replacement and evaporator cleaning.

Now it is happening again and I don't want to spend another $500 or planning to DIY. I did something similar on a Tesla and it was easy enough, basically just spray Kool-It foam into the slot where air filters are.

I'm not sure if it's similar for BMW, especially in G05. No luck so far with google search. If anyone has info on this, please let me know. TIA
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 12:15 AM   #2
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

https://www.bmwx5info.com/cleaning_evaporator-2377.html
This may help
Appreciate 1
nZtiZia4725.00
      12-05-2022, 09:30 AM   #3
chefwong
Major
Rep
Drives: X5

Do you run you AC -alot-
If you are running the AC alot and if the weather allows to just turn off the ac but leave fan on....the last 2 miles/few minutes en route to home to allow the system to dry out some and not have residual condensate. The vindegar smell is mildew/mold....
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 04:23 PM   #4
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
i have this issue, too. after 2 years of operation, it's been more consistent with AC use (we've had a mild winter so AC was still in use up until about a week ago). i'll see if they can add the cleaning to my yearly maintenance i already have scheduled next week.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2022, 04:51 PM   #5
chefwong
Major
Rep

casper/nti. Just buy a can of this and give it a go

https://www.amazon.com/nextzett-9611...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

It's a well respected brand. I use their stuff ...some are decades old favorites.
Appreciate 2
nZtiZia4725.00
1230vani660.00
      12-05-2022, 05:48 PM   #6
Fifthtoe
Private
Rep
Drives: X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefwong View Post
Do you run you AC -alot-
If you are running the AC alot and if the weather allows to just turn off the ac but leave fan on....the last 2 miles/few minutes en route to home to allow the system to dry out some and not have residual condensate. The vindegar smell is mildew/mold....
I've been doing this on my cars for the last 25 years and it helps a lot!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 03:36 PM   #7
Mixelplux
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by casperM4 View Post
6 months after service center replaced and cleaned the AC, the vinegar smell came back. Not sure why I keep having this issue, the first incident occurred a year after purchase (brand new 2021) and I had to take it in and paid $500 for cabin air filter replacement and evaporator cleaning.

Now it is happening again and I don't want to spend another $500 or planning to DIY. I did something similar on a Tesla and it was easy enough, basically just spray Kool-It foam into the slot where air filters are.

I'm not sure if it's similar for BMW, especially in G05. No luck so far with google search. If anyone has info on this, please let me know. TIA

Were you successfully able to clear this up?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2023, 03:47 PM   #8
Lionel Hutz
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 X5 50e

On my Tesla, I was able to manage this smell by cranking temp and blower speed to the absolute max and letting it run for 20-30 minutes. Baking out the smell/bacteria seemed to work as well if not better than using the system cleaner sprays.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2023, 03:00 PM   #9
chefwong
Major
Rep

Cranking up the heat *post* issue doesn't really bake it out....

Black mould/mildew, whatever you wanna call is grows/builds up in wet dark conditions....which happens if you just turn off the AC and then park the car....

It needs to dry out before then..to prevent the growth in the 1st place
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:11 AM   #10
Big_CG
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5

Has anyone done this recently? I popped the side carpet panel off and the little plastic panel under the steering wheel off to have a look. I noticed there is a yellow removable cap on the driver side of the evaporator. I am wondering if that is where to insert the klima cleaner foam to clean the evaporator.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 07:56 AM   #11
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
There is so much crazy going on here that it's tough for me to wrap my head around.

First off, cabin air filter replacement is a diy job. It's a 10-20$ part on Amazon.

Secondly, you don't clean inside the evaporator, it's full of refridgerant and is a sealed system. You MIGHT one day need to clean the evaporator coils, but no G05 is old enough for that to be reasonable.

The evaporator will sweat onto a pan that will have a drain tube coming out of it. If you run your ac you should see a little.puddle under your car, maybe less in less humid areas, but here in FL it's a sizable puddle in the couple minutes it takes to get out the door after remote starting. If you don't have a puddle, might have a blocked tube that needs cleaned, bugs and stuff tend to like to crawl up in them.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:28 PM   #12
Mixelplux
Private
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkGS View Post
There is so much crazy going on here that it's tough for me to wrap my head around.

First off, cabin air filter replacement is a diy job. It's a 10-20$ part on Amazon.

Secondly, you don't clean inside the evaporator, it's full of refridgerant and is a sealed system. You MIGHT one day need to clean the evaporator coils, but no G05 is old enough for that to be reasonable.

The evaporator will sweat onto a pan that will have a drain tube coming out of it. If you run your ac you should see a little.puddle under your car, maybe less in less humid areas, but here in FL it's a sizable puddle in the couple minutes it takes to get out the door after remote starting. If you don't have a puddle, might have a blocked tube that needs cleaned, bugs and stuff tend to like to crawl up in them.
Cabin filter replacement didn't fix ..
Appreciate 0
      Today, 05:38 PM   #13
BlkGS
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M50i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mixelplux View Post
Cabin filter replacement didn't fix ..
Are the moonroof drains clean? Just like the evaporator drain those can get clogged too.
Appreciate 0