BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 5-Series (G30) Forum Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain, Tuning Modifications Safety of Stage 1 Tune on '19 540

11-14-2022, 04:46 PM   #1
rmassena
Rep
Drives: BMW 540i xDrive

Safety of Stage 1 Tune on '19 540

Looking to tune my 2019 540 and just wondering how safe using many of the OTS tunes are, specifically referring to engine longevity. Also, I'm assuming my best bet is BM3 or MHD correct?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 06:07 AM   #2
540iSUP
Captain
Rep
Drives: G30, E36

Stage 1 OTS tunes are made to be safe. You'll be ok. MHD and BM3 are the more popular platforms although there are more.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 05:01 PM   #3
BWilson263
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i - 2020 X5 40i

I'm running a OTS BM3 stage 2 tune for over 6-7 months on my 2019 540. You should be fine. Many here have been running stage1 OTS for quite some time with zero problems.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2022, 05:29 PM   #4
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Same here. Have been on BM stage 2 and XHP Stage 3 (on my 2018 540i) for over two years with zero issues so far.
      11-16-2022, 08:37 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

All off-the-shelf maps are safe as long as you are using the correct map for your mods and fuel.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 09:34 PM   #6
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
This mod still intrigues me (stage 1 tune). Do you guys feel like it adds to the everyday driving experience? I'm not out drag racing or anything.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 04:11 PM   #7
DBO
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: G30 540i SDrive (MPPSK+Mods)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
This mod still intrigues me (stage 1 tune). Do you guys feel like it adds to the everyday driving experience? I'm not out drag racing or anything.
If you're at all curious about the tunes, then the answer is absolutely YES - it's worth it. It's so easy to do and adds a lot of enjoyment to the overall driving experience. I don't drag race either - my daily commute is downright boring and slow (in fact the avg speed showing in my trip computer at present is ~27mph because of traffic), but the car is so much more responsive with the tune. it's so nice to have that reserve power underfoot, even if only for occasional use.

The only frustration is that you rarely get to use the added power and it encourages me to drive the car faster a lot more than I should. Unfortunately the authorities here have lost all sense of humor when it comes to speeding and I constantly gnash my teeth dreaming of an autobahn, or thinking 'man, I really shouldn't have done that'. Regardless, I wouldn't want the car without the tune now. Even Stage 2 is really quite mild in the scheme of things i.e. you can still have that quiet luxury cruiser in comfort mode, or that added performance and burble in Sport - all without sacrificing reasonable economy (i.e. currently running avg 30mpg). I know the car is now coming into that age where I really should start looking for the next ride, but I'm honestly struggling to find anything I want more right now.

Not a big cost - buy a Stage 1 and see how you like it. You can always undo the change in a matter of minutes. I bet though like most who have gone that path, you'll swing the other way and go (hmm.. wonder if Stage 2 is worth it )
      11-17-2022, 05:06 PM   #8
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
If you're at all curious about the tunes, then the answer is absolutely YES - it's worth it. It's so easy to do and adds a lot of enjoyment to the overall driving experience. I don't drag race either - my daily commute is downright boring and slow (in fact the avg speed showing in my trip computer at present is ~27mph because of traffic), but the car is so much more responsive with the tune. it's so nice to have that reserve power underfoot, even if only for occasional use.

The only frustration is that you rarely get to use the added power and it encourages me to drive the car faster a lot more than I should. Unfortunately the authorities here have lost all sense of humor when it comes to speeding and I constantly gnash my teeth dreaming of an autobahn, or thinking 'man, I really shouldn't have done that'. Regardless, I wouldn't want the car without the tune now. Even Stage 2 is really quite mild in the scheme of things i.e. you can still have that quiet luxury cruiser in comfort mode, or that added performance and burble in Sport - all without sacrificing reasonable economy (i.e. currently running avg 30mpg). I know the car is now coming into that age where I really should start looking for the next ride, but I'm honestly struggling to find anything I want more right now.

Not a big cost - buy a Stage 1 and see how you like it. You can always undo the change in a matter of minutes. I bet though like most who have gone that path, you'll swing the other way and go (hmm.. wonder if Stage 2 is worth it )
I think I'll probably do it. But I'm under CPO until next October. I'll just wait til then, just in case. I'd be pissed if I pulled the trigger early and then needed the warranty.

I'll have had it two years. It will be like getting a new car. Like my own little personal LCI modification.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 0