BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Fitting facelift digital dash into pre facelift

11-12-2022, 10:20 AM   #1
K33VRN
Rep
Drives: M5 Stage 1

Fitting facelift digital dash into pre facelift

Hi guys,

Is the newer facelift digital cockpit screen available to go in a 2018 M5 pretty easy?

Attached is what I have vs what I want to get. Just didn't know if doable easily enough?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-12-2022, 11:15 AM   #2
m_fife
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by K33VRN View Post
Hi guys,

Is the newer facelift digital cockpit screen available to go in a 2018 M5 pretty easy?

Attached is what I have vs what I want to get. Just didn't know if doable easily enough?
It is part of the iDrive 7 system. You will more than likely need to retrofit the entire system. Not sure if it has been done before.
      11-12-2022, 11:25 AM   #3
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_fife View Post
Quote:
Hi guys,

It is part of the iDrive 7 system. You will more than likely need to retrofit the entire system. Not sure if it has been done before.
Agreed — yes, you'd have to retrofit the whole thing. As I'm sure you know, the dial bezels are physical in the older system despite being a screen behind them, whereas the newer iDrive lacks physical dial bezels and is entirely screen.
      11-29-2022, 05:14 AM   #4
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys,

Agreed — yes, you'd have to retrofit the whole thing. As I'm sure you know, the dial bezels are physical in the older system despite being a screen behind them, whereas the newer iDrive lacks physical dial bezels and is entirely screen.
I understand the problem with upgrading the iDrive system due to the presence of the physical dials, but I wonder why BMW does not configure the the hardware in such a way that allows cars to be upgraded to the latest iDrive. For example why should a car with iDrive 7 not be able to be upgraded to iDrive 8 functionality? The different shapes of the screens should not be a factor.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2022, 05:25 AM   #5
m_fife
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Hi guys,

I understand the problem with upgrading the iDrive system due to the presence of the physical dials, but I wonder why BMW does not configure the the hardware in such a way that allows cars to be upgraded to the latest iDrive. For example why should a car with iDrive 7 not be able to be upgraded to iDrive 8 functionality? The different shapes of the screens should not be a factor.
As a carrot for people to buy new cars.