BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

11-10-2022, 08:16 PM   #1
fadi17
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Will X5 iDrive50e lose its gear shift knob?

Hey everyone,

I am debating whether to buy a MY23 45e now or wait for the redesigned MY24 50e. I'm on the list for MY24. But a 45e became available at my dealership that's nearly identical to the specs I want.

There are some things about the current design that I love and would hate to lose.

The advantage of buying the 45e now is getting something I like with the $7500 tax credit. But I also don't want to miss out on a refreshed design and better performance (and hopefully higher battery capacity/range/charging time).

My question is: Any idea if we'll lose the shift gear knob with iDrive 8? I do not like the one on the X7. That may be a deal breaker for me.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2022, 08:25 PM   #2
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadi17 View Post
Hey everyone,

I am debating whether to buy a MY23 45e now or wait for the redesigned MY24 50e. I'm on the list for MY24. But a 45e became available at my dealership that's nearly identical to the specs I want.

There are some things about the current design that I love and would hate to lose.

The advantage of buying the 45e now is getting something I like with the $7500 tax credit. But I also don't want to miss out on a refreshed design and better performance (and hopefully higher battery capacity/range/charging time).

My question is: Any idea if we'll lose the shift gear knob with iDrive 8? I do not like the one on the X7. That may be a deal breaker for me.
My guess is that the lci 8 will have the little nub . It is part of the design language .

What other current cars have I drive 8 to check my theory .

M2 is an outlier because it is an M.

Look at the x1
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 08:25 PM   #3
jiggie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

I don't think anybody's gonna have the answer to that until we get closer to the official announcement.
Appreciate 1
swainbmw525.50
      11-10-2022, 08:43 PM   #4
ST3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

A bird in the hand…

My logic might not match yours so take this as where my head is at on this topic:

If you need a vehicle in the next few months grab the one that's available to you. So many variables/unknowns exist at this point on the LCI including availability.

If you don't need vehicle soon then the LCI with faster charging and more power is tough to pass up. The styling changes seem to be pretty moderate and have pro/con = new screens and capabilities with loss of physical buttons, etc.
Appreciate 2
      11-10-2022, 09:26 PM   #5
fadi17
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST3 View Post
A bird in the hand…

My logic might not match yours so take this as where my head is at on this topic:

If you need a vehicle in the next few months grab the one that's available to you. So many variables/unknowns exist at this point on the LCI including availability.

If you don't need vehicle soon then the LCI with faster charging and more power is tough to pass up. The styling changes seem to be pretty moderate and have pro/con = new screens and capabilities with loss of physical buttons, etc.
Frankly I can wait. And I can live with iDrive 8. But to me the big glass gear shift knob is the best thing about the interior. I'd be extremely disappointed if they get rid of it.
Appreciate 1
thereef5101169.00
      11-10-2022, 09:34 PM   #6
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

With inflation, there COULD be a pretty significant price increase with the next MY...then, the loss of the federal tax credit can make the jump even more. We won't know for a while.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 09:37 PM   #7
mmm50i
Captain
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 M50i & '23 Model Y

It'll very likely be like the one in the LCI X7...
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2022, 10:08 PM   #8
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Frankly I can wait. And I can live with iDrive 8. But to me the big glass gear shift knob is the best thing about the interior. I'd be extremely disappointed if they get rid of it.
As mentioned by others, it will be gone as that is the current design.

Some good advice by ST3, the only thing I would add is if cost is a factor and you somehow could get one this year that would be helpful. The 50e range will be similar but it should have faster charging and higher HP.
      11-11-2022, 01:58 AM   #9
1230vani
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G05 40i LCI

So I often shift to DS before I make a sharper turns as it revs up a bit and sort of brakes with the engine, after a turn i shift back to D. Will this be possible with the new system? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 06:04 AM   #10
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Are you eligible for tax credit? I thought they were history at this point?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 06:24 AM   #11
fadi17
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas8283 View Post
If you buy and take delivery of an X5 45e before 1/1/23 you are eligible (the only requirement that applies is the car must be manufactured in the US). After 1/1/23 all sorts of other requirements apply including a max msrp of $80k for an SUV and income limitations. I've also heard others here say the X5 50e won't qualify anyway because of battery components.
Appreciate 1
Chas8283354.50
      11-11-2022, 08:10 AM   #12
scungilio
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw x5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad03060 View Post
With inflation, there COULD be a pretty significant price increase with the next MY...then, the loss of the federal tax credit can make the jump even more. We won't know for a while.
This is a very good point well taken. Likely looking at around an 8% price increase, no way manufacturers are going to eat their rapidly rising costs. Couple that with the fact that the US government will not be paying people to buys these vehicles and you have a much higher relative price.
10-12% discounts and lease subsidies will come to the rescue.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 08:14 AM   #13
Chas8283
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M

Quote:
Quote:
If you buy and take delivery of an X5 45e before 1/1/23 you are eligible (the only requirement that applies is the car must be manufactured in the US). After 1/1/23 all sorts of other requirements apply including a max msrp of $80k for an SUV and income limitations. I've also heard others here say the X5 50e won't qualify anyway because of battery components.
Ah. Interesting. I remember when the bill first came out guys were on here talking about canceling their orders because of lost tax credit but I guess that was before the details were understood.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 08:28 AM   #14
scungilio
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Ah. Interesting. I remember when the bill first came out guys were on here talking about canceling their orders because of lost tax credit but I guess that was before the details were understood.
Exactly, These government payments to buyers(aka tax credit) should have never happened. A vehicle should sell on its own merrit. A guy who is busting his ass up on a sweltering roof or in a trench shoveling concrete should not be subsidising his Physician's luxury BMW purchase.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 08:49 AM   #15
fadi17
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scungilio View Post
Exactly, These government payments to buyers(aka tax credit) should have never happened. A vehicle should sell on its own merrit. A guy who is busting his ass up on a sweltering roof or in a trench shoveling concrete should not be subsidising his Physician's luxury BMW purchase.
Your point makes sense but misses the logic behind the intended purpose of the credit. It wasn't so that rich people could receive tax relief but rather so that people (poor or rich) would start using less cars that emit more carbon (purely environmental purpose). Also don't forget that when the previous tax credit was enacted EVs and other hybrids weren't as expensive and fancy as they are now so not many rich people were buying them. Congress fixed this problem now with income limits and max car price limits.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 09:14 AM   #16
ST3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scungilio View Post
Your point makes sense but misses the logic behind the intended purpose of the credit. It wasn't so that rich people could receive tax relief but rather so that people (poor or rich) would start using less cars that emit more carbon (purely environmental purpose). Also don't forget that when the previous tax credit was enacted EVs and other hybrids weren't as expensive and fancy as they are now so not many rich people were buying them. Congress fixed this problem now with income limits and max car price limits.
Congress removed one of the incentives for people that can actually afford these expensive vehicles to consider them over an ICE. These same people can also afford to purchase fuel when it's over $5/gallon.

The primary purpose of the credit was based on the reduction of ICE vehicle purchases (edited) NOT to help rich people. The new credit limits will not help the original reduction intent.

I say all of this not as someone that is advocating for the credit. As of this moment every vehicle I own is a V8. I'm fortunate that I don't have to choose a vehicle solely based on an incentive. It does become one factor out of many. My point is simply that people and politics can very quickly ruin an intended outcome very quickly. In this case to reduce the number of people purchasing ICE vehicles
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 09:28 AM   #17
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Quote:
Congress removed one of the incentives for people that can actually afford these expensive vehicles to consider them over an ICE. These same people can also afford to purchase fuel when it's over $5/gallon.

The primary purpose of the credit was based on the environment NOT to help rich people. The new credit limits will not help the original environmental intent.

I say all of this not as someone that is advocating for the credit. As of this moment every vehicle I own is a V8. I'm fortunate that I don't have to choose a vehicle solely based on an incentive. It does become one factor out of many. My point is simply that people and politics can very quickly ruin an intended outcome very quickly. In this case to reduce the number of people purchasing ICE vehicles
Which has always been a false premise. If everyone knew how mining lithium absolutely rapes the earth and how environmentally dirty manufacturing and disposing of the batteries are there wouldn't be any EVs
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 09:55 AM   #18
ST3
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas1836 View Post
Quote:

The primary purpose of the credit was based on the environment NOT to help rich people. The new credit limits will not help the original environmental intent.

Which has always been a false premise. If everyone knew how mining lithium absolutely rapes the earth and how environmentally dirty manufacturing and disposing of the batteries are there wouldn't be any EVs
I knew I should have edited my post to indicate fewer ICE vehicles consistently and not even use the word environment.

I hope my simple point doesn't get lost in all of the surrounding noise. Not debating at all how much is messed up with the toxicity of batteries and manufacturing…
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 10:54 AM   #19
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Quote:
I knew I should have edited my post to indicate fewer ICE vehicles consistently and not even use the word environment.

I hope my simple point doesn't get lost in all of the surrounding noise. Not debating at all how much is messed up with the toxicity of batteries and manufacturing…
I wholeheartedly agree about the tax credit, it has been going to the wealthier and to the EV manufacturers who have been raising their MSRPs to match the credit amount
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 01:59 PM   #20
LOFT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 45e

Under the heading of government intentions,we live in Ontario with a population of just under 15 million, slightly larger than each of Michigan and Pennsylvania. We are also the auto manufacturing hub of Canada.

Our "centre right" provincial government (eg. like a US state), the Conservatives, have cancelled individual tax incentives for the buyers of EV/PHEVs and rather "invested" our tax dollars in partnering and incentivizing the building of EV/PHEVs and associated parts such as batteries. There is still a $5k federal credit on EV/PHEV's costing under $60K...which my 2022 X5 45e did not qualify for a $85K vehicle (all Canadian dollars).

So I have mixed feelings. Sure I would have taken a tax credit on my car if available, but my gut tells me the government is doing the right thing by betting that we continue to have a future in an ever changing automotive industry.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2022, 04:56 PM   #21
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

Yes, castrated
      11-11-2022, 05:23 PM   #22
scungilio
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas1836 View Post
Yeah, was recently reading about lithium mining and how hard it is on the "environment", pretty crazy stuff indeed. China's mining operations are described as absolutely sinfull but they along with other Asian countries, India, and a few others care only about money and are opening coal fired electrical plants as fast as they can build them while we close ours.
Ask Europe how that is working out for them. You don't power heavy industry and heat homes for hundreds of millions of people with wind mills and solar panels.
Appreciate 0