BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-26-2022, 09:20 AM   #1
jasonwallace12
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Digital key locking/unlocking

When I use my phone as the digital key I can't seem to lock or unlock the car from the handle. I have to go into the my bmw app and do it. Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong haha
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 10:19 AM   #2
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

I just lay the phone on the drivers side handle closer to the back. Make sure your settings are set up correctly, I have mine set up so I don’t have to open the phone (or the App) for it to work.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 10:26 AM   #3
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonwallace12 View Post
When I use my phone as the digital key I can't seem to lock or unlock the car from the handle. I have to go into the my bmw app and do it. Someone tell me what I'm doing wrong haha
can you take a photo of where/how you're placing the phone? you confirmed your settings are correct? do you have Express Mode on or off? if off (assuming iPhone), you have to unlock your phone first before placing it on the handle.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 10:30 AM   #4
weinerbarn
Unapologetic Tool Hoarder
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 M Competition

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1662903

I usually placed the phone centered on that mark with the midback or about volume button height lined up with the door handle.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 11:11 AM   #5
Stoshu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nZtiZia View Post
can you take a photo of where/how you're placing the phone? you confirmed your settings are correct? do you have Express Mode on or off? if off (assuming iPhone), you have to unlock your phone first before placing it on the handle.
Can’t take a picture of the phone but I place it where my finger is about 1/4 of the way from the top of the phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weinerbarn
I usually placed the phone centered on that mark with the midback or about volume button height lined up with the door handle.
The next two are screen shots from the digital key in my apple wallet.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-26-2022, 10:22 PM   #6
SplendidCamel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

To learn the optimal tap location, I recommend sliding the key card and the phone with the digital key along the handle from the front to the back. When the door unlocks, you will know where the NFC reader is. (The reader is in the middle of the handle.) You can slide your iPhone up and down on the middle of the handle to see what position the iPhone unlocks/locks the door. After doing this exercise a few times it becomes second nature to tap the middle of the handle with the correct part of the phone. You will remember the ideal location of the phone and key card to unlock the door and you can unlock or lock the door with a quick tap.

If you slide the key card along the handle and it doesn't unlock the door, then the key card isn't working. I have found that I can re-enable the key card and digital key by deleting them from the vehicle and then adding them back.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2022, 11:14 AM   #7
Crafto
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 X5 45e MGM Msport

My phone has started being more and more finicky, like it can take me up to 10 seconds or more to get it to lock/unlock sometimes, repeatedly placing the phone on the handle. The keycard is waaaay worse--can take me 5 minutes after returning to car from a run to try to unlock the damn thing. Be cool if it worked better.
Appreciate 0