BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

10-25-2022, 09:33 AM   #1
quad_drive
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 45e; 20 Cayenne S; 17 Q7

AC button help

Can someone explain how this button works? I am confused by what the button is doing! Sometimes I see AC in RED, then AC is White. Sometime SYNC showed up! Thanks…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 09:50 AM   #2
Spencer518
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 45e

If you push the top of the button you will bring up the HVAC menu. When you push the bottom of the button it toggles between AC on and AC off. If you turn the AC off and the climate system is synchronized left/right/rear, you will see Sync in the display.
Appreciate 1
altern814.50
      10-25-2022, 10:07 AM   #3
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 650ix GC / F15 X5 50i

Red & white? What time of day are you seeing it change? White should be daylight...red should be dusk to dawn (evening).

This should also be explained in the various owner manuals. The one embedded in iDrive is easy to use and even has videos for multiple topics...and also has multiple search methods. There's also the online/app version...and the paperback version.

There are videos on Youtube, as well:

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 2
      10-25-2022, 11:57 AM   #4
quad_drive
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer518 View Post
If you push the top of the button you will bring up the HVAC menu. When you push the bottom of the button it toggles between AC on and AC off. If you turn the AC off and the climate system is synchronized left/right/rear, you will see Sync in the display.
I see what you are saying. I tested it out. But, my confusion is AC and SYNC are not mutually exclusive. I can have both AC ON and SYNC at the same time, right? I see what the bottom button is doing now with the AC menu on the screen. It seems to me, AC and SYNC should be 2 separate buttons like most cars.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 01:28 PM   #5
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by quad_drive View Post
I see what you are saying. I tested it out. But, my confusion is AC and SYNC are not mutually exclusive. I can have both AC ON and SYNC at the same time, right? I see what the bottom button is doing now with the AC menu on the screen. It seems to me, AC and SYNC should be 2 separate buttons like most cars.
The button has nothing to do with SYNC. When you see SYNC, that means the AC is off and the climate zones are synchronized. When AC is on, which should be all of the time to get the best out of the system, then AC is displayed. You can use the menu or voice to Synchronize.
      10-25-2022, 01:30 PM   #6
E91toG05
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 45e

Or set a favorite button to synchronize…. Annoying that they do not have a dedicated button for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 01:47 PM   #7
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad_drive View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by E91toG05 View Post
Or set a favorite button to synchronize…. Annoying that they do not have a dedicated button for it.
i wish BMW had the same feature like my old Audi that syncs by holding the driver's side AUTO button. No need to have or program another button because the AUTO button is already there
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2022, 02:34 PM   #8
quad_drive
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

I think I understand it now... The SYNC display confused me, when the AC is toggled to Off. I thought somehow the button can control 'SYNC' function which I use a lot because my kid like to mess with the rear HVAC control, I didn't want to turn off the rear HVAC control, sometimes others may use it.

Again, why is the display of SYNC and AC can't co-exist is beyond me.

Thanks for all the help.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 04:42 PM   #9
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
The button has nothing to do with SYNC. When you see SYNC, that means the AC is off and the climate zones are synchronized. When AC is on, which should be all of the time to get the best out of the system, then AC is displayed. You can use the menu or voice to Synchronize.
There are times when we prefer to have unconditioned outside air circulating, but for various reasons don't want the windows open. Unnecessary use of the AC also wastes battery power in electric mode.

We've been trying to duplicate the "vent" setting my older cars had by turning AC off and adjusting the fan controls. It's not clear to me what impact changing the temperature would have -- we haven't tried fooling with that.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 04:53 PM   #10
jad03060
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 45e

Just be aware that opening windows in lieu of running the a/c uses more power. The cross-over seems to be about 25-mph...faster than that the induced drag uses more energy than the sleeker body and using a/c.

You should be able to turn the a/c off and retain the venting...haven't tried that though.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 05:02 PM   #11
nZtiZia
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: eVeRyOnE mAD!

Garage List
i believe that turning AC 'off' will disable anti-fogging sensors
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 05:21 PM   #12
Shllshck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 428i GC, 2023 X6 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post
There are times when we prefer to have unconditioned outside air circulating, but for various reasons don't want the windows open. Unnecessary use of the AC also wastes battery power in electric mode.

We've been trying to duplicate the "vent" setting my older cars had by turning AC off and adjusting the fan controls. It's not clear to me what impact changing the temperature would have -- we haven't tried fooling with that.

Any thoughts?
My old 3 series and current F36 4 series, you can open the vent and switch the AC off. I haven’t played with the vent setting enough on our new X6. Will have to play around and check on that.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2022, 06:59 PM   #13
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Fleegman View Post

Any thoughts?
Having the AC on does not mean that it is running. If it is not calling for AC then it is not using any more energy, at least on ICE.

I would suggest keeping it on AC and make sure your air flow is set to outside. You could turn off the AC and do the same but it of course wouldn't get much cooler should the cabin start heating up.
      10-26-2022, 08:57 AM   #14
Guy Fleegman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleBoy View Post
Having the AC on does not mean that it is running. If it is not calling for AC then it is not using any more energy, at least on ICE.

I would suggest keeping it on AC and make sure your air flow is set to outside. You could turn off the AC and do the same but it of course wouldn't get much cooler should the cabin start heating up.
I suppose. It's just that when it's 70 degrees outside and very comfortable and we just want a little of that nice mountain air flowing...this seems like a complicated way to achieve something so intuitively simple.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 05:16 AM   #15
namitj5X5
Registered
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE25T, BMW X5, Ecosport

Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum. I recently welcomed home the all the X5. I was going through the manual and found two interesting buttons present that I have never seen on any X5 video i have watched. They are placed right next to the the front and rear defogger buttons (which are underneath the central AC vents). I have attached the image. Would appreciate the inputs of the members here.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 07:20 AM   #16
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Originally Posted by namitj5X5 View Post
Hi All,

This is my first post on this forum. I recently welcomed home the all the X5. I was going through the manual and found two interesting buttons present that I have never seen on any X5 video i have watched. They are placed right next to the the front and rear defogger buttons (which are underneath the central AC vents). I have attached the image. Would appreciate the inputs of the members here.

Thanks!
I don't have these buttons.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2023, 05:19 PM   #17
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
...I was going through the manual and found two interesting buttons present that I have never seen on any X5 video i have watched. They are placed right next to the the front and rear defogger buttons (which are underneath the central AC vents). I have attached the image. Would appreciate the inputs of the members here.

Thanks!
What did the MANUAL say they were for? And what do you think we can give you over what the manual said?

Many of us probably don't know what they are for...never seen them...so if you can reveal what the manual said they were for...you'd be educating many BMW owners that have never seen them before.

BTW, the resolution of the pic is so fuzzy...I can't tell what the icon on the left is (even after enlarging the image). The icon on the right looks like a fan speed button...is that what it says it is in the manual?
Attached Images

Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2023, 11:35 PM   #18
namitj5X5
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
What did the MANUAL say they were for? And what do you think we can give you over what the manual said?

Many of us probably don't know what they are for...never seen them...so if you can reveal what the manual said they were for...you'd be educating many BMW owners that have never seen them before.

BTW, the resolution of the pic is so fuzzy...I can't tell what the icon on the left is (even after enlarging the image). The icon on the right looks like a fan speed button...is that what it says it is in the manual?
Unfortunately, the manual does not say anything about these two buttons. Which is why I was confused. Also because, my car doesn't come with them. If I had to take a guess, these buttons would have something to do with the BMW Ambient Air Package control. Sorry for the bad image. It was the clearest I could find in the manual. The icon on the left is the same that BMW has for its heated seats. Curly arrows pointing up.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 09:18 AM   #19
Qsilver7
Major General
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the update. Hopefully someone that has them will chime in with more info.

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 09:36 AM   #20
walketed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50e - 2024

Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks!
It's not a button. It's an LED, in my case when I precondition the car and the AC is on, the LED turns blue.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2023, 01:27 PM   #21
Heavyd
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 50e

Quote:
Unfortunately, the manual does not say anything about these two buttons. Which is why I was confused. Also because, my car doesn't come with them. If I had to take a guess, these buttons would have something to do with the BMW Ambient Air Package control. Sorry for the bad image. It was the clearest I could find in the manual. The icon on the left is the same that BMW has for its heated seats. Curly arrows pointing up.
I have ambiant air and I don’t have these buttons.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2023, 05:26 AM   #22
namitj5X5
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by walketed View Post
It's not a button. It's an LED, in my case when I precondition the car and the AC is on, the LED turns blue.
Oh! I gotta check it out then. Maybe there is a different location for it on my car. Could be on the screen. And these could be exclusive to the PHEV version
Appreciate 0