BMW X5
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

09-25-2022, 10:21 PM   #1
dealy663
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 xDrive40e

Bumper removal for hitch install (PDC worries)

Hi Guys

Since I had to take an X5 off the lot I couldn't get the hitch from the factory. So I ordered a stealth hitch which arrived yesterday. I'll be going through the install next weekend. My 22 X5 has parking distance sensors, which I've never had on a car before. So I'm concerned about how to get the bumper off without damaging the parking sensors.

Does anyone have suggestions about the best way to do this? I've watched a couple of videos, but they don't show that part very clearly. This is something I really don't want to damage because I really have come to depend on those sensors.

Thanks, Derek
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2022, 11:35 PM   #2
mlurker
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealy663 View Post
Hi Guys

Since I had to take an X5 off the lot I couldn't get the hitch from the factory. So I ordered a stealth hitch which arrived yesterday. I'll be going through the install next weekend. My 22 X5 has parking distance sensors, which I've never had on a car before. So I'm concerned about how to get the bumper off without damaging the parking sensors.

Does anyone have suggestions about the best way to do this? I've watched a couple of videos, but they don't show that part very clearly. This is something I really don't want to damage because I really have come to depend on those sensors.

Thanks, Derek
There are several youtube videos showing how to install stealthhitch. You better do the bumper removal and installation step with someone helping you to disconnect the wiring and not to damage the paint. It's a relatively easy step to do.

This is the exact moment: https://youtu.be/IY1LODv9hj0?t=823
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 08:22 AM   #3
ironside2018
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dealy663 View Post
Hi Guys

Thanks, Derek
I recently installed a stealth hitch on my x5. As others have said, the YouTube videos from the manufacturer are great. Stealth hitch actually has several YouTube videos for the X5 installation, each with a different installer. I watched all of them ahead of time just to mentally prepare myself for the task at hand. As to the sensors themselves, there is a single connector on the passenger side of the car that gets disconnected when you are removing the bumper. In the videos I saw, the step was clearly shown.Also, the written instructions are very good and detailed as well. Don't forget to reconnect all of the wiring before you reinstall the bumper. Also make sure you have all of the recommended tools, including a large torque wrench. The hitch itself needs to be torqued very tightly on the frame of the car. You'll want a big socket and big wrench to get this done efficiently, otherwise you'll be struggling.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2022, 10:21 AM   #4
neocryte
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X5 45e

Pretty easy install, just need to commit some time. Took me ~6 hours from start to finish, but I was very slow/measured. As others said, lots of videos out there, I don't recall removing the bumpers / disconnecting sensors being an issue whatsoever. I did it all by myself.
Appreciate 0