E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > About to pull trigger on a new 328xi

12-23-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
Phil G.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328xi

About to pull trigger on a new 328xi

Tried to work with several dealers near Philly on purchasing a new 328xi sedan, but got either arrogant responses, and/or pricing at best $1000 over invoice. I found a dealer in central PA (thanks to SteveMD) who is giving me the car at around $500 over wholesale cost, and was the only dealer willing to work with me on a wheel/tire setup that I want. Specifically, I want the sport package which comes with style 284 wheels, which are not particularly good looking. With the sport package, you can order the 2S1 option, which gives you the much better looking 286 wheels, but which only come through with summer run flat tires. Living in PA, I need A/S and don't want to switch out wheels/tires every 6 months, like I'm doing with my Audi TTR. This dealer is willing to have me buy tires (will use Tire Rack unless they can buy them cheaper) and will swap them out, and give me cash for the summer tires that come with the car. So this way, I still get 17"s, but can put either Conti or Pirelli A/S RFT on. But, finally a dealer that seems genuinely hungry for business and was willing to be creative with me - enough that I'm going to do the sale with his dealership. Now to pick colors - looks like Space Gray with either beige or oyster (my preference - but it's my wife's car), plus premium, cold weather, Logic7, satellite, iPod, and xenons. Should be a nice car. Will order it and lock in BMW Financial rate of 0.9%.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 07:09 PM   #2
rroof
Sniper
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 335xi 6MT; '08 A3 2.0T

Nice dealin'

Amazing how bad some dealers are! Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 09:09 PM   #3
willa1975
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i

Alright Phil! Sounds like you got a great deal. Do they have the vehicle in stock, or will you need to order it?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 07:09 AM   #4
Phil G.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willa1975 View Post
Alright Phil! Sounds like you got a great deal. Do they have the vehicle in stock, or will you need to order it?
Car will be ordered - no way to find it from stock with the equipment I want. I went to another dealer yesterday and lots of 328xi's on the lot, most all with 17"s (style 285 w/ A/S tires), but you can ONLY get that wheel/tire option IF you don't order the sport package. Makes zero sense, and BMW won't budge on that. Otherwise, I would have simply ordered those wheels instead. The dealer also agreed that if I give them a $500 deposit (also reasonable) by 12/31, he will guarantee that the BMW finance rate of 0.9% is locked in. Nice!!

Last edited by Phil G.; 12-24-2008 at 01:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 01:16 PM   #5
Phil G.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Got the quote faxed over today. Seems the dealership "missed the cost of the paddles" which are $90. I assume they are a mandatory option on the sport package on the 328xi steptronic. I did negotiate a $500 over invoice on the car, which included $110 for carpet mats (most dealers throw this in). How much of a stink should I make of the paddle shifter charge? I think they should just toss in the mats, or compromise and take $100 off the selling price. I don't want to nickel and dime the guy, but I don't want to be nickel and dimed either. What would you do? Appreciate the advice. In any event, his deal is better than any others I've been offered.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 03:05 PM   #6
willa1975
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I don't think it's worth getting bent out of shape over $100, although it couldn't hurt to ask about it. But it just doesn't seem like a significant amount of money compared to the overall cost of the car. I certainly wouldn't let it be a deal breaker, especially if the current financing rates don't continue into next month.

I ran the numbers on the Edmunds auto loan calculator and, even though the price I agreed to was ~$1300 over invoice, if the financing rates on e92s were to go up from 1.9% to 2.9%, I'd have to get the car below invoice price to have the same monthly payment. And even if the 0.9% financing rates continue for the e90, the extra $100 is probably less than the price increase BMW is planning for next month.

What color combo did you decide on?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 03:46 PM   #7
Phil G.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think it's worth getting bent out of shape over $100, although it couldn't hurt to ask about it. But it just doesn't seem like a significant amount of money compared to the overall cost of the car. I certainly wouldn't let it be a deal breaker, especially if the current financing rates don't continue into next month.

I ran the numbers on the Edmunds auto loan calculator and, even though the price I agreed to was ~$1300 over invoice, if the financing rates on e92s were to go up from 1.9% to 2.9%, I'd have to get the car below invoice price to have the same monthly payment. And even if the 0.9% financing rates continue for the e90, the extra $100 is probably less than the price increase BMW is planning for next month.

What color combo did you decide on?
Agree and $90 certainly won't break the deal although I will question the salesman about it. As for the colors, likely going with Space Gray. Now deciding on interior - will either be beige or oyster. She saw Space Gray with Gray leather and didn't like it at all. But, it's her decision - whatever she wants is fine with me. Here's a large pic of the 284 wheel that is standard with the sport package. Below it a pic of both the 284 and the optional 286 wheel, which I think is simpler and cleaner. The 284 will be hell to clean - plus I really don't love the look of the center hub, but again, I'm not sure it's worth going through the pain of swapping out tires to get the 286's since I think the 284 isn't bad. Is it worth the hassle for the nicer look? What's your opinion? Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 05:45 PM   #8
willa1975
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

They're both good-looking wheels. Looks like there's a $300 difference between the 284s and the 286s...really not that much money. If you like the 286s better, you should go with those, especially if the dealer is going to give you cash for the OEM summer RFTs. Of course, since it's going to be your wife's car, you could buy yourself some peace of mind and delegate that decision to her. Plus, that way she can't blame you if she doesn't like the wheels once the car comes.

I agree with your wife on the space gray with gray leather combo...
Overall, I'm partial to the two-tone interior color schemes for the 3-series (e.g. oyster/black, chestnut/black). However, I think the oyster looks a bit goofy with the available trim selections in the e90s. It would go great with gray poplar if it were available. Personally, I'd go with saddle or chestnut. But, choosing between the oyster and the beige, I'd probably take the beige.

I'm going through a similar dilemma, trying to decide whether or not to go for the 19" style 230 or stick with the 189s that come standard with the 335i sport package. I like the 230s a bit better, but I don't know if I want to spend an extra $1000 to get them. Plus, with the 230s, I'm guaranteed to get the Bridgestone RFTs, whereas I've got a shot at getting the Michelins with the 189s. Seems most people who have used both feel that the Michelins are much better tires. I can always get some aftermarket 19" wheels and throw some non-RFTs on them.

And, for now, I'm sticking with the coral red interior.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 06:07 PM   #9
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: RS5

The paddles aren't mandatory, you can get them without the sport package. I also would go with the Beige over the Oyster, I just don't like the two tone look. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 06:29 PM   #10
Phil G.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgb1637 View Post
The paddles aren't mandatory, you can get them without the sport package. I also would go with the Beige over the Oyster, I just don't like the two tone look. Good luck!
Dealer's telling me it's a "mandatory" option for my car. He listed it as "sport leather wheel with paddle shifter." I was under the impression that the sport package includes a thicker leather wheel with the aluminum trim. That's what I have in my '07 328xi with sport package. Is this not the case with the '09's?? I'll verify since my wife really doesn't need or want the paddles. As for color, my guess we'll do the beige - she has that now with Sparkling Graphite and really likes it.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 06:34 PM   #11
Phil G.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They're both good-looking wheels. Looks like there's a $300 difference between the 284s and the 286s...really not that much money. If you like the 286s better, you should go with those, especially if the dealer is going to give you cash for the OEM summer RFTs. Of course, since it's going to be your wife's car, you could buy yourself some peace of mind and delegate that decision to her. Plus, that way she can't blame you if she doesn't like the wheels once the car comes.

I agree with your wife on the space gray with gray leather combo...
Overall, I'm partial to the two-tone interior color schemes for the 3-series (e.g. oyster/black, chestnut/black). However, I think the oyster looks a bit goofy with the available trim selections in the e90s. It would go great with gray poplar if it were available. Personally, I'd go with saddle or chestnut. But, choosing between the oyster and the beige, I'd probably take the beige.

I'm going through a similar dilemma, trying to decide whether or not to go for the 19" style 230 or stick with the 189s that come standard with the 335i sport package. I like the 230s a bit better, but I don't know if I want to spend an extra $1000 to get them. Plus, with the 230s, I'm guaranteed to get the Bridgestone RFTs, whereas I've got a shot at getting the Michelins with the 189s. Seems most people who have used both feel that the Michelins are much better tires. I can always get some aftermarket 19" wheels and throw some non-RFTs on them.

And, for now, I'm sticking with the coral red interior.

Do you have pics of the wheel options for the 335? I don't see them in the 2009 3-series catalogue I have. Post or email them to me if you can. The more I look at the standard 284's that come with the 328xi sport package, the better they look. I still like the 286's better, but not sure it's worth the extra $600 or so to make the switch - $275 for the wheels, plus around $200 for the tire switch, plus $160 for mounting and balancing. On the large pic, they sort of look neat.

On the color issue, BMW doesn't offer saddle or chestnut with the Space Gray. Only gray, black, beige or oyster. I love sapphire with coral red. Very sharp.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 06:37 AM   #12
Phil G.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Well, I bought the car yesterday! Ordered an '09 328xi sedan in Space Gray with Oyster leather, premium, cold, sport, steptronic, sport leather wheel w/ paddle shifters, xenons, high end stereo, satellite radio, iPod/USB adapter. I did not order the 286 wheels although the dealer agreed to do it. After looking at the wheels that come with the sport package, opted to keep them. Dealer guaranteed me current pricing (prior to 1/1/09 price increase) and financing at 0.9% or better (whichever's in place at time of delivery). Also, straight $500 over invoice. I think it's a fair deal and I'm happy with it. Thought my wife would like beige leather, but after seeing a car with oyster on the lot, she picked that. It's pretty sharp and should look good with SG.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 09:47 AM   #13
willa1975
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier...the wheel options are on page 55 of the catalog. The 287 wheels come with the 335i sport package (optional on xi), and the 161s are the 17-inch wheels that are standard with the 335xi sport package. One thing with ordering a car is that you have way too much time to second-guess your choices in terms of colors/options. Still haven't ruled out springing for the 230s, but I probably won't.

Glad you got the price you were looking for on the 328. I do like the oyster as well...what trim did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 11:49 AM   #14
Phil G.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry I didn't get back to you earlier...the wheel options are on page 55 of the catalog. The 287 wheels come with the 335i sport package (optional on xi), and the 161s are the 17-inch wheels that are standard with the 335xi sport package. One thing with ordering a car is that you have way too much time to second-guess your choices in terms of colors/options. Still haven't ruled out springing for the 230s, but I probably won't.

Glad you got the price you were looking for on the 328. I do like the oyster as well...what trim did you go with?
I like the 287's that come on the 335i sport package - I'd get 'em in a minute if offered on the 328. Yes, I agree the 230's are nicer, but are they worth the extra $$$ (are they really a $1000 option)?? As for the trim on the car, got oyster with dark burl walnut.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 12:16 PM   #15
willa1975
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Yup. $1000.

I'd rather not have a higher monthly payment than I am forecasting myself to have. For that reason, I have decided to simply increase my down payment if I see fit to spring for any additional options.

Considering that I am also planning on getting wheels/tires coverage and the dent/scratch repair plan, my out-of-pocket expenses will, in all likelihood, be high enough already. So, I think I will just stick with the 189s and pick up a set of aftermarket 19s a year from now if I still feel the need to scratch that itch.

Do you have a production week on the car?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 01:08 PM   #16
Phil G.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup. $1000.

I'd rather not have a higher monthly payment than I am forecasting myself to have. For that reason, I have decided to simply increase my down payment if I see fit to spring for any additional options.

Considering that I am also planning on getting wheels/tires coverage and the dent/scratch repair plan, my out-of-pocket expenses will, in all likelihood, be high enough already. So, I think I will just stick with the 189s and pick up a set of aftermarket 19s a year from now if I still feel the need to scratch that itch.

Do you have a production week on the car?
No production date yet - the order's only going in tomorrow, I believe. I don't need the car until mid-March. If it's in by 3/1, I'll just take it then. I think your plan on wheels makes sense. How much are you paying on the tire/wheel coverage? Was it offered through the dealer at purchase? We have that on our current BMW and did use the wheel replacement once for a flat, which almost paid for the coverage itself.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 02:55 PM   #17
willa1975
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I haven't discussed the wheel/tire coverage with the dealer yet. But, unless it's obscenely expensive, I'm getting it. I've had 3 flats over the past year and a half, and I'd hate to have to replace 3 RFTs in such a short period of time.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #18
Phil G.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't discussed the wheel/tire coverage with the dealer yet. But, unless it's obscenely expensive, I'm getting it. I've had 3 flats over the past year and a half, and I'd hate to have to replace 3 RFTs in such a short period of time.
I think I paid around $500 for my BMW for 3 year coverage for tire and wheel replacement for damage. I paid $400 for 4 years for my Audi and it even covers curb rash!! I'll get a package when the car comes in - I was too exhausted to even think about it when I ordered the car!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 11:31 PM   #19
PCR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 335i

Hey Phil and Willa, +1 on the philly car dealers. I searched, and if you found $1K over invoice, you worked it hard.

I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but it doesn't look like the dealers in this area are as hurting as in other parts of the country. Except for Ottos in Exton. That place was a ghost town. I personally have had several bad experience from them, so I wouldn't buy a car from them even at invoice (but that's a whole differnt story).

I ended up going to Devon Hill. I bought my E39 530i from them, and I just don't have the time to go too far. Plus, my deal was complicated w/ my trade in. My purchase price looked low, but I got soaked on the trade in. The way I see it, I paid about $1400 over invoice (w/ mats) when I re-adjust the trade in value. Nothing to write home about, but I wasn't looking for something on the lot.

I ordered a 335i sedan in Blk Sapphilre w/ Saddle leather, sport, premium, cold, Nav, step, paddles, Logic7, Sat, iPod, and Comfort Access.

So you guys would both get the wheel/tire coverage? That's the only thing I'm still un-decided on. Does it cover tread wear as well?

Willla, where did you get yours?

Oh yeah; as Jerry Jones would say... "How bout tem Cowboys?" Great game today. I only caught a few mins in Q4, thought the score was a mistake when I saw it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 06:14 AM   #20
Phil G.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCR View Post
Hey Phil and Willa, +1 on the philly car dealers. I searched, and if you found $1K over invoice, you worked it hard.

I'm not sure if this is good or bad, but it doesn't look like the dealers in this area are as hurting as in other parts of the country. Except for Ottos in Exton. That place was a ghost town. I personally have had several bad experience from them, so I wouldn't buy a car from them even at invoice (but that's a whole differnt story).

I ended up going to Devon Hill. I bought my E39 530i from them, and I just don't have the time to go too far. Plus, my deal was complicated w/ my trade in. My purchase price looked low, but I got soaked on the trade in. The way I see it, I paid about $1400 over invoice (w/ mats) when I re-adjust the trade in value. Nothing to write home about, but I wasn't looking for something on the lot.

I ordered a 335i sedan in Blk Sapphilre w/ Saddle leather, sport, premium, cold, Nav, step, paddles, Logic7, Sat, iPod, and Comfort Access.

So you guys would both get the wheel/tire coverage? That's the only thing I'm still un-decided on. Does it cover tread wear as well?

Willla, where did you get yours?

Oh yeah; as Jerry Jones would say... "How bout tem Cowboys?" Great game today. I only caught a few mins in Q4, thought the score was a mistake when I saw it.
I checked out Devon Hill also - they were super nice, but couldn't do better than $1500 over invoice, so sayonara it was. Sales rep at Ottos was a jerk, period. And I couldn't believe the insulting crap I got from BMW of the Main Line where I bought 5 BMWs over the years! With one phone call, I saved at least $1000 on my deal from Apple BMW of York. I will definitely get the tire/wheel package when I get the car. One or two flats or any wheel damage covers your cost. It's worth it just for the peace of mind. As for the Eagles game, I still think I was dreaming. Incredible, just incredible.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 03:28 PM   #21
PCR
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 335i

Quote:
Sales rep at Ottos was a jerk, period.
So...it not just me. In the last 14 yrs of living in WC, I've never had a good experience in there (my friends included). [Last thing I'll say about them. I'm not trying to turn this into a flame thread]

I'll let you know when I get more details on my order.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 04:31 PM   #22
Phil G.
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCR View Post
So...it not just me. In the last 14 yrs of living in WC, I've never had a good experience in there (my friends included). [Last thing I'll say about them. I'm not trying to turn this into a flame thread]

I'll let you know when I get more details on my order.
I sent you a PM, but didn't realize that you'd already bought from Devon Hill. They were nice as could be, but wouldn't go a nickel below $1500 over invoice - which wasn't even in the ballpark. How did you do with your deal? Probably a bit difficult to tell since you traded in a car also. Any idea what they're really giving you on the new car?
Appreciate 0