F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Drive train malfunction codes galore
ARMA SPEED

09-19-2022, 06:30 PM   #1
chinniciF32
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: f32 n55

Drive train malfunction codes galore

Gentleman, (and ladies)

I recently got around to replacing my valve cover and plugs on my n55 f32. Everything seemed fine I drove it maybe 10 miles never went even close to WOT then I heard a backfire and went into limp mode.

last time this happened I found out the plug just needed to be gapped properly but this time I'm not sure? A really really strong odor of gas (stronger than a catless smell) surrounded the car and I limped it home.

While I scanned for codes these are the codes I got. Thanks in advance for your help fellas
Attached Images

09-22-2022, 09:15 AM   #2
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

Check your O2 sensor connections. From first look at the codes alone, it looks like one of the O2 sensor is missing the necessary readings for the DME. I'm also clueing your O2 sensor connection because you've just done a valvecover job, and both O2 sensor harness plugs are located on top of the valve cover; so whether you've found a way to tuck those away during valvecover swap or if you've unplugged those then plugged them back, I think you best check that first and go from there.

The most important task you should be doing is to resolve the O2 sensor faults first. Without correct O2 sensor reading, the engine will run its tunes blind; should idle and drive pretty roughly until you get that O2 sensor issue resolved. And if the O2 harnesses are plugged snuggly on the valvecover, then trace the wire up and down the harness.

Last edited by yupetc; 09-22-2022 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 11:10 AM   #3
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

If you clear the codes and restart do they immediately come back? In addition to above replacing the VC often leads to a vacuum leak if everything wasnt put back perfectly.

Also what plugs? OEM plugs OEM gap?
Appreciate 0