E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > would you be a Good Samaritan

12-22-2008, 01:40 PM   #1
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
would you be a Good Samaritan

seen this on yahoo

A court in the United States has ruled that a would-be Good Samaritan accused of rendering her friend paraplegic by pulling her from a wrecked car can be sued.
The Supreme Court of California has declared that the state's Good Samaritan law only protects people from liability if they are administering emergency medical care.

Justice Carlos Moreno ruled that a person is not obligated to come to someone's aid. "If, however, a person elects to come to someone's aid, he or she has a duty to exercise due care," he wrote.

According to the lawsuit, on 1 November 2004 Alexandra Van Horn was in the front passenger seat of a car that crashed into a lamp post at 45 mph. Lisa Torti was a passenger in a car that was following Van Horn and stopped after the crash.

According to Torti she feared the wreckage was going to explode and she therefore pulled her friend out. Van Horn has testified that Torti pulled her out of the wreckage ‘like a rag doll' and blamed her for her paralysis.

Torti argues that she should be protected from a lawsuit because she was giving ‘medical care' when she pulled Van Horn from the car.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/blog/editor.../article/9758/
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I agree with the law as it's stated. Medical care was not being given and so the lawsuit should be allowed to go on.
I don't agree with the spirit of the actions. A good Samaritan should not be held liable for trying to help unless it was without regard to life and health ie someone intoxicated and "helping" making things worse.
Hopefully with this lawsuit, we can get this amended to cover medical and non medical.

Many years back, someone got sued for giving mouth to mouth and cracking a rib in the process. I think that was the case that changed the above ruling. Maybe this will change it as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
......only in America
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 02:05 PM   #4
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
......only in America
And that's coming from an American!
      12-22-2008, 02:11 PM   #5
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
......only in America
You read my mind mate.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #6
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
I go with answer C.
      12-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #7
jjbirch
Banned
Rep
Drives: E60 530D M SPORT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
I go with answer C.
ill say shoot them and ask questions later
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 02:25 PM   #8
Mark II
The Grim Reapers Love Child
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M-Sport Coupe

It's a twisted world we live in.

Does provoke further thought though: I mean, if the car did explode and the driver attempting to assist the injured party had been injured by shrapnel, could she sue the injured driver (or her estate) for damages?

BTW: I'm not a solicitor (lawyer), just playing devils advocate

Previous: e92 M-Sport. TiAg. Black Dakota. Creamy 6cyl diesel. Stage II Tune. Performance exhaust. K&N. Auto+paddles. Quaife LSD. BMW BBK+Cool Carbon S/T. Goodridge. 19" Breyton Race GTS. Vredesteins. M3 lip. Prof nav. Xenons. Voice. Sun protection. Pdc. etc..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 03:08 PM   #9
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
I bet they're not friends anymore. I wonder what Van Horn's family would do if Torti had not tried to aid her "friend" and the car burst in flames and Van Horn had died. Future "Good Samaritans" will view this case and figure it's not worth the risk.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0