BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board

12-22-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
titaniume90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 335i

unemployed, need a job in jacksonville, FL

Anyone have any ideas? Can't find a job for the life of me and it doesn't seem like its getting easier. Bachelors degree especially in business seems absolutely useless
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #2
Sara
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: A car

jobs.net
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 10:33 AM   #3
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniume90 View Post
Anyone have any ideas? Can't find a job for the life of me and it doesn't seem like its getting easier. Bachelors degree especially in business seems absolutely useless
unfortunately right now the job market is pretty bad due to the current economic situations. It's pretty slow at the end of the year regardless so I think you will have better luck come January. You may want to contact a staffing agency taht will place you and look for a position whether it be contract or part time so that you can get your foot in the door.

However if you're looking for a job yourself, from what I read on msn this past week the healthy job industries are education, accounting, and healthcare. Since you have a degree in business, the accounting area is probably your best bet. You just have to be persistence and send out as many resumes as possible. Take what you can get during these times taht will allow you to pay your bills, rent, etc.. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 10:44 AM   #4
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

You can always look at craigslist, and if you really want a job, why not go for a master's program?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 11:05 AM   #5
Seminole
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Red Flyer

Garage List
2008 E90 328i  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post
unfortunately right now the job market is pretty bad due to the current economic situations. It's pretty slow at the end of the year regardless so I think you will have better luck come January. You may want to contact a staffing agency taht will place you and look for a position whether it be contract or part time so that you can get your foot in the door.

However if you're looking for a job yourself, from what I read on msn this past week the healthy job industries are education, accounting, and healthcare. Since you have a degree in business, the accounting area is probably your best bet. You just have to be persistence and send out as many resumes as possible. Take what you can get during these times taht will allow you to pay your bills, rent, etc.. Good luck
Most of the accounting jobs require having at least 150 hours and being CPA eligible.

OP, your best bet would be to try and expand your search to jobs other than just business. Just because your degree is in Business doesn't mean you have to work in it. If you have some type of unique skill that can be applied to another industry than go for it.

Another really good idea like darkphantom said is use this time to get a higher degree. Not only are you being proactive during a time when you can't work, but once you can get a job again you are increasing your value to a potential employer.

GL.
      12-22-2008, 11:25 AM   #6
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
You can always look at craigslist, and if you really want a job, why not go for a master's program?
its true but the time that is used to obtain the masters degree does not necessarily equate to more income
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #7
pdjafari
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

^^agreed. I work with other Systems Engineers, Network Engineers along with Enterprise Systems/Network architects and none of these guys have more than a bachelors. They however do have alot of work experience and knowledge along with alot of certs like CISSP. I have noticed though they are all buddies with my companies CTO (HP) - chief technology officer so that could have something to do with it...

Networking is the most important thing IMHO...having a couple beers with teh CTO every week, guarantee's your position when others get laid off....
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 11:29 AM   #8
Joonsup
Lieutenant General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E30 325i

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by electronicwoot.com View Post
its true but the time that is used to obtain the masters degree does not necessarily equate to more income
that's how i feel as well. And on top of that there's no gaurantee that you will make more income, it is gauranteed that you will have more expense with the cost of getting a higher degree. And if you have student loans already from your undergrad, then it'll make it even more burdensome in the future. At least that's my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #9
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

That is true about the time not equating to income, however, there are various companies that I know of, if you work with them, and tell them you're getting your master's - they will pay for your schooling while you're with them, on the catch that you go with them when you graduate.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 11:44 AM   #10
titaniume90
Private First Class
Rep

continuing education at this point would be difficult from a financial standpoint. The problem is that I have skills but no certifications or experience to go along with them. Maybe I need to get back into web design. Most of the problem is the economy coupled with the holiday/ end of the year. Hopefully things will free up a little in january. I have applied for every job imaginable even if my specific skills or degree don't apply, but I have had no luck
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 11:52 AM   #11
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniume90 View Post
continuing education at this point would be difficult from a financial standpoint. The problem is that I have skills but no certifications or experience to go along with them. Maybe I need to get back into web design. Most of the problem is the economy coupled with the holiday/ end of the year. Hopefully things will free up a little in january. I have applied for every job imaginable even if my specific skills or degree don't apply, but I have had no luck
Shadow someone, and get experience in the shortrun, it may not pay, but you will get experience which you can use to get a job...
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 12:04 PM   #12
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

Getting into a worthwhile MBA program this application season is extremely difficult as most b-schools have gotten a flood of apps due to all the layoffs etc. in finance. It's not a good idea from that perspective, not to mention the cost associated w/an MBA. Is there a reason why you're only looking at jobs in that specific location? If you broaden your search area to include other states, it would probably be a little easier to land something.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 12:09 PM   #13
GreenThree
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90

Masters does necessarily mean more pay. It also does not guarantee a position over someone without a masters. It all depends what the employer is looking for. If you got back into web design, you could free lance, and just charge for services. What are your qualifications / backgrounds? Good luck

2015 335xi | Mineral Grey Metallic | Black Dakota Leather | NAV | SportLine | ZPP | ZDA | ZCW | Munich Build

Retired: 2008, 2011, 2013 328xi
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 12:33 PM   #14
titaniume90
Private First Class
Rep

haha believe me I got the memo, I just didn't pay attention to it. I honestly think that had I not gone to college I would probably be better off both financially and professionally but that's neither here nor there. As far as a masters goes, I know a few people with masters degrees that are also in the same position. Apparently this thing called "experience" seems to make employers feel comfortable with those they are hiring, when in reality 99% of the jobs I have applied for require you to be at the intelligence level of a middle school graduate at best. Apparently a year or two of management experience and a college education will only get you a job selling breakfast or dinner to people going to and from work.

At this point I have flooded the internet with resumes, emails, and phone calls. I have exhausted any personal acquaintances, and have done the footwork with no luck. Apparently the suggested unemployment rate of 7% in Florida is just that suggested, and nowhere near accurate.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 01:09 PM   #15
darkphantom
Banned
Rep

thank god I'm in texas, jobs are plentiful here.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 01:12 PM   #16
titaniume90
Private First Class
Rep

I think florida is part of the problem,specifically jacksonville.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 01:38 PM   #17
nissan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP

Why are you only looking in FL? FL & CA's economies are doing way worse than a lot of other states in the US.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 09:43 AM   #18
MCS
e90 newbie
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 E93

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
What sort of experience do you have?

I know some people in JAX
      12-23-2008, 11:42 AM   #19
denlin68
台妹爱我
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2012 Evolution X

Deutsche Bank Has an outsource job there ! try there
2012 Mitsubishi Evolution X Current
2013 BMWX1 xDrive28i Current
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 07:06 PM   #20
kabalm18
My car drones and I LOVE IT!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M & F10 535xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkphantom View Post
That is true about the time not equating to income, however, there are various companies that I know of, if you work with them, and tell them you're getting your master's - they will pay for your schooling while you're with them, on the catch that you go with them when you graduate.
The company I am at pays for your schooling regardless the level of the Degree as long it applies to any field they employ which includes engineering, IT, Business, Accounting...basically anything. They also dont care what degree you have to move up in the company, meaning they just want to see if you can stick it out. Any degree and the experience with the company along with a strong work ethic will get you promoted. We are very lucky!
Appreciate 0