Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheels question...

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-20-2008, 05:35 AM   #1
willa1975
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i

Wheels question...

Trying to figure out my plan with regards to tires/wheels for my impending vehicle. Getting the sport package with the 189s, although I haven't ruled out the 230s just yet.

I've heard lots of not-too-positive feedback on the Bridgestone RFTs, but it seems like the Michelin PS2 RFTs are a big improvement. However, I understand that it's pretty much luck of the draw with respect to which tires you end up with.

I'm thinking that I will stick with the Michelins if my car comes with them, and pick up a set of winter tires on another set of wheels. If I get the Bridgestones (assuming I stick with the 189s), then I will probably get a set of 19-inch wheels with summer tires, and put winter tires on the 189s.

Anyway, a couple of questions...I'm under the impression that there's not much difference in ride quality between the 18- and 19-inch wheels. Is that correct? I do a lot of city driving, hence I have quite a few potholes to dodge. Is there much of a difference in risk of tire/wheel damage with 19-inch versus 18-inch wheels? Or is it mainly a matter of personal preference and whether or not one is willing to pay the extra $ for 19-inch tires? Also, are the Michelin PS2s available as OEM tires on the style 230 wheels? And are the Bridgestones really that bad? And, it is possible to put non-RFTs on the OEM wheels and have the TPMS work properly?

I think that's about it for now.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 10:18 AM   #2
Balthazar_B
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by willa1975 View Post
Trying to figure out my plan with regards to tires/wheels for my impending vehicle. Getting the sport package with the 189s, although I haven't ruled out the 230s just yet.

I've heard lots of not-too-positive feedback on the Bridgestone RFTs, but it seems like the Michelin PS2 RFTs are a big improvement. However, I understand that it's pretty much luck of the draw with respect to which tires you end up with.
Your understanding is correct.

Quote:
I'm thinking that I will stick with the Michelins if my car comes with them, and pick up a set of winter tires on another set of wheels. If I get the Bridgestones (assuming I stick with the 189s), then I will probably get a set of 19-inch wheels with summer tires, and put winter tires on the 189s.
That's a common strategy. If you get the 189s but aren't in love with them you could sell them and get a rim/tire for perhaps only a little more (or even less).

Quote:
Anyway, a couple of questions...I'm under the impression that there's not much difference in ride quality between the 18- and 19-inch wheels. Is that correct?
Not much, all other things being equal.

Quote:
I do a lot of city driving, hence I have quite a few potholes to dodge. Is there much of a difference in risk of tire/wheel damage with 19-inch versus 18-inch wheels? Or is it mainly a matter of personal preference and whether or not one is willing to pay the extra $ for 19-inch tires?
Depends more on the quality of the wheels than their diameter. A well-designed low-pressure cast or forged 19" wheel will likely survive better than a poorly-designed gravity cast 18" wheel. But again, all other things being equal, an 18" wheel has a small advantage over a 19" wheel. You can always consider wheel/tire insurance if your streets are as bad as you say...

Quote:
Also, are the Michelin PS2s available as OEM tires on the style 230 wheels?
I don't know, but it would be easy to find out at Tire Rack's website...

Quote:
And are the Bridgestones really that bad?
I got Bridgestones on my car, and while I would have preferred Michelins, I have to say that so far they haven't been as bad as I had feared from reading these forums the past couple of years. But then potholes are very rare around my neck of the woods. That said, I'll be replacing them before they need to be.

Quote:
And, it is possible to put non-RFTs on the OEM wheels and have the TPMS work properly?
Yes, but you will have to recalibrate your TPMS.

Quote:
I think that's about it for now.
Have fun!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #3
willa1975
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i

Thanks for the reply. I rather like both the 189 and the 230 wheels. I've got plenty of time to make up my mind...it will probably come down to whether or not I want to spend the extra $1000. I'll make that decision by the end of next month.

Assuming I get the 189s, and assuming that it will be nearly March by the time my car arrives, I'll probably make do with whatever RFTs the car comes with over the summer. If I'm happy with them, I'll get a set of winter tires and wheels. If I'm not, I'll throw some winter tires on the OEM wheels and buy a new set of 19" wheels and tires for the spring.
Appreciate 0