F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 N55 Valvetronic Issue 134F02
GetBMWParts

08-04-2022, 01:07 PM   #1
oswaldox5199
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 335is 2013 BMW M5

F30 N55 Valvetronic Issue 134F02

Hi guys I'm having an issue with my N55. When I first got it it had misfires on 5 cylinders, and Valvetronic code for ADJUSTMENT FAULT TO FREQUENT. I noticed someone was previously working on it and replaced the spark plugs and coils and was moving the injectors around. I came to the conclusion that it's the Valvetronic and not a misfire causing the issues. I opened up the valve cover and removed the motor and felt that the shaft was too stiff so I changed the shaft and the Valvetronic motor. Installed it and checked everything and put it all back together. Ran Ista+ Start up Valvetronic and it passed all 500 something cycles. From there I drove it to the gas station, ran smooth no issues at all got it up to 80 mph with no issue and after I filled up gas and went to start the car I started getting a low misfire and drivetrain malfunction. I noticed that it was the same issue again ADJUSTMENT FAULT TO FREQUENT. So I drove it back in limp mode. I then took off the Intake Manifold to inspect the valves and they were so dirty. So then I did a walnut blast on the valves and tested the car and no luck. I found a function for walnut blasting and I couldn't do it because of the misfire so I went ahead and bought all new spark plugs and the misfire almost went away, it's so small that the DME won't turn off the injector ran the test and then ran START UP VALVETRONIC but the Valvetronic would not cycle at all. All of my connections are good, I hear the car cycle when I open the door. I even reflashed the DME twice and still no luck. I now just get code 134F02 STOP NOT LEARNED I'm not sure what to do from here, my guess is that the DME is faulty. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for reading
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 03:35 PM   #2
yupetc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 X535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by oswaldox5199 View Post
Hi guys I'm having an issue with my N55. When I first got it it had misfires on 5 cylinders, and Valvetronic code for ADJUSTMENT FAULT TO FREQUENT. I noticed someone was previously working on it and replaced the spark plugs and coils and was moving the injectors around. I came to the conclusion that it's the Valvetronic and not a misfire causing the issues. I opened up the valve cover and removed the motor and felt that the shaft was too stiff so I changed the shaft and the Valvetronic motor. Installed it and checked everything and put it all back together. Ran Ista+ Start up Valvetronic and it passed all 500 something cycles. From there I drove it to the gas station, ran smooth no issues at all got it up to 80 mph with no issue and after I filled up gas and went to start the car I started getting a low misfire and drivetrain malfunction. I noticed that it was the same issue again ADJUSTMENT FAULT TO FREQUENT. So I drove it back in limp mode. I then took off the Intake Manifold to inspect the valves and they were so dirty. So then I did a walnut blast on the valves and tested the car and no luck. I found a function for walnut blasting and I couldn't do it because of the misfire so I went ahead and bought all new spark plugs and the misfire almost went away, it's so small that the DME won't turn off the injector ran the test and then ran START UP VALVETRONIC but the Valvetronic would not cycle at all. All of my connections are good, I hear the car cycle when I open the door. I even reflashed the DME twice and still no luck. I now just get code 134F02 STOP NOT LEARNED I'm not sure what to do from here, my guess is that the DME is faulty. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for reading
Only thing I can really think of, after you seemingly have replaced everything else, is that the eccentric cam shaft could be worn and needing replacement. I've seen a few of these discussed elsewhere, but that doesn't mean yours is the same. Just worth investigating. And doing this work will require some special tools to unsprung the fulcrum lifters out the way. Not the easiest job to do unless you have all of the tools. Good luck, bro.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 06:47 AM   #3
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Confirm that the connector for the valvetronic motor is dry (no oil).

Did you replace the seal?

What else is ISTA telling you?

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 01:32 PM   #4
oswaldox5199
Rep

Hey sorry for not replying, I stopped working on the car, I have already changed everything (Valvetronic Motor and shaft) I ended up doing a adaptation reset and now I only have a cylinder 2 misfire, i used to have a Cyl 3 and 4 misfire. It's got, new coils, injectors and spark plugs. I even changed them between cylinders and it's all the same. Compression test came out to 180 on all cylinders. I'm thinking the intake and exhaust valves need to be adapted but I'm not sure what functional test to use. The start up after walnut blasting seems to be sort of what I'm after but I can't use that test because my check engine light comes on quickly. Does anyone have any clues?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 01:34 PM   #5
oswaldox5199
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post

Quote:

Seal is new, it's not leaking. I just have 2 fault codes.

1 is Valvetronic stop position not learned
2nd one is Cyl 2 misfire
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 02:50 PM   #6
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

2nd one is Cyl 2 misfire
Just to confirm. When I say no oil I'm talking inside the connector.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2022, 02:52 PM   #7
oswaldox5199
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

2nd one is Cyl 2 misfire
Quote:
Quote:

2nd one is Cyl 2 misfire

No oil inside connector, all wires are good.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3611.00
      09-26-2022, 08:18 PM   #8
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No oil inside connector, all wires are good.

Did you replace the needle bearings when you also did the eccentric shaft?

Was the oil squirter which feeds the valvetronic motor clear?

How did the camshaft ledge look?

Appreciate 0