F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Front Strut Lengths (xDrive)
GetBMWParts

07-30-2022, 03:14 AM   #1
HowardP998
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d x-drive

Front Strut Lengths (xDrive)

I'm stuck on a DIY suspension refurbishment. Could do with some help please.
The plan was to replace the OEM shock absorbers with Bilstein B4 (OEM replacement). I did not want to get into declaring suspension modifications or I would have gone for the B6 option.

I started with the rears. Easy. Then I moved to the fronts. Much harder. Just getting the old struts off was a challenge until I loosened the thrust mounts and track control bushes. Still not straightforward. I opted not to remove the hubs from the driveshafts based on some (good) YouTube videos but the clearance of the strut out of the wheel arches was tight. If the struts were any longer they it would not be clearing the wheel arches. This is where I hit trouble. The new B4 struts were 45mm longer than the old ones. No chance. So, I contacted the vendor (AutoDoc in Germany). I provided the VIN as well as the UK registration and they now tell me that there are no B4 fitments for my vehicle. Strange. All the Bilstein vendors list these B4 options for my vehicle and they also match my original OEN numbers. What AutoDoc say is that there are B6 options for my vehicle. I am considering going to the B6 option but I have zero confidence that the strut lengths will be correct. Does anyone have experience of strut length issues such as mine? I have asked Bilstein to provide the correct B4 and B6 options for my VIN and with my OENs. I am awaiting their reply.

The following are the details:

The original fitment on my 2014 F30 320d X-drive:[/B]
Front Left: 31 31 6 791 553-03
Front Right: 31 31 6 791 554-03
Rear: 33 52 6 868 654-01
I am 100% certain that these are the originally fitted units. I bought the car at 1 year old and 18k miles. These are BMW parts, made in Poland.
The dimension from the top of the strut body where the telescope enters the main body to the shoulder just below the upper mount thread is 134mm.

The B4 units initially sent by AutoDoc:
Front Left: B4: 22-238269
Front Right: B4: 22-238276
Rear Left & Right: B4: 19-220093
The dimension from the top of the front strut body where the telescope enters the main body to the shoulder just below the upper mount thread is 179mm. This is 45mm more than the original units. There is no way that this assembly will fit under the wheel arch without dismantling the front drive hub from the drive shaft. I can not remove the front drive hub with the car on axle stands. The torque is too great and so I am faced with having to put the old units back on in order to get the car back on the road whilst sorting out the issue.

The suggested B6 options:
Front Left: B6 35-264583 (OEN: 31 31 6 874 373)
Front Right: B6: 35-264590 (OEN: 31 31 6 874 374)
Rear B6: 24-264570 (OEN: 33 52 6 874 377)

At the very least I need to know the dimensions of the front B6 units before ordering them.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 08:19 AM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Have you checked the Bilstein European catalog? Link below. It shows four different line listings for your 2014 model year car. See photo. You'll need to zero in on exactly which you have by engine, etc. But I took a quick look and saw B4 replacements definitely listed.

http://web1.carparts-cat.com/default...849&1260=1

Don't be too quick to give up on there being B4 for your car and installing a B6 instead. Bilstein sells many more B4 replacements so it would not make sense for there not to be one. It's more likely that the retailer screwed up by sending the incorrect part number or by providing incorrect information. The B6 is setup a lot stiffer than stock so you may not be happy with it.

You should be able to remove center nut by replacing tire and lowering car so ground prevents it from turning. You'll need a long breaker bar with perhaps a 18"-24" piece of pipe added (inexpensive from a hardware store, Home Depot, Lowe's) to provide the needed torque.

I've got a 25" breaker bar for $20 from Harbor Freight and a piece of pipe for <$20 that slides over it. It easily generates hundreds of pounds of torque to remove anything. Just get a good socket on the nut and orient the breaker bar so that you can push down with your weight on the end of the pipe. Spray some penetrant if possible.

See this excellent video by FaRKle! for details.

Hope this helps!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 01:31 PM   #3
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

Would love to hear the followup on this...

I literally have the same struts in a basket ready to order.

I own a 2012.10 production 335i xdrive. That being said my original parts are a different number. I just did my brakes so I had a moment to snap some pics and verify.

The DIY videos online make it look quite simple... Good thing I caught this before diving in!

Option two for me would be to order the sachs parts, which people say are BMWs OE producers. They are even make in Poland as well, same factory probably.

Last edited by anom3; 08-15-2022 at 01:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 01:41 PM   #4
anom3
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 335ix

Also, regarding not being able to get the strut in there:

Have you thought about removing the fenders? Quite easy... I did mine about 4 years ago, but just looked at a video online and its quite easy:

Looks like this would free up a few extra cm of clearance at least.

---

Another idea is to compress the springs while removing / installing the struts?

---
Appreciate 0