BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M5 F90 (2018+) General Forums iDrive, Nav, Stereo, Bluetooth, Electronics    Beyond disappointed with the H/K

07-30-2022, 01:41 AM   #1
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '22 M5C

Beyond disappointed with the H/K

I was one of the unfortunate few who never had the B&W option when I ordered my '22M5C or any point thereafter. I've got to say, while I bought this car for the performance, I also bought it for the luxury, and for a $150k car to have this pathetic of an audio system is infuriating. BMW really should be ashamed of themselves for even offering the H/K as an option on the M5. In fact, it'd be nice if they would offer an upgrade option for those of us who weren't able to order to get the B&W, and at a steep discount, to get it if we want it.

I am very seriously contemplating ordering a '23 M5C now (if I can't wait for the next gen M5) just so I can have the B&W audio.

The Revel system in my wife's Navi is freaking amazing and is what should come standard in every luxury car. This is really starting to eat at me because the H/K is so disappointing
Appreciate 2
PhatLyfe985.00
afo818254.50
      07-30-2022, 01:59 AM   #2
parky1215
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F90 M5C | G06 X6 M60i

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgmike View Post
I was one of the unfortunate few who never had the B&W option when I ordered my '22M5C or any point thereafter. I've got to say, while I bought this car for the performance, I also bought it for the luxury, and for a $150k car to have this pathetic of an audio system is infuriating. BMW really should be ashamed of themselves for even offering the H/K as an option on the M5. In fact, it'd be nice if they would offer an upgrade option for those of us who weren't able to order to get the B&W, and at a steep discount, to get it if we want it.

I am very seriously contemplating ordering a '23 M5C now (if I can't wait for the next gen M5) just so I can have the B&W audio.

The Revel system in my wife's Navi is freaking amazing and is what should come standard in every luxury car. This is really starting to eat at me because the H/K is so disappointing
Try this EQ setting. It improved sound quality on my 22 M5C.
https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...43&postcount=2
Appreciate 2
omgmike359.00
adeuel317.00
      07-30-2022, 09:56 AM   #3
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

I had an F80 (M3) before I had my current 2018 M5 both were bought new. The M3 had the H&K speakers as an upgrade. No matter how I adjusted the EQ the sound was just ok. Sound of music is so subjective. What worked for me was replacing the H&K speakers in my M3 with Bavsound speakers and subwoofers. It really changed the sound quality to my ears and the speakers were plug and play and I did the install in my garage. Another option I considered was going with a Audison bit One DSP that would have connected to the stock head unit and more tuning options were available to fine tune the H&K speakers in the M3. You could also add aftermarket speakers as well and amps. I considered this since I had an aftermarket amp, sub, speakers, and head unit in my Tacoma.

You may want to consider the Bavsound plug and play speakers for your M5. Intresting enough I spoke with the Sales Manager at my dealership earlier this month he advised me the B&W speaker were available to be ordered at his level for the M5. I just looked and it is not an option on the BMW build page. I knew in 2018 when I was buying the M5 the B&W was a must have option for me. I hope you find a tuning option or upgrade that sounds good to your ears.
Attached Images

Last edited by Egrunt; 07-30-2022 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
omgmike359.00
      07-30-2022, 10:03 AM   #4
Rafichicago
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5 2009 E63AMG Wagon

Quote:

Just a thought. If you are even considering ordering 23 m5 and trading or selling your current 22 taking around $20k bath in the process why not spend that money for custom speaker setup ? If one has means to do that it's understandable but that thought process is interesting to say the least. Good luck with whatever choice you'll make.
Appreciate 2
omgmike359.00
TAmes104.00
      07-30-2022, 02:52 PM   #5
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafichicago View Post
Quote:

Just a thought. If you are even considering ordering 23 m5 and trading or selling your current 22 taking around $20k bath in the process why not spend that money for custom speaker setup ? If one has means to do that it's understandable but that thought process is interesting to say the least. Good luck with whatever choice you'll make.
I am definitely considering that option, and at the very least I want to put a 10" sub in the trunk cause the HK has no bass. But I don't want to do custom kick panels and other fittings beyond the sub, I'd prefer to have factory fit replacements, so I dunno. Im considering the Bavsound upgrade kit since it's plug and play.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 02:54 PM   #6
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egrunt View Post
I had an F80 (M3) before I had my current 2018 M5 both were bought new. The M3 had the H&K speakers as an upgrade. No matter how I adjusted the EQ the sound was just ok. Sound of music is so subjective. What worked for me was replacing the H&K speakers in my M3 with Bavsound speakers and subwoofers. It really changed the sound quality to my ears and the speakers were plug and play and I did the install in my garage. Another option I considered was going with a Audison bit One DSP that would have connected to the stock head unit and more tuning options were available to fine tune the H&K speakers in the M3. You could also add aftermarket speakers as well and amps. I considered this since I had an aftermarket amp, sub, speakers, and head unit in my Tacoma.

You may want to consider the Bavsound plug and play speakers for your M5. Intresting enough I spoke with the Sales Manager at my dealership earlier this month he advised me the B&W speaker were available to be ordered at his level for the M5. I just looked and it is not an option on the BMW build page. I knew in 2018 when I was buying the M5 the B&W was a must have option for me. I hope you find a tuning option or upgrade that sounds good to your ears.
Thanks, that's all good info. I'd looked at the Bavsound kit before but wasn't sure if it was enough of an increase in sound quality for the $1k cost. What I didn't want to do was buy that, put it in, then be unhappy with it, and spend more going custom. But sounds like from what you said it's a worthwhile upgrade, and outside of putting a 10" sub in my trunk, I don't want to do custom kick panels and the like. I want to use the stock openings.

I'll give the Bavsound upgrade kit a try and add a 10" sub in the trunk. Thanks for the rec!
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 02:56 PM   #7
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky1215 View Post
Quote:

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...38;postcount=2
Thanks! I'll give it a shot and see if it helps until I can order and install the Bavsound upgrade kit.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 04:47 PM   #8
bigfra
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991s , M5 Comp pack

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by parky1215 View Post
Quote:

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...38;postcount=2
Thanks! I'll give it a shot and see if it helps until I can order and install the Bavsound upgrade kit.
I've just got my M5CS, how do you change the HK settings 🤷*♂️
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2022, 07:09 PM   #9
Jarmadon
Private
Rep
Drives: 22' F90 M5C

I've talked to some people that were pleased with the bavsound, I'm thinking of just doing that. I don't want to give up any space for subs, and I listen to a lot of bass heavy music. No matter how I EQ the HK there are entire bass guitar lines I can't even hear, which is sad.
Appreciate 1
omgmike359.00
      07-30-2022, 09:03 PM   #10
micvite
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 mazda RX8

Quote:
Thanks, that's all good info. I'd looked at the Bavsound kit before but wasn't sure if it was enough of an increase in sound quality for the $1k cost. What I didn't want to do was buy that, put it in, then be unhappy with it, and spend more going custom. But sounds like from what you said it's a worthwhile upgrade, and outside of putting a 10" sub in my trunk, I don't want to do custom kick panels and the like. I want to use the stock openings.

I'll give the Bavsound upgrade kit a try and add a 10" sub in the trunk. Thanks for the rec!
Have you ever had an m5 with a sub in the trunk? If not I would highly recommend against it, just doesn't work well IMO, the back seats are so insulated it completely mutes the sub, and if you turn if up high enough to hear or feel anything you end up with rattling everywhere lol. That's how it was on my f10, personally didn't like it, but if you've done it and it works for you that's a different story since again sound is subjective.
Appreciate 1
omgmike359.00
      07-31-2022, 12:07 AM   #11
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Quote:

Have you ever had an m5 with a sub in the trunk? If not I would highly recommend against it, just doesn't work well IMO, the back seats are so insulated it completely mutes the sub, and if you turn if up high enough to hear or feel anything you end up with rattling everywhere lol. That's how it was on my f10, personally didn't like it, but if you've done it and it works for you that's a different story since again sound is subjective.
When I first saw OP's quoted comment, I thought the exact same thing. When I scrolled down to post a reply, I saw you'd beat me to it. Strongly agree with you. You are not going to get the sound you think you are from the trunk without the rear seat pass through always open. And even then, it won't sound great.

Better option for a little more bass (manage your expectations), without a full on custom set up — start with the BavSound Under Seat Ghost Sub Kit. For $600 and 1 hour of effort, you'll get much better than what the OE HK woofers provide. You're not going to get super rumbling bass, but for the cost, it's pretty good. Also, you have 100 days to return them if you don't like them, and you won't have made any permanent alterations to your car. Two M5s in with these, and it's been much better.
omgmike359.00
      07-31-2022, 12:23 AM   #12
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmadon View Post
I've talked to some people that were pleased with the bavsound, I'm thinking of just doing that. I don't want to give up any space for subs, and I listen to a lot of bass heavy music. No matter how I EQ the HK there are entire bass guitar lines I can't even hear, which is sad.
As I mentioned above, start with the under seat kit. You're not going to get incredibly punchy bass, but it's better than the complete lack of it with the HK. You can always return it if you aren't satisfied and BavSound provides excellent customer service.
      07-31-2022, 12:25 AM   #13
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egrunt View Post

+1 on this!
      07-31-2022, 01:19 AM   #14
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarmadon View Post
OMFG yes. That is by far my biggest gripe.

It's mind boggling that HK and BMW can't do better than that. Not that I consider HK high end, but what they've done with their audio quality is just unbelievably subpar. BMW really should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this piss poor of an audio system to be installed in their cars.
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2022, 01:25 AM   #15
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micvite View Post
Quote:

I have not, but I think with the right sub/amp combo in a custom box that even if muffled it would still be a massive improvement over the HK system.

The last custom audio setup I did in a car had a pair of 10" Image Dynamics IDQ V4s in a custom box in my trunk being pushed by a JL Audio 250/1 amp and it was the most perfect setup I've ever had. Tight, punchy bass. Never overpowered the music but you definitely knew I had a pair of 10s in the car. That's what I'm hoping to be able to replicate in my M. It's time to start talking to a few custom car audio shops and see what they think/can offer.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 07:52 AM   #16
Danny D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

you can always lower that middle black part (ski pass through) where the rear cup holders are to allow more bass from the trunk if you do a sub back there .
Appreciate 1
omgmike359.00
      07-31-2022, 08:51 AM   #17
subterFUSE
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 Audi R8, 2023 Audi S8

You can get excellent bass from a trunk subwoofer it just depends on the install and tuning. It's not as simple as throwing a sub box and amp in a trunk and expecting it to sound good. The sub must be installed in the correct location within the trunk, and it must be tuned to match the midbass in the car. Without a DSP this is not easy. Crossover and delay settings are critically important to ensure proper phase alignment between the midbass and the sub, or else you get cancellation. I compete in car audio sound quality meets and I'm a current IASCA national champion, and I have tuned a number of cars that have also won national championships. This is a subject I know an awful lot about. 😉
Appreciate 1
omgmike359.00
      07-31-2022, 08:52 AM   #18
Pzl1nz00
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Comp LCI

Quote:

Before you do anything, might want to check to make sure you have EQ setup best way possible.

There were some people saying B&W system isn't that great either, which is a very wrong statement, so I showed people with frequency sweeps and settings.

The B&W system needed -3/-4 on bass as an example. Watch video and maybe a few adjustments gets you closer to where you want to be?

…Side note, I have done big audio systems in cars with high end Focal Poly Kevlar speakers and all the best JL Audio stuff and frankly just don't see this as a good viable reality for a M5. To each their own I guess but putting a sub in the trunk of a M5 seems a bit off to me (yes, BMW "could have", but in this day and age, aftermarket stuff seems a bit too Ford Escort/Pontiac Grand Am/ Toyota Camry to me). Make sure you have a very good installer who isn't cutting stuff up and drilling a bunch of holes…

Appreciate 2
Jakerx701.00
omgmike359.00
      07-31-2022, 12:09 PM   #19
BDR529
Rep
Drives: 911 C2S Cab; Trackhawk

Is the Bavsound sub kit an upgrade over the BW? I’d love to get better bass than the BW system has and if that is an option i may try it.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2022, 05:17 PM   #20
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterFUSE View Post
You can get excellent bass from a trunk subwoofer it just depends on the install and tuning. It's not as simple as throwing a sub box and amp in a trunk and expecting it to sound good. The sub must be installed in the correct location within the trunk, and it must be tuned to match the midbass in the car. Without a DSP this is not easy. Crossover and delay settings are critically important to ensure proper phase alignment between the midbass and the sub, or else you get cancellation. I compete in car audio sound quality meets and I'm a current IASCA national champion, and I have tuned a number of cars that have also won national championships. This is a subject I know an awful lot about. 😉
I ordered the Bavsound ghost subs last night, hoping they'll be a big improvement over the H/Ks. If they are, probably go ahead and order the rest of the Bavsound replacement kit.
Appreciate 1
Punitive147.00
      07-31-2022, 10:32 PM   #21
ResIpsaLoquitur
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I ordered the Bavsound ghost subs last night, hoping they'll be a big improvement over the H/Ks. If they are, probably go ahead and order the rest of the Bavsound replacement kit.
Let us know how it goes! As I mentioned before, do manage your expectations! They're not going to be the systems you mentioned you created above. But they will be significantly better! Also, it's true - they need 12 hours to break in (per BavSound, but it took me closer to 20 hours). Give them the time to really compare.

A couple more (unsolicited) tips, if I may:

I don't know what your tool situation is, and it's all pretty standard, but if you think you may not have something, best to order their install kit that includes every tool you need. Don't let your parade get rained on by being excited to install it, then not having the tools.

Also, don't bother removing the entire sub enclosure. Remove the OE grill, peel back the carpet closest to you when facing the enclosure from under the trim piece, and gently lift the sub out of the enclosure after undoing the 4 subwoofer screws. You'll be met with some resistance because there is sticky, rubbery gasket between the bottom rim of the sub and the enclosure. Just give it a little force, little by little, jiggling a pry tool around the rim. Just remember that the that wiring harness is not incredibly long, so don't jerk it or jolt it too hard! When it pops out, just put in the BavSound and create the seal against the gasket again.

I've done install/uninstall on these about a dozen times.
omgmike359.00
Namelss766.00
      08-01-2022, 08:40 PM   #22
omgmike
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Let us know how it goes! As I mentioned before, do manage your expectations! They're not going to be the systems you mentioned you created above. But they will be significantly better! Also, it's true - they need 12 hours to break in (per BavSound, but it took me closer to 20 hours). Give them the time to really compare.

A couple more (unsolicited) tips, if I may:

I don't know what your tool situation is, and it's all pretty standard, but if you think you may not have something, best to order their install kit that includes every tool you need. Don't let your parade get rained on by being excited to install it, then not having the tools.

Also, don't bother removing the entire sub enclosure. Remove the OE grill, peel back the carpet closest to you when facing the enclosure from under the trim piece, and gently lift the sub out of the enclosure after undoing the 4 subwoofer screws. You'll be met with some resistance because there is sticky, rubbery gasket between the bottom rim of the sub and the enclosure. Just give it a little force, little by little, jiggling a pry tool around the rim. Just remember that the that wiring harness is not incredibly long, so don't jerk it or jolt it too hard! When it pops out, just put in the BavSound and create the seal against the gasket again.

I've done install/uninstall on these about a dozen times.
Thanks!!
Appreciate 0