F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > KW Street Comfort faulty kit?
proTUNING Freaks

07-28-2022, 01:36 AM   #1
White435
Citizen of ///M Town
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

KW Street Comfort faulty kit?

Hi guys, some time ago I got brand new KW Street Comfort coilovers kit for my 435i. Two days before installation I had an idea to set the rebound to desired value so even if my mechanic forgot to set the rebound on rear shock absotbers it wouldn't be a problem requiring taking them off the car one more time (adjustment knob on the top of the shock). When I set the front shocks to KW recommended values (9 clicks open) I noticed strange behaviour of my kit. There is a very big difference between front left and front right shock. Left shock is firm and requires using body weight to compress and the return is fairly quick and consistent. The right shock seems to be a faulty one. On the same rebound setting as left one it is much easier to compress than the left shock and the return is very slow. It takes over three times longer for the right shock to return to it's position comparing to the left shock. I asked the retailer about this and they said that it is normal behaviour and that you can't check if the shock is damaged without putting it under proper load. They said that it should be working fine with springs installed and that I can install them on my car with no worries. Anyway, I consulted it with my mechanic who will be putting it on my car and we both think that such a big difference indicates that there is indeed something wrong with my kit. He advised me to speak again to the retailer and ask them to make a warranty request. I did and they still claim that in their opinion everything is fine with my coilovers but they asked me for photos of shock absorbers serial number stickers so I suppose they are going to report it to KW on my request.

Rear shocks are softer than front but left and right behave identically so no concern there.

I wanted to ask you guys if the strange behaviour of my coilover kit is acceptable or am I right and there is definitely something wrong about them? We didn't install them yet so there are no marks of use and my mechanic claims that in his opinion the right shock is faulty. I'm installing them at indy shop that specializes in modifying and rebuilding sport cars so I think that they definitely have some experience in aftermarket parts and know what they are saying about the behaviour of my suspension.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 07:26 AM   #2
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by White435 View Post
Hi guys, some time ago I got brand new KW Street Comfort coilovers kit for my 435i. Two days before installation I had an idea to set the rebound to desired value so even if my mechanic forgot to set the rebound on rear shock absotbers it wouldn't be a problem requiring taking them off the car one more time (adjustment knob on the top of the shock). When I set the front shocks to KW recommended values (9 clicks open) I noticed strange behaviour of my kit. There is a very big difference between front left and front right shock. Left shock is firm and requires using body weight to compress and the return is fairly quick and consistent. The right shock seems to be a faulty one. On the same rebound setting as left one it is much easier to compress than the left shock and the return is very slow. It takes over three times longer for the right shock to return to it's position comparing to the left shock. I asked the retailer about this and they said that it is normal behaviour and that you can't check if the shock is damaged without putting it under proper load. They said that it should be working fine with springs installed and that I can install them on my car with no worries. Anyway, I consulted it with my mechanic who will be putting it on my car and we both think that such a big difference indicates that there is indeed something wrong with my kit. He advised me to speak again to the retailer and ask them to make a warranty request. I did and they still claim that in their opinion everything is fine with my coilovers but they asked me for photos of shock absorbers serial number stickers so I suppose they are going to report it to KW on my request.

Rear shocks are softer than front but left and right behave identically so no concern there.

I wanted to ask you guys if the strange behaviour of my coilover kit is acceptable or am I right and there is definitely something wrong about them? We didn't install them yet so there are no marks of use and my mechanic claims that in his opinion the right shock is faulty. I'm installing them at indy shop that specializes in modifying and rebuilding sport cars so I think that they definitely have some experience in aftermarket parts and know what they are saying about the behaviour of my suspension.
Why not get another opinion by asking KW tech support directly? They have been helpful when I have contacted them.

IMO focus on the technical question of whether your observation indicates that you have a defective part. Don't focus, at least in your initial contact with KW, on whether it should be returned under warranty. Those are two different functions most likely handled by different departments.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 07:37 AM   #3
White435
Citizen of ///M Town
Poland
Rep
Drives: 2014 435i xDrive

UPDATE: Retailer (official distributor of KW suspension) after I requested them to open a warranty request contacted manufacturer and KW does not see any possible problems with the operation of my suspension. They also state that operation of the suspension can be only measured as a whole unit not only by watching the shock absorbers. I asked them if I install the suspension and immidiately go to diagnostic tests and the results indicate worn shock will they cover the cost of reinstall.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 09:41 AM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

I highly doubt they will approve covering labor, but good luck

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
johnung4531.00
      07-28-2022, 10:12 AM   #5
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

If you're convinced it is faulty, dont install...return the KW and get something else.

Ohlins?

Or a non adjustable spring/damper combo, such as Eibach Pro-Kit springs, Koni Sport yellow or Special Active (red) dampers, F80 bumpstops, new strutmounts and spring perches etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2022, 10:28 AM   #6
johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by White435 View Post
UPDATE: Retailer (official distributor of KW suspension) after I requested them to open a warranty request contacted manufacturer and KW does not see any possible problems with the operation of my suspension. They also state that operation of the suspension can be only measured as a whole unit not only by watching the shock absorbers. I asked them if I install the suspension and immidiately go to diagnostic tests and the results indicate worn shock will they cover the cost of reinstall.
Again, contact KW directly without using the retailer as a buffer. Give same symptoms that you did in your post. It takes a minute to send a support email. Piece of mind if they tell you the same thing.
Appreciate 1
pauli18c211.00